House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MC Fur Q

"demolish Your Dream Home"

"Demolish your dream home" - council's bombshell message to distraught owners of £250,000 property

The four-bedroom house was built half a metre too high and unintentionally positioned four to five metres away from the position approved in the planning permission after an oversight in the sale of the land. This meant the land the owners bought did not match up to the land earmarked for the house in the planning agreement.

The problem only emerged towards the end of the construction and meant the owners, Chris and Frances Huntingford, had to submit a retrospective planning application to resolve the matter. But they were devastated when the district council turned them down and issued an enforcement notice that could result in them having to pull down the house, which has been mothballed for 18 months.

Mid Suffolk planners had recommended the planning committee to approve the amended application, in which the height of the roof would have been reduced and the visual impact of the property altered, but councillors voted six-to-two to reject the plans.

That is harsh. I would hope the couple can sue the pants off everyone who caused this to happen....

Edited by MC Fur Q

"Demolish your dream home" - council's bombshell message to distraught owners of £250,000 property

That is harsh. I would hope the couple can sue the pants off everyone who caused this to happen....

Dunno how a house ends up half a metre too high by accident. The land sale is perhaps another matter, but again surely they must have had some idea it was not where they planned it would be?

Planners have too much power, but at the same time a lot of people simply don't pay much attention to what's going on.

HouseMoveTruck.jpg

Terribad

Posted Today, 02:22 PM

I'm sure Venessa Redgrave will be campaigning to stop this persecution .

'Vanessa Rent>grave'... there's an hpc joke in there somewhere .

Edit: or perhaps a user name

;)

post-17-0-86523700-1315488744_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

The project manager for my own build said the other day that it's a really good idea to get the same surveyor to do both the original plot measurements for the drawings and the setting out so if there's any discrepency when it's finished, there's only one person to blame.

Having said that, I can't understand how a house can be 5 metres off. They must have done no proper measurements whatsoever.

Absolute w@nkers.

Waverley Council do this farly frequently - to the little people. Usually the poor sod who built a shed to put his disabled kid's wheelchair in, but made it one course of bricks too high.

But Ar*adia, El*more, St Edc*nts, and all the other local developers get away with it time after time after time.

I'm sure it can't be anything to do with brown envelopes stuffed with cash, or cosy little jobs with the developers after a few soft years in the Planning Department, can it? :angry:

Absolute w@nkers.

Waverley Council do this farly frequently - to the little people. Usually the poor sod who built a shed to put his disabled kid's wheelchair in, but made it one course of bricks too high.

But Ar*adia, El*more, St Edc*nts, and all the other local developers get away with it time after time after time.

I'm sure it can't be anything to do with brown envelopes stuffed with cash, or cosy little jobs with the developers after a few soft years in the Planning Department, can it? :angry:

Yes it can.

They love it - it gives them a sense of power screwing others over and bend to their command.

I wonder why this wasnt picked up sooner. Planning wouldnt check the site through development but building standards would. I guess the developers must have found the correct site plan before submitting the drawings for building standards. Reading between the lines it seems like they got planning consent then just flung those plans away and built the house wherever they felt like in the plot. The Council will just be flexing their muscles as it undermines their precious planning system. All in all a bit of a nonsense really especially asking them to demolish it.

Planners have too much power, but at the same time a lot of people simply don't pay much attention to what's going on.

Another here.

Don't like many of the ugly 'dream-homes' anyway. The grey-frame secure-facility look has been very popular around here in recent years. This dream home totally doesn't blend in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2612073/Family-ordered-demolish-dream-500-000-home-builders-6ft-high-4ft-wide.html

Looks to me like they were chancing their arm, and I'm not sure how much sympathy I've got for them. Apart from anything else, building a balcony overlooking the neighbours when they'd almost certainly been denied permission for that on those grounds, is just inconsiderate and rude.

Building control have no concern about planning and in my experience, just pop by to make sure foundations are deep enough, basic structure uses strong enough materials and insulation thickness meets regs.

I expect the owners just pushed their luck and have gone too way far.

Next step will be some negotiation for a revised application which will get passed. When did anyone actually knock down a house for planning reasons? I know people that have enforcement notices against their build but nothing actually happens. It does of course, make the house very difficult to sell.