House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Football Clubs To Be 'forced To Interview Black Managers' As Only Two Teams Have A Non-White Boss

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035051/Brendan-Batson-says-introduve-Rooney-Rule-black-managers.html

Football clubs could be forced to interview at least one black candidate when they are looking for a new manager.

The Professional Footballer's Association are looking at bringing in the new rule because only two out of 92 bosses are black.

However, experts have warned that positive discrimination could be illegal - and people could not be interviewed solely because of their ethnicity.

I doubt this idea will get off the ground.

getty-cabinet_372679b.jpg

If they are good enough they will get the job. Of all the roles in life a football manage must be up there near #1 as performance/results count and who gives a ****** about anything else. There is absolitely no need for this. If they are good enough they will get the job. If King Kong could bring Arsenal the league they would hire him in 7 seconds and pay him 10 million per year. No kidding. It is 100% true (Hypethetical situation of course)

Maybe they should have some targets for English managers as well ? Half the premiership seems to be us sweaty socks. :D

Which - if these people were to be beleived - may show that there is a bias towards Scottish managers in the EPL. Mmm. Unlikely. They just seem to do the job well and therefore get the job. Very simple.

Its a 'nothing' article from a vacuous paper.

That's a fair point. However this subejct has been discussed serioulsy by the PFA. So it is not quite 'nothing' in terms of a story.

Non story if you ask me, using the 2009 census the percentage of black people in the England is as follows....

Black or Black British: Caribbean 1.2%

Black or Black British: African 1.5%

Black or Black British: Other 0.2%

So as a total under 3%.

92 Clubs and 2 black managers, anybody want to guess what the percentage is..... under 3%, granted it's closer to 2% than 3 but are we really going to split hairs over half a percent.

So from my point of view the number of black managers are representative of black people as a whole in this country. If you add just one more then they would be over represented as a percentage.

Non story if you ask me, using the 2009 census the percentage of black people in the England is as follows....

Black or Black British: Caribbean 1.2%

Black or Black British: African 1.5%

Black or Black British: Other 0.2%

So as a total under 3%.

92 Clubs and 2 black managers, anybody want to guess what the percentage is..... under 3%, granted it's closer to 2% than 3 but are we really going to split hairs over half a percent.

So from my point of view the number of black managers are representative of black people as a whole in this country. If you add just one more then they would be over represented as a percentage.

You should inform the PFA and Daily Mail. You can expect a grovelling apology tomorrow. Or perhaps not.

As an aside - number of white Jocks in the UK is less than 10%. I think in terms of English managers we are definitaly over represented. Not gonna trawl through all the numbers though.

i agree that when you take it as an overall percentage of population, the number of black managers seems representative. however, if you look at the professional players, there is a higher concentration of black players. does that mean that you need to encourage more white or asian players to take up the game. i dont like 'positive discrimination' as a rule. however, maybe the reason why many black players dont turn to management unlike their white peers is probably cultural. so it might be interesting to highlight that fact and get more of them to apply

Given the millions and millions at stake in the running of a club, I can only see that the club chairmen will hire the best person regardless of the skin colour. For that reason, I doubt there is any discrimination in place (especially considering the make up of the players), and therefore not requiring any discrimination against white managers.

Given the millions and millions at stake in the running of a club, I can only see that the club chairmen will hire the best person regardless of the skin colour. For that reason, I doubt there is any discrimination in place (especially considering the make up of the players), and therefore not requiring any discrimination against white managers.

I think racism still exists to a certain extent, especially with the old dodders who tend to run football clubs (and homosexuality is a huge taboo is football), but it would be interesting to see the stats for the proportion of black coaches around the football league...

i agree that when you take it as an overall percentage of population, the number of black managers seems representative. however, if you look at the professional players, there is a higher concentration of black players. does that mean that you need to encourage more white or asian players to take up the game. i dont like 'positive discrimination' as a rule. however, maybe the reason why many black players dont turn to management unlike their white peers is probably cultural. so it might be interesting to highlight that fact and get more of them to apply

Quite possibly - but why would they require 'help' or a 'push' to apply ? If you want someone to be a manager and in charge of lots of young blokes - the type of person who needs 'help' to apply for the job would instantly be in the 'No thanks' pile - for me anyway.

I think racism still exists to a certain extent, especially with the old dodders who tend to run football clubs (and homosexuality is a huge taboo is football), but it would be interesting to see the stats for the proportion of black coaches around the football league...

Not quite true with the EPL. Much of it is owned and run by Asia or the US. And I don't see that many Asian/US managers in the EPL - do you ....;)

Quite possibly - but why would they require 'help' or a 'push' to apply ? If you want someone to be a manager and in charge of lots of young blokes - the type of person who needs 'help' to apply for the job would instantly be in the 'No thanks' pile - for me anyway.

Not quite true with the EPL. Much of it is owned and run by Asia or the US. And I don't see that many Asian/US managers in the EPL - do you ....;)

I'm talking about the whole football pyramid... :)

I'm talking about the whole football pyramid... :)

Indeed. I suppose the major thing many football owners want in a manager is someone who 'understands' the game in that part of the World. Hence why I imagine even though Scottish managers have been some of the best in the World - they have rarely been outside of the UK ? Language is of course important but other countries seem to manage fine.

I would not see why an owner would think an white Brit would understand the game here and make a better manager than a black Brit.

I think the PFA should get details of the % of candidates that go for these positions in the 92 clubs and make a comparison. That would be interesting. Perhaps less black people apply for whatever reason ? If so - then it's up to them !!

I really dislike this racial/sexual forcing you see in the UK today. It just doesn't work.

Guest eight

I doubt this idea will get off the ground.

Maybe Paul Ince should have done a better job at Blackburn. It seems now like he's let "his" people down.....

Indeed. I suppose the major thing many football owners want in a manager is someone who 'understands' the game in that part of the World. Hence why I imagine even though Scottish managers have been some of the best in the World - they have rarely been outside of the UK ? Language is of course important but other countries seem to manage fine.

I would not see why an owner would think an white Brit would understand the game here and make a better manager than a black Brit.

I think the PFA should get details of the % of candidates that go for these positions in the 92 clubs and make a comparison. That would be interesting. Perhaps less black people apply for whatever reason ? If so - then it's up to them !!

I really dislike this racial/sexual forcing you see in the UK today. It just doesn't work.

My guess is that although there is a higher proportion of black players this is because sport has been an avenue for black people to attain wealth and status that doesnt exist so much in other areas.Consequently black players,althoughed skilled at the game may tend not to have the formal academic education that is requirement for managerial success.The two who are managers are most likely the exceptions.I think the point was made earlier that if they brought success very few fans would be concerned what colour they were.

My guess is that although there is a higher proportion of black players this is because sport has been an avenue for black people to attain wealth and status that doesnt exist so much in other areas.Consequently black players,althoughed skilled at the game may tend not to have the formal academic education that is requirement for managerial success.The two who are managers are most likely the exceptions.I think the point was made earlier that if they brought success very few fans would be concerned what colour they were.

Perhaps. However I don't think Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly or the likes are exactly academic geniuses ?

You are right about the fans though. Although perhaps not for certain teams in Italy etc..

i agree that when you take it as an overall percentage of population, the number of black managers seems representative. however, if you look at the professional players, there is a higher concentration of black players. does that mean that you need to encourage more white or asian players to take up the game.

At the top visible level yes but in my experience of watching non-league football for many years the number of black players reduces the further you go down. In part that's because of the international flavour of the game in the premiership. Look at the England team that played on Tuesday, three black players from 14, at a world level, especially from football playing nations the percentage of those which are black raises significantly which is what the Premiership level represents (I'd argue that the championship is half full of ex premiership teams so it's a similar story there).

I don't actually think the system will get any better as I'm finding it hard to see where the managers of the future are going to come from, most Premiership players are now so wealthy they don't need to bother having a career after then give up playing the game. Most managers these days were never that good as players in the first place, only a hand full of the top ones were ever what you would call top players in their time.

Ignoring the stats, all the black managers I have seen have been terrible, Paul Ince*, John Barnes and Jean Tigana* all crap IMO. Nothing to do with race, all to do with them individually being rubbish, if you already have an exceptionally tough industry then the likelihood that a person from a very small minority in the country getting to the top is massively against the odds. People will point to those three and say they didn't have opportunities because they are black, I'd say they didn't get them because when they were given the chance they were dire.

* To be fair to them they did and have done well lower down the chain but couldn't cut it at the top level.

How many clubs have female managers or disabled managers?

It seems to me that all the top teams are full of 'good' players. Surely this is discrimination and the millions who are 'crap' at football should be represented in these teams too.

Guest eight

I don't actually think the system will get any better as I'm finding it hard to see where the managers of the future are going to come from, most Premiership players are now so wealthy they don't need to bother having a career after then give up playing the game. Most managers these days were never that good as players in the first place, only a hand full of the top ones were ever what you would call top players in their time.

I think historically a lot of good managers have been quite ordinary (maybe frustrated?) players, whereas guys like Gullit, Keane, Barnes etc, well, you don't need me to tell you. I believe Mourinho was never even a player at all.

Which makes me wonder - I'd quite like a crack at football management. How does one retrain?

I think historically a lot of good managers have been quite ordinary (maybe frustrated?) players, whereas guys like Gullit, Keane, Barnes etc, well, you don't need me to tell you. I believe Mourinho was never even a player at all.

Which makes me wonder - I'd quite like a crack at football management. How does one retrain?

Keane :lol: