House Price Crash Forum

Shares Isa

rw42

HOLA441

Slowly deciding to stop contributing anything towards my company pension, as i don't think it'll be worth anything by the time i retire. Want to start up a shares ISA instead, and pretty clueless about it.

Suggestions? From what i've read so far i'd want to be investing in defensive companies with a good chance of a decent dividend, but have no idea how to find these sort of companies. Basic beginner websites to try? Looked at motley fool, absolutely hate their forums.

ISA provider - want online access, low/no annual fees, and ideally reasonably low per trade fees. Think now is probably a bad time to start investing as the stock market is going down, but want to get some money in there and start selecting a few shares that i like, then top up to the ISA limit further towards the end of the year, or even just roll it over in the ISA as cash to build up the limit.

Any ideas welcome!

HOLA442

a shares ISA will likely be invested in the same funds as your company pension, so if you think you will end up with nothing in your pension, then a shares ISA will be no better

let's start off by asking - what does your company pension consist of, who is it administered by, and what are the charges and investment options?

HOLA443

a shares ISA will likely be invested in the same funds as your company pension, so if you think you will end up with nothing in your pension, then a shares ISA will be no better

let's start off by asking - what does your company pension consist of, who is it administered by, and what are the charges and investment options?

Company pension could be good or bad. If it's pooled with others who get priority (c.f. Inequitable) then you'd want to stay clear.

Not going to try and help with stock picking: offering suggestions to a stranger is far too much of a minefield. As for where to open an ISA, just trawl this board for a few suggestions (I use Hargreaves Lansdown, which is one of a number of decent choices).

HOLA444

I had in mind a shares ISA because i'd be able to choose specific stocks myself (self-select ISA?) - my pension seems to be limited to following a 'strategy' from a set of options they offer, and i'm not sure the fees are exactly worthwhile. Need to dig out more information on what i've got really - will post more when i get it.

Wasn't exactly asking for advice about specific shares to buy, and probably would take any outright recommendations with a strong pinch of salt! Was more looking to understand how you pick what you do pick - examples would be welcome, or suggestions on websites where i could do a bit more self-education..

HOLA445

I use iii. No annual fee for ISAs and £10 dealing charge. They also do a £1.50 dealing charge if you're happy to buy on a set date for whatever the price is at the time. Good for dripping in small amounts.