House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Figures Predictions

Lepista

HOLA441

Forex is predicting a rise of 0.5% this month. What on earth do they do to analyse and suggest such numbers? they can't be any more educated than our guesses.

...On that note, what are your guesses for tomorrows announcement?

I'm going for 0.0% (thought I'd get in there first!)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It's impossible for us to have any idea what the Halifax figures will be.

As I understand it, the Forex figure is just the average of what others, who exactly the same information as us (i.e. none), have guessed the Halifax figures to be. The Forex figure isn't the 'market' expectation, as it isn't based on what participants in the actual market (i.e. those actually buying houses rather than betting on price moves) are doing.

As such, it's pretty meaningless.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Down Down Down....in case no one has noticed, (asking) prices are going down fast at the moment.

The area I look at they are stagnant (the optimists) and slightly down (the optimists with a tinge of enthusiasm to sell). So far I've only seen a couple of big falls (the realists).

The trouble with the housing figures is they are about as believable as the inflation numbers.

That said, I'll guess -0.8%.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The area I look at they are stagnant (the optimists) and slightly down (the optimists with a tinge of enthusiasm to sell). So far I've only seen a couple of big falls (the realists).

The trouble with the housing figures is they are about as believable as the inflation numbers.

That said, I'll guess -0.8%.

The market always falls off a cliff during the August holiday. On my barometer walk (counting signs) sales had fallen to a low for this year of 13/100 by the end of the month. (20% sold is about normal and about 25% for the Spring bounce, well normal for the present desperate market).

I don't think the seasoning is sufficient to take into account this perennial lull and it will be probably down about 0.3%. The fact that we are now in a perennial spring bounce and autumn collapse highlights the poor quality of seasoning. The YOY figures would suggest we are flat -lining nominally, and better seasoning would have shown no movement for the last twelve monthly figures.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The market always falls off a cliff during the August holiday. On my barometer walk (counting signs) sales had fallen to a low for this year of 13/100 by the end of the month. (20% sold is about normal and about 25% for the Spring bounce, well normal for the present desperate market).

I don't think the seasoning is sufficient to take into account this perennial lull and it will be probably down about 0.3%. The fact that we are now in a perennial spring bounce and autumn collapse highlights the poor quality of seasoning. The YOY figures would suggest we are flat -lining nominally, and better seasoning would have shown no movement for the last twelve monthly figures.

In fact the poor quality of seasoning has been manna from heaven for the Express who have extracted figures from a perennial spring bounce to manipulate headlines and suggest house prices are booming against the reality of a market which on an annual basis was slightly down.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Anecdotally I'm going for positive, so +0.5 ish. Lots of young folk I know are throwing granny's money at houses "cos they're cheaper now", and offering the asking price because "thats how much it costs" ... like buying a tin of coke.

A flurry of sold boards around here.Of course I don't know what the figures are but it looks like the busiest yet in 2011.