House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Uk: Food Inflation Slows Further

Food inflation slows to 5%.

That is when supermarets are cross subsidizing deals across their brands/other items.

Nice spinning. Only 5%.

http://www.kamcity.com/namnews/asp/newsarticle.asp?newsid=61465

UK: Food Inflation Slows Further

Shop price inflation eased slightly in August to its lowest since May, helped by a fall in food inflation and discounting, but price rises in non-food items picked up, according to latest figures from the British Retail Consortium. The BRC-Nielsen Shop Price Index showed that overall shop price inflation was 2.7% in August, down from 2.8% in July.

Food price inflation slowed to 5% from 5.2%, reflecting a weakening in global commodity prices. But the BRC warned that retailers were shielding consumers from the full extent of high commodity prices by offering hefty discounts. “Competition between retailers continues to protect consumers from the full impact of food inflation,” said Stephen Robertson, Director General of the BRC. “Nearly 40% of all groceries going through the tills are on some sort of promotion or special offer, meaning shoppers can reduce the impact of price rises on their own budgets by picking the deals that work best for them.”

That is when supermarets are cross subsidizing deals across their brands/other items.

Nice spinning. Only 5%.

http://www.kamcity.c...sp?newsid=61465

Be interesting to see what food price inflation is next spring when this years domestic harvest is used up (we are harvesting many crops over the summer autumn so prices are soft) and we have to import more food to feed our burgeoning population. Still, building housing estates on some fields will increase economic activity to pay for the imports, eh.

Nice spinning. Only 5%.

http://www.kamcity.c...sp?newsid=61465

Shop price inflation eased slightly in August to its lowest since May, helped by a fall in food inflation and discounting, but price rises in non-food items picked up, according to latest figures from the British Retail Consortium. The BRC-Nielsen Shop Price Index showed that overall shop price inflation was 2.7% in August, down from 2.8% in July.

Food price inflation slowed to 5% from 5.2%, reflecting a weakening in global commodity prices. But the BRC warned that retailers were shielding consumers from the full extent of high commodity prices by offering hefty discounts. "Competition between retailers continues to protect consumers from the full impact of food inflation," said Stephen Robertson, Director General of the BRC. "Nearly 40% of all groceries going through the tills are on some sort of promotion or special offer, meaning shoppers can reduce the impact of price rises on their own budgets by picking the deals that work best for them."

This is true.

It's not just the brand discounts either it's the cash giveaways of 15-20% on top which the supermarkets are presumably using to bring forward demand. I was suprised to learn that you can also use multiple cash discounts in one transaction (it says you can't on the vouchers, but they put them through as non-specific cash vouchers at the till if you ask them).

The main problem is storage and freezer space. Though I've become somewhat of an 'expert' in freezing heavily discounted fruit and meat.

I guess many of the brands must be suffering though.

This is true.

It's not just the brand discounts either it's the cash giveaways of 15-20% on top which the supermarkets are presumably using to bring forward demand. I was suprised to learn that you can also use multiple cash discounts in one transaction (it says you can't on the vouchers, but they put them through as non-specific cash vouchers at the till if you ask them).

The main problem is storage and freezer space. Though I've become somewhat of an 'expert' in freezing heavily discounted fruit and meat.

I guess many of the brands must be suffering though.

That reminds me, we have a 5 pounds off a 50 pound grocery spend that runs out today.

Although I am not sure I will be able to get up to Knightsbridge in time.

So food is 'only' getting five percent a year more expensive at the moment - fantastic news!

I don't see why they aren't shouting about this great news a bit louder :lol:

Actually, since a typical instant access savings account will pay 3% (which is then going to be taxed if you are earning an income) then maybe it's time for canny savers to move any cash savings into tins of baked beans and tuna?

So food is 'only' getting five percent a year more expensive at the moment - fantastic news!

Actually, since a typical instant access savings account will pay 3% (which is then going to be taxed if you are earning an income) then maybe it's time for canny savers to move any cash savings into tins of baked beans and tuna?

Well it is good news when you consider how rampant food inflation has been. If its slowing down thats good news.

Last year I was buying 3 tins of tuna for £1, when they were on offer.

I have about 60 tins stashed away.

4 tins for £3 now?

maybe it's time for canny savers to move any cash savings into tins of baked beans and tuna?

nice

Edited by Dorkins

4 tins for £3 now?

Congratulations - your £20 investment has now turned into savings of £45 equivalent.

Edited by Lepista

Nice spinning. Only 5%.

http://www.kamcity.com/namnews/asp/newsarticle.asp?newsid=61465

Food price inflation slowed to 5% from 5.2%, reflecting a weakening in global commodity prices. But the BRC warned that retailers were shielding consumers from the full extent of high commodity prices by offering hefty discounts. “Competition between retailers continues to protect consumers from the full impact of food inflation,” said Stephen Robertson, Director General of the BRC. “Nearly 40% of all groceries going through the tills are on some sort of promotion or special offer, meaning shoppers can reduce the impact of price rises on their own budgets by picking the deals that work best for them.”

Shielding consumers my ****.

They didn't charge more because sales would have fallen too far. If they had been better off charging more, they most certainly would have charged more.

Wetherspoons prices up again today.

I knew when they switched from glossy plastic menus to card ones it was for a reason.

Yes - I noticed that too and came to the same conclusion. We stopped eating there around the same time...

Depends what is in the basket

Much of the price reductions in fruit, veg and meat simply reflect seasonal changes in supply or local production coming on stream as opposed to imported. especially this time of year.

Are the food inflation figures seasonally adjusted ?

Yes - I noticed that too and came to the same conclusion. We stopped eating there around the same time...

they were the menus?

To be fair, compared to lots of other places it's still better value.

You cannot blame them for increases in food, energy costs , etc.

Large sack of onions 3 kg £1.60 in the market, good quality (have not been previously frozen, kept in cold storage) so not soft or watery.

..Today three large onions Lidl 69p...tesco three large onions two packets for £2.....they make it out that you are getting a good deal... :wacko:

Large sack of onions 3 kg £1.60 in the market, good quality (have not been previously frozen, kept in cold storage) so not soft or watery.

..Today three large onions Lidl 69p...tesco three large onions two packets for £2.....they make it out that you are getting a good deal... :wacko:

Yeah, hilarious isn't it? The mark up on stuff in the big retailers is ridiculous. People have pleeeenty of scope to shop around, and I reckon the more they look the more settled they will become in their demand for value. Long term, it looks bad for the supermarkets.

4 tins for £3 now?

Great minds think alike evidently!

Yeah, hilarious isn't it? The mark up on stuff in the big retailers is ridiculous. People have pleeeenty of scope to shop around, and I reckon the more they look the more settled they will become in their demand for value. Long term, it looks bad for the supermarkets.

fck me , you should try the supermarkets in Switzerland if you think the UK is bad, near 50% currency appreciation and Migros and Coop dont touch their prices and they are still sh!t compared to the worst places in the UK, Uk supermarkets are bastions of virtue compared to the 2 over here, you learn to appreciate the variety offered in them in hindsight, and no bombay bad boys anywhere...

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

4 tins for £3 now?

There is tuna and there is tuna...is it tuna steak or mush mixed with brine.....there is a big difference...shame you can't see through the tin. ;)

There is tuna and there is tuna...is it tuna steak or mush mixed with brine.....there is a big difference...shame you can't see through the tin. ;)

Anything has got to be better than sh*t legumes in sugar sauce. tongue.gif

fck me , you should try the supermarkets in Switzerland if you think the UK is bad, near 50% currency appreciation and Migros and Coop dont touch their prices and they are still sh!t compared to the worst places in the UK, Uk supermarkets are bastions of virtue compared to the 2 over here, you learn to appreciate the variety offered in them in hindsight, and no bombay bad boys anywhere...

Supermarkets charge the max price they can get away with.......never buy your spices, herbs, and authentic foreign foods in the big stores, shop in the Asian stores or small ethnic/European stores for the best buys and best quality. ;)