House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Is Anyone Slowly Going Mad With Trying To Sell A House?

133 posts at Is anyone slowly going mad with trying to sell a house?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1273361-Is-anyone-slowly-going-mad-with-trying-to-sell-a-house

and:

Trying to sell a house in Oct/Nov - any point ot wait until New Year??

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1295239-Trying-to-sell-a-house-in-Oct-Nov-any-point-ot-wait-until-New-Year

nikos Fri 05-Aug-11 07:59:24 Beca-thats my gut feeling too. If we extend we will still not have the right house and will never get that money back. Also we could reduce the price a bit more bit am not sure that others that we would want to buy would do the same. If we ever get sold I will promise to stop this obsession with houses. It's taking over all my thoughts.

By the time this thing is over it will take two or more generations before popular interest in houses is revived.

Becaroooo Fri 05-Aug-11 08:05:52

I can empathise with that nikos 3.gif

If you can drop the price any more then do so...also would you consider a "Fixed price" and an open day at your home to enourage viewings...you know the sort of thing...

"REDUCED!!!! For one day ONLY this house is at a special fixed rate!

Open day 10 -3 on Turn up and view!"

??????

But still a lot of denial around: write 'fixed price' and all will be well ... :rolleyes:

Aaaahhh... 'Improvements'...

Thanks for posting TMT, this is brilliant.

openerofjars Fri 05-Aug-11 11:39:40 Liking your idea about the open day: we are about to spend £4k on replacing the ancient boiler and kitchen and I'm really hoping that DH won't then try and up the price again, although it might be worth a word with the estate agent.

I can see where my DH is coming from in some respects, as our price has gone down by £20k and we are still getting people sucking their teeth and saying "Ooh, can you drop it by another £10k?". Seriously, we are almost at the point of selling our 3 bed house for the price of a 2 bed flat in the same area. It's not that bad!

We're just not getting viewings, apart from the £20k under the asking price offers from the family over the road, who I think reckon that we're going to just crack one day and just hand the keys over, gratis.

That's what they said in the mid-1990s!!

Yup! One of nice things about getting old. What goes round comes round again, and exactly the same things repeated. Almost nostalgic! laugh.gif

I think it takes one generation, that is the time from a person being too young to read or listen to news, to the age that they might think about buying. I reckon that is about 18 years or so. These new buyers then never saw the previous crash.

But still a lot of denial around: write 'fixed price' and all will be well ... :rolleyes:

That's funny, I saw this place advertised today

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35067392.html

And it says 'fixed price to achieve a quick sale'

Why would that achieve a quick sale? and not to mention the fixed price is around 90k too much! :blink:

I don't get it?

That's funny, I saw this place advertised today

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35067392.html

And it says 'fixed price to achieve a quick sale'

Why would that achieve a quick sale? and not to mention the fixed price is around 90k too much! :blink:

I don't get it?

Saw the photo and thought "hmm not bad for £190k" - then I saw that it was only a small part of that house for sale.

Fixed price = no haggling = quick sale... that's how the dear muppet saw things work at the local fruit market. Innit.

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

Saw the photo and thought "hmm not bad for £190k" - then I saw that it was only a small part of that house for sale.

Fixed price = no haggling = quick sale... that's how the dear muppet saw things work at the local fruit market. Innit.

:D

:)

I had an eye on the property market in the 90s, what we are going through now is nothing like the 90s. The 90s where just the setup for a bull trap compared to what's coming now.

By the time this thing is over it will take two or more generations before popular interest in houses is revived.

2 generations is 50 years, you mean that?

imho more like 30 years, so my tfh seems less shiny than yours!

I had an eye on the property market in the 90s, what we are going through now is nothing like the 90s. The 90s where just the setup for a bull trap compared to what's coming now.

Expand! What do you think is coming now?

Oh I know - it will be interesting to see whether this really will be the mother of all crashes and resets the system. Then there may be a longer gap between 2007 and the next peak-of-housing-bubble. But my point was that someone said that this generation will remember what happened in the present crash and won't repeat it (or something like that) whilst actually that was what was thought in the mid-1990s but people still jumped onto the next property bandwagon, which was the greatest property bubble in all English history!

Yup! One of nice things about getting old. What goes round comes round again, and exactly the same things repeated. Almost nostalgic! laugh.gif

this is much worse than the 90s and possibly as bad as the 70s, which was roughly 2 generations ago (or a smidgeon less than 2 gens)

Expand! What do you think is coming now?

Well FWIW I think the "end of times" is coming. It amazes me so many people on here are even talking of buying and putting in offers. I wouldn't touch property with a barge pole at the moment.

2 generations is 50 years, you mean that?

imho more like 30 years, so my tfh seems less shiny than yours!

TBH I don't have a clue. IMO we're going through a 1920s moment but worse. I think it will take today's twenty something generation to die of old age as grand parents before people forget.

<Edit to add: Today's 20 somethings are those who will suffer the most. As a result of two family generations telling them 'property always goes up' they are the most indebted and paid the most for the worst possible properties. They will never forget. Think of that blond in Ireland, she will be telling her grandkids that property is the worst investment possible. One of her grandsons might even become a future Fed chairman dedicated to fighting deflation in memory of his nan for all I know.

Edited by _w_

Well FWIW I think the "end of times" is coming. It amazes me so many people on here are even talking of buying and putting in offers. I wouldn't touch property with a barge pole at the moment.

The world is gonna end? :o

supadupapupascupa Fri 05-Aug-11 21:25:38

we gave up trying to sell. bought house no.2 and now rent out house no.1.

not a happy bunny because i needed my equity to do up this old house

Great idea, double up on property at the start of the biggest HPC in living memory.

this is much worse than the 90s and possibly as bad as the 70s, which was roughly 2 generations ago (or a smidgeon less than 2 gens)

Oh its much worse than then as they didn't have to resort to quantitive fiddling. We also actually had a productive economy and made stuff (sort of).

TBH I don't have a clue. IMO we're going through a 1920s moment but worse. I think it will take today's twenty something generation to die of old age as grand parents before people forget.

thing is, we have had umpteen share price booms and busts SINCE the great depression/wall street crash, people actually forgot the great depression come the 1960s, which was 30-odd years later, not quite 2 generations

and the great depression was awful, with some horrendous policy decisions as yet unmatched for stupidness in the current climate, together with a startling lack of political gain by extremist parties or lefties - instead liberal democracy seems to be breaking out everywhere (instead of say fascism)

Oh its much worse than then as they didn't have to resort to quantitive fiddling. We also actually had a productive economy and made stuff (sort of).

oh they DID need to, but they made the mistake of not doing so and dumping food in the sea to aid the recovery instead, that kind of thing