House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ringledman_*

£1M To Invest In One Place For 10 Years

Hypothetical question.

£1Million given to you or you have earned.

You have to put this away for 10 years. Redemption in 2021.

The sum cannot be touched for a decade.

The UK property choice cannot be used to live in (in the interest of fairness - i.e. this question is purely about investment not utility of the cash).

Only one choice allowed. No diversification.

Choice and reasons please?

Edited by ringledman

Choose a Internet retail/supplier sector that's a little weaker than the others (there are plenty) and start that business. It's a few methodical steps to be successful in this area.

Ultimately a business is the place to put it.

Hypothetical question.

The UK property choice cannot be used to live in (in the interest of fairness - i.e. this question is purely about investment not utility of the cash).

none of the above, i would invest in good agricultural land in a nice area.

Agriculture - not on the list. That's one reason.

World bringing on population of UK every year but no more land for agri. You can eat food, I believe. Currencies toast.

none of the above, i would invest in good agricultural land in a nice area.

Apologies. Added. Yes agri a good choice I think. It was around £3k an acre in the mid 90s and now close to £5-6k. Still a lot cheaper than most of Western Europe.

I would probably choose global equities but preferably high yield defensives.

My thoughts -

Cash- near certainty to lose significant capital.

Bonds - Near certainty bubble will have popped within a decade.

Gold - The bull market will have lead to bubble. Hard to say if it will have popped in a decade. I think most likely.

Edited by ringledman

Global Equities, especially those in eastern markets, large cap stocks, with strong dividend yields.

I *have* invested in line with this in recent weeks, albeit with substantially less than £1m!

Given the bubble territory gold is in, only land and property seem to have any fighting chance of retaining their value in real terms over 10 years.

As i know nothing of how or where to invest in land, i'd buy property.

Hypothetical question.

My choice is global equities, however Corporate Bonds, Global Equities, UK Equities, and UK Property are to me, all good choices. The key to investing in any of these is to invest directly in the asset class, not in an index which tracks that asset class, and to do your homework to find undervalued assets within that asset class.

The distinction between UK and Global equities is hazy. I'm in stocks listed in the UK but with a global bias. Think mining stocks, pharma, insurance, oil, and some consumer products with strong emerging market reach.

Global Equities, especially those in eastern markets, large cap stocks, with strong dividend yields.

I *have* invested in line with this in recent weeks, albeit with substantially less than £1m!

+1

Gold is still cheap. Far to cheap. Its just it was dirt cheap for a few years. But for most of history a fewcounces would buy you a house, most of the world could only dream of having a gold sovereign, now the average weekly wage can buy 2 of these.

However 10 years is a long time and though i believe gold will be higher in 10 years it could be choppy along the way. So i opted for global equities, more specifically asian retailers. As seen in uk and elsewhere in the end the retailer ie the manufacturers customer holds the upper hand and like tesco will squeeze them till they squeak. So i would invest in medium sized asian supermarket chains hoping one of them would become the new tesco or wallmart