House Price Crash Forum
Monkey

Letting Agent Just Rang

Letting Agent just rang, and the conversation went:

Me: Hello

LA: hi, it was a call to say your Agreement is due for renewal next month, and i was phoning up to check that you'd want to resign

Me: err probably, i'd need to check with my G/F first, but i dont see it being a problem, what are the T&C's?

LA: the T&C's would be exactly the same for the 6 months just gone, another 6 month tennancy..

Me: any chance of a 12 month?

LA: maybe.... i'd have to contact the landlord to see if they would be happy about that, and as they dont live in this country it could take some time.

Me: well i would preffer a 12 month, or longer TBH.

LA: we dont do longer than 12 months,

Me: ok, if a 12 month is agreed any chance of a discount?

LA: No, Rent does not decrease, in October we do a rent review on all our properties, and raise the rent, this will come in effect in January...

Me: oh, so when will i know how much the rent will go up by?

LA: soon

Me: before i sign a new tennancy agreement?

LA: maybe, cant really tell,

Me: but if i sign up now, at the rent i am paying, that is locked and agreed for the whole tennancy, so any increase in January wont affect me untill my tennancy expires in 6 or 12 months?

LA: no, the rent increase will come in from January

Me: but it doesnt say that in my current Tennanct agreement, that rent is subject ot change at any point during a legally binding contract

LA: i'll contact the Landlord to see if you can stay for 12 months, and i will find out how much your rent will go up by in January

WTF!!! Really?

i know a little about contract law, but not everything, and if the contract is current, then whatever is agreed that i will pay for rent at the time of signing (unless there is a clause in it) is the price i pay untill that contract expires?

LA: hi, it was a call to say your Agreement is due for renewal next month, and i was phoning up to check that you'd want to resign

Me: err probably, i'd need to check with my G/F first, but i dont see it being a problem, what are the T&C's?

LA: the T&C's would be exactly the same for the 6 months just gone, another 6 month tennancy..

LA: maybe.... i'd have to contact the landlord to see if they would be happy about that, and as they dont live in this country it could take some time.

LA: No, Rent does not decrease, in October we do a rent review on all our properties, and raise the rent, this will come in effect in January...

Me: but if i sign up now, at the rent i am paying, that is locked and agreed for the whole tennancy, so any increase in January wont affect me untill my tennancy expires in 6 or 12 months?

Me: but it doesnt say that in my current Tennanct agreement, that rent is subject ot change at any point during a legally binding contract

LA: i'll contact the Landlord to see if you can stay for 12 months, and i will find out how much your rent will go up by in January

WTF!!! Really?

i know a little about contract law, but not everything, and if the contract is current, then whatever is agreed that i will pay for rent at the time of signing (unless there is a clause in it) is the price i pay untill that contract expires?

Nah, they can't change the price mid term. Never heard of that rubish before.

Standard lettings contract makes it binding. I don't think it's even considered 'reasonable' to have a term in there that says they can vary it.

Other types of contracts that do vary mid term say they may only do so by X% and if they exceed this increase you have the right to immediate cancellation without penalty.

Edited by Redcellar

WTF!!! Really?

That's hilarious, if you dont mind moving then:

1) You should negotiate the rent down, all things are negotiable.

2) Move onto a periodic tenancy, they have to give you 2 months notice to move, you have to give them 1....it's a good deal if you think you might move soon-ish.

If he doesn't agree to the new AST, it becomes a statutory periodic doesn't it? They may serve 2 months notice but in the interim it's a SP, right? If he doesn't go at the end of the notice period, they have to go to the court to get an Order to evict him (England & Wales law).

If he doesn't agree to the new AST, it becomes a statutory periodic doesn't it? They may serve 2 months notice but in the interim it's a SP, right? If he doesn't go at the end of the notice period, they have to go to the court to get an Order to evict him (England & Wales law).

I think this is true!!

Nah, they can't change the price mid term. Never heard of that rubish before.

Standard lettings contract makes it binding. I don't think it's even considered 'reasonable' to have a term in there that says they can vary it.

Other types of contracts that do vary mid term say they may only do so by X% and if they exceed this increase you have the right to immediate cancellation without penalty.

Exactly, i will re-read my contract tonight

That's hilarious, if you dont mind moving then:

1) You should negotiate the rent down, all things are negotiable.

2) Move onto a periodic tenancy, they have to give you 2 months notice to move, you have to give them 1....it's a good deal if you think you might move soon-ish.

We dont want ot move, we are quite happy where we are, it a nice place, nice area etc, but i am not being bullied

I think this is true!!

Well in a previous conversation with the LA , non signing of a new agreement will constitute as my 1 months notice - from memory this is not in writting, but i will check

Dont sign your contract it will almost certainly go into an AST unless you signed a sword of damocles notice to quit? http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=50262&st=195

http://www.mypropertyguide.co.uk/articles/display/10040/the-tenancy-agreement.htm

i am pretty sure they didnt issue me with a Section 21 at the time of taking on the property

They are just trying to generate revenue and work for themselves and believe it or not rents do go down becuase I have negotiated the rent down myself. Yousee not many landlords especially the Forced To Let (ie ones who couldnt sell their house) dont like voids, they only need a couple of months worth of voids and that will wipe out any spare cash they have becuase otherwise they could have afforded to drop the asking price on their house by a grand or two.

Likewise better the tenant you know than the tenant you dont!

The next tenant in could be a right pain in the backside destroying their cherished property and investment, so why not stick it back to them when they next call? Play their fears like they play yours. :D

As most are fearful of their own security they are vunerable and weak so will most likely cave in to any demands you do make within reason. I dare you to ask for a £25 quid or £50quid a month discount becuase everything else is going up and you are struggling to make ends meet if you catch my drift and see where it gets you. You can even say the GF how manages yours bills has pointed out the predicament which is why you never bought it up on the phone before hand if asked. ;)

oh i dont have issue negociating with the LA, in the 4.5 months i've been with them IMO they have not forfilled their end of the contract. if only i could get hold of the LL's email address to expalin how crap they are

Edited by Monkey

I never knew that not signing a new or renewed AST "constitutes 1 month's notice", I always thought notice was

- 1 month in writing from you to them by recorded delivery corresponding with a rent due date

- or 2 months written notice from the landlord to you

and that the only body that can actually end your tenancy/possession apart from you is the court via an Order

Exactly, i will re-read my contract tonight

We dont want ot move, we are quite happy where we are, it a nice place, nice area etc, but i am not being bullied

Well in a previous conversation with the LA , non signing of a new agreement will constitute as my 1 months notice - from memory this is not in writting, but i will check

i am pretty sure they didnt issue me with a Section 21 at the time of taking on the property

oh i dont have issue negociating with the LA, in the 4.5 months i've been with them IMO they have not forfilled their end of the contract. if only i could get hold of the LL's email address to expalin how crap they are

Oh, if it's the case that the contract doesn't state they can alter the rate. Then quietly sign an new 6 or 12 months and then later on if they try to up the charges point them to it and say no. But don't alert them before you sign a new one. They may just up the rate straight away.

Obvious I know, but felt it had to be said.

Just had another phone call,

they have contacted the LL, the LL does not want us to sign a 12 month contract, they would rather a periodic contract.

the LA then said, that it would be better for us as we would then have no fees to pay on re-signing

she then said, that if we didnt like the rent increase, then we would only need to give 1 months notice to move out.

odd

bear in mind, the last time they needed ot contact the LL, it took 2 weeks to ask/answer a simple question, and this time it was done in less than 1 hour

the only thing i can think of is if the LL is trying to sell the place, and having me on a Periodic means i can be kicked out in 2 months, at any time they find a buyer, but with a 6 or 12 month contract they cant kick me out until my contract ends

she then said that the contract DOES state that a rent increase/review will take place every January. i will check when i get home

Oh, if it's the case that the contract doesn't state they can alter the rate. Then quietly sign an new 6 or 12 months and then later on if they try to up the charges point them to it and say no. But don't alert them before you sign a new one. They may just up the rate straight away.

Obvious I know, but felt it had to be said.

i thought this after i put the phone down

Edited by Monkey

I never knew that not signing a new or renewed AST "constitutes 1 month's notice", I always thought notice was

- 1 month in writing from you to them by recorded delivery corresponding with a rent due date

- or 2 months written notice from the landlord to you

and that the only body that can actually end your tenancy/possession apart from you is the court via an Order

you are correct, its total bullst!t

you are correct, its total bullst!t

I concur...that is ball-ocks.

The OP should ask for a rent descrease, say it's because you no longer have the security of an asurred tenancy :lol:

Worst cash you will get no increase.

OT.

A family member slipped recently and put a crack in the bath in their rented house.

The tenancy agreement states that they are covered under the landlords insurers for this type of damage.

The Landlord and Tenant act 1985 states that the landlord must repair this type of damage.

They quoted these clauses to The Estate Agent who would not respond, in writing.

They demanded a plumber be sent round. One was sent, who quoted 250 to repair it. But he would not give the quote to the tenant in writing. [Turns out he's not a real plumber but a friend of the landlord]

The Landlord simply refuses to pay for it. He agrees its covered under his Insurance, but he says it might affect his premiums. So he says the tenant must pay for it. [Caused a lot of arguments between the tenant and his partner. They are on low wages]

I am so sick of the entire Industry. Its rampacked full with charlatans and robbers. Scum of the earth.

The Industry is screaming for Real Regulation. With Real penalties.

Edited by Milton

OT.

A family member slipped recently and put a crack in the bath in their rented house.

The tenancy agreement states that they are covered under the landlords insurers for this type of damage.

The Landlord and Tenant act 1985 states that the landlord must repair this type of damage.

They quoted these clauses to The Estate Agent who would not respond, in writing.

They demanded a plumber be sent round. One was sent, who quoted 250 to repair it. But he would not give the quote to the tenant in writing. [Turns out he's not a real plumber but a friend of the landlord]

The Landlord simply refuses to pay for it. He agrees its covered under his Insurance, but he says it might affect his premiums. So he says the tenant must pay for it. [Caused a lot of arguments between the tenant and his partner. They are on low wages]

I am so sick of the entire Industry. Its rampacked full with charlatans and robbers. Scum of the earth.

The Industry is screaming for Real Regulation. With Real penalties.

The whole thing needs proper regulating - from letting agents' fees to tenants to the sort of thing you describe. Shapps and the OFT are who you should contact if you agree with me

Just had another phone call,

they have contacted the LL, the LL does not want us to sign a 12 month contract, they would rather a periodic contract.

the LA then said, that it would be better for us as we would then have no fees to pay on re-signing

she then said, that if we didnt like the rent increase, then we would only need to give 1 months notice to move out.

odd

bear in mind, the last time they needed ot contact the LL, it took 2 weeks to ask/answer a simple question, and this time it was done in less than 1 hour

the only thing i can think of is if the LL is trying to sell the place, and having me on a Periodic means i can be kicked out in 2 months, at any time they find a buyer, but with a 6 or 12 month contract they cant kick me out until my contract ends

she then said that the contract DOES state that a rent increase/review will take place every January. i will check when i get home

i thought this after i put the phone down

If I were you I would do nothing until you are on a periodic tenancy, then ring up asking for a decrease - say 5-10% - because you don't have security of a fixed contract. The only reason the landlord wants a periodic is because they want the option to sell.

Also, if they want you to leave they need to give 2 months notice, and it must end on your rental date. If you leave it's one months notice, and must end on your rental date.

They could have a contract where the rent increases during the term if theres a term in the contract allowing that.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/138289.pdf

You're better off if you want to stay for a good while on an AST, but we've just done the opposite and went SP as there would be no increase/decrease in the rent and all terms were going to be the same-so for nowt we'd have been paying the tenancy renewal fee :blink: . But no right LL will be after a void and it's always better the devil you know.

Whenever you are renewing always negotiate down. They know you pay on time and haven't missed payments so will want to keep you and they can afford 1/12 of a months rent less and only be down what that one void will do to them.

he only thing i can think of is if the LL is trying to sell the place, and having me on a Periodic means i can be kicked out in 2 months, at any time they find a buyer, but with a 6 or 12 month contract they cant kick me out until my contract ends

A tenant recently vacated an apartment he was renting through me. On advertising the apartment we had 17 enquiries in the first three days. It was let to the first viewer on day 4. The rent we achieved was 10% higher than the outgoing tenant was paying.

The rental market seems very buoyant at the moment. Having said that I would be happier to retain an existing tenant who had proved to be reliable. I wouldn't accept a reduction in the rent though.

Another small point, I'm normally happy for a tenancy to continue as a statutory periodic tenancy when the AST expires. If the tenant wants to enter into a new AST then if the deposit is held with mydeposits it is regarded as a new tenancy and I have to pay for the deposit to be protected again. It hasn't happened to me yet but if it did I would be inclined to ask the tenant to pay an additional fee to cover my costs.

If I were you I would do nothing until you are on a periodic tenancy, then ring up asking for a decrease - say 5-10% - because you don't have security of a fixed contract. The only reason the landlord wants a periodic is because they want the option to sell.

Also, if they want you to leave they need to give 2 months notice, and it must end on your rental date. If you leave it's one months notice, and must end on your rental date.

Disagree. Landlord asking for a periodic tenancy is most likely a landlord who just very sensibly doesn't want the hassle and the agent's fees of a new agreement.

Disagree. Landlord asking for a periodic tenancy is most likely a landlord who just very sensibly doesn't want the hassle and the agent's fees of a new agreement.

Agree with this, when our 6 month AST expired the landlord preferred to go periodic and also to cut the EA out because (and i quote) "They cost me a fortune and from what i can see, they do bugger all to earn it from me!" :P

Agree with this, when our 6 month AST expired the landlord preferred to go periodic and also to cut the EA out because (and i quote) "They cost me a fortune and from what i can see, they do bugger all to earn it from me!" :P

How ironic