House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

575 Jobs Lost As Talktalk Closes Call Centre

My http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/575-jobs-lost-as-talktalk-closes-call-centre-2350700.html

Some 575 jobs are being lost after telecomms company TalkTalk revealed it is closing a major call centre operation in Waterford.

The company said a fall in the number of customers using the service and new outsourcing arrangements forced it to shut down the facility.

The massive job losses will further decimate a local economy already hit hard by redundancies at major pharmaceutical and electronic plants and the flagship crystal factory.

Staff at the call centre were told the operation would close after being called into meetings with management at lunchtime.

In a statement, the company said call volumes across the whole of the contact business are down 40% year-on-year. It said the vast majority of its customer support is now online.

TalkTalk said the majority of business in the Waterford call centre will be moved to external companies contracted to do the work since June.

"As our largest in-house site, the proposed closure of Waterford also allows us to reduce complexity, simplify our skill sets and bring benefits to customers as quickly as possible," TalkTalk said.

That's a big drop in call volumes.

Still it can only help the Irish jobless recovery.

I know Waterford well. This will just about finish it off. First the glassworks, now this. Feeling very sad for Waterford and the rest of the country. I've just been over and it was so quiet everywhere. People had clearly upped and gone, including many of my family. Wherever - Canada, Australia, even a couple to China. Perhaps we should follow their example. Get out while we still can.

I know Waterford well. This will just about finish it off. First the glassworks, now this. Feeling very sad for Waterford and the rest of the country. I've just been over and it was so quiet everywhere. People had clearly upped and gone, including many of my family. Wherever - Canada, Australia, even a couple to China. Perhaps we should follow their example. Get out while we still can.

+1

Edited by tomposh101

Good enough for em.

They will take it on the chin like every other austerity measure sold to them and still not have 1 clue what just happened to them.

They (the people) had plenty of chances to avoid their economic collapse. WAKE UP YOU IRISH SHEEP.