House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Ticketless Bus Plan - South Yorks

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/ticketless_bus_plan_1_3753322

Passengers will be able to touch their debit or credit card on a machine when boarding and alighting from a bus, to pay their fare.

It means people will no longer have to carry change to buy a ticket from the driver.

First said it intends to be the first bus operator outside London to offer customers ‘touch in touch out’ contactless payment and the technology will be introduced in South Yorkshire during 2012.

The system will also allow First to offer a range of tickets and cap the daily fare.

But customers won’t need to carry an additional card or worry about pre-payment or topping up.

Customers using the contactless cards will simply see the cost of the fare deducted from their bank or credit card balance.

Is this a nice way to increase profits? What happens if you get off and forget to skim your card or the reader fails to read your card when getting off? What do you get charged then? How will the user confirm that they have been registered as getting off?

If it's just minimum fare if you are registered as never getting off the system will be abused, however if you get charged full fare the company will get bogged down in people appealing over their fares.

Edited by interestrateripoff

Is this a nice way to increase profits? What happens if you get off and forget to skim your card or the reader fails to read your card when getting off? What do you get charged then? How will the user confirm that they have been registered as getting off?

If it's just minimum fare if you are registered as never getting off the system will be abused, however if you get charged full fare the company will get bogged down in people appealing over their fares.

I would think that a fare would need to be added to the system and the scanner put in a ready / read state in order for a payment to take place. I think it's just a more convenient way to buy tickets. I can't see good old cash getting phased out any time soon though.

Oyster is very similar, and has problems with incorrect fares... they appear to get round this buy being a little cheaper than a normal ticket so people don't mind so much. Oyster arent bogged down with people complaining.

Oyster is very similar, and has problems with incorrect fares... they appear to get round this buy being a little cheaper than a normal ticket so people don't mind so much. Oyster arent bogged down with people complaining.

Oyster is London?

We are talking about South Yorks and Sheffield. People here like complaining, give them any excuse and they will especially when money is involved.

This isn't just for busses, its planned for all small transactions. My Barlcays card has it enabled already. basically any card transaction machine will allow it, limitted to no more than about 30 quid a day (to stop thieves getting too rich)

A welcome change imho. more efficient use of all our time. Would even cause that terrible word "growth" ;)

This isn't just for busses, its planned for all small transactions. My Barlcays card has it enabled already. basically any card transaction machine will allow it, limitted to no more than about 30 quid a day (to stop thieves getting too rich)

A welcome change imho. more efficient use of all our time. Would even cause that terrible word "growth" ;)

I can't wait for them to remove cash entirely, tbh.

;)

I'm in Poland, they've had an Oyster-alike card for a while, problem is occasionally mine loses its memory that I've prepaid and I get an aggressive plain clothed ticket inspector bellowing in my face (quite literally) and a scene in front of other passengers as he or she shows me the red highlighted penalty screen on their little PDA machines (with built in camera). I then produce the printed receipt proving the money I had put on the card and they leave me alone, but it's a hassle each time as I don't speak Polish and everyone stares on the always very crowded trams and buses

Not sure, but I think some mobile phones interfere with the travel card's chip, so I can't store them near each other

I'd be really happy to go back to the old printed and punched season ticket card, it was modern, safe and had a hologram yet they replaced it with technology which doesn't always work and frequently the high tech machines you encode the card with simply play up

I'm in Poland, they've had an Oyster-alike card for a while, problem is occasionally mine loses its memory that I've prepaid and I get an aggressive plain clothed ticket inspector bellowing in my face (quite literally) and a scene in front of other passengers as he or she shows me the red highlighted penalty screen on their little PDA machines (with built in camera). I then produce the printed receipt proving the money I had put on the card and they leave me alone, but it's a hassle each time as I don't speak Polish and everyone stares on the always very crowded trams and buses

Not sure, but I think some mobile phones interfere with the travel card's chip, so I can't store them near each other

I'd be really happy to go back to the old printed and punched season ticket card, it was modern, safe and had a hologram yet they replaced it with technology which doesn't always work and frequently the high tech machines you encode the card with simply play up

Oh no problem, just get yourself chipped.

Shoulder or butt cheek, quick injection and you are wired into the system 24/7

Easy, convenient. I can't wait.

Oh no problem, just get yourself chipped.

Shoulder or butt cheek, quick injection and you are wired into the system 24/7

Easy, convenient. I can't wait.

Talking of butt cheeks, the mosquitoes here are all over, and last week - well you can guess where they repeatedly bit me when I was out cycling

Talking of butt cheeks, the mosquitoes here are all over, and last week - well you can guess where they repeatedly bit me when I was out cycling

Have to be careful, they can spread diseases where they sting and bite.

Nothing you can do once something like malaria is in the bloodstream.

Have to be careful, they can spread diseases where they sting and bite.

Nothing you can do once something like malaria is in the bloodstream.

Here they are pretty cunning and hide in rooms until the lights are out, then you can catch them when you put the lights back on, some of the repellents work but nasty chemicals in them which I prefer not to use

I'm hoping malaria mosquitoes are no longer in these parts :lol:

they say they aren't!

You'll be interested in the following articles then...

Abstract: BlackBerry mobile phones – implicated in erasing smart card data?

Link: http://contactless.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/blackberry-mobile-phones-implicated-in-erasing-smart-card-data/

Abstract: US Passports now have foil linings – we wonder why???

Link: http://contactless.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/us-passports-now-have-foil-linings-we-wonder-why/

It seems that the 'foil-hatters' were right afterall!!!

Buses around here have really poor process for those with passes. YOu come on the bus - place it onto the bit by the driver - he presses a button and a ticket is printed for you to take. What is the point ?! Walk on - scan it past the reader - if all ok green light flashes if not red light woop woop - driver can get involved. Otherwise everyone just wanders on.

Why does someone need a ticket if they already have one ? If it is for audit purposes then let the bus print one for itself or keep some record when each person walks past and scans their pass. Passengers dont want another ticket - they already have a pass in their wallets. I suppose it may be to do with 'security' and checking the pic on the pass. Although not all have this and the drivers barely look anyway. In fact you have to put the pass face down on the reader so there is that reason out the window.

Anyway - rant over. :D

Buses around here have really poor process for those with passes. YOu come on the bus - place it onto the bit by the driver - he presses a button and a ticket is printed for you to take. What is the point ?! Walk on - scan it past the reader - if all ok green light flashes if not red light woop woop - driver can get involved. Otherwise everyone just wanders on.

Why does someone need a ticket if they already have one ? If it is for audit purposes then let the bus print one for itself or keep some record when each person walks past and scans their pass. Passengers dont want another ticket - they already have a pass in their wallets. I suppose it may be to do with 'security' and checking the pic on the pass. Although not all have this and the drivers barely look anyway. In fact you have to put the pass face down on the reader so there is that reason out the window.

Anyway - rant over. :D

I don’t think that’s true on the Lothian Buses in Edinburgh. People with period tickets (‘Ridacards’) touch their cards on the reader by the driver and wait for it to go ‘beep’. They don’t get issued with a paper ticket.

On First Buses, however, pensioners with a free travel pass do get issued with a ticket when they show their passes. (Non-Edinburgh folk, First Bus routes are mostly the longer ones going to/from East, West and Midlothian. Within the City of Edinburgh Lothian Buses have a virtual monopoly.)

One thing that I find very mildly annoying is that the electronic readers in the Lothian buses seem quite slow: the passenger puts his/her card on the reader, and it can then be a second or more before it goes ‘beep’. The Oyster readers in London have no such delay.

The bus *****ers pulled a fast one a couple of years ago here and then built on it.

They decided not give out change anymore but set the prices so that they never ended in a round number. Result was they got to trouser a lot of change.

Then they rounded all the prices up to whole £'s.

I used to use the bus occasionally to go to town because daughter used to like to ride on the top floor but I wouldnt use one now, not for half the price.

It is a huge scam, busses put up their fares and then soon after all the car parks put up their prices, rinse and repeat. The cost of driving/parking seems to always be kept pretty close to using a bus. Screw them.

Oyster is London?

We are talking about South Yorks and Sheffield. People here like complaining, give them any excuse and they will especially when money is involved.

People like complaining in London too, and Oyster is the most efficient means ever devised for relieving Londoners of their cash

I'd have thought a top up card like Oyster would have been better than directly debiting debit cards, however would require Oyster like payment machines at stations and in shops.

Edited by John Steed

We are talking about South Yorks and Sheffield. People here like complaining

Sheffield Forum is gonna love this development.

This isn't just for busses, its planned for all small transactions.

Taxis? Might be useful.

I can't wait for them to remove cash entirely

Merv and the BoE gang are working on it. :D

WIll you have to enter your PIN number on the bus? If not, this is just an invitation for the local pondlife to go around nicking credit and debit cards, using them for a few hours until their owner discovers the theft, rinse and repeat.

My thought is do the card providers take a cut on each transaction...if so won't that eventually pass down to the passenger by way of increased fares? :unsure:

The Hong Kong Oyster called Octopus can also be used as a payment card in 7/11s or similar. It really speeds up a queue when everyone uses these things to pay. You could also use them to get through the turnstiles at Happy Valley race course.

I think it's natural to be suspicious or cynical when something like this comes along, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Oyster user who'd want to go back to paper tickets. Indeed for a long time overground train companies wouldn't accept Oyster within London travel zones and there were a lot of complaints because it effectively prevented a lot of people esp in South London from using these cards.

There can be the odd glitch, but on the whole it works very well and is popular. If the system was flawed there's no way it would be used by literally millions every day.

it's actually quite a good system.

if you have had the opportunity to travel around europe,there are a lot of cities that operate a smartcard system,and it's very quick and easy...you can programme regular journeys in at machine where you top up your card,and it saves on receipts as you only need one or two a month,if you have to do expenses.

(I guess there is a bit of leaway for a fare increase,as a general flat-rate fare between zones can sometimes be in force,but within-zone fares are usually only about £1.50-£2 anyway...no big deal)