House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Dashing Out To Buy This Month?

What's your status? :)

Lowest of the low and bottom of the pile. No disabilities, medical reasons, kids. etc A lot of the properties I bid on, only allow 45+

I'd rather go out mountain biking at weekends I think. Not seen anything I want to buy yet.

Edited by John Steed

Well September is here, the holidays are over and the kids are back to school (thank god!)

Estate Agents are expecting a bumper month of sales, and the Express has tried to boost consumer confidence by assuring house prices will rise by 14% or whatever they made up.

So is anyone planning on dashing out to buy this month?

Delighted to say I have convinced the other half that we should wait another year before moving out of town.

Also convinced her that we should take a BTL mortgage on our flat when we do move, should provide a reasonable income for our retirement.

It definitely pays to live well within your means.

BTW, I (just) make the cut off point that defines the boomer generation. Just a little extra ammo if anyone wants to take a potshot :D

You're not the only one.

Many on here will no doubt say buying now is a mistake, but one can't say that objectively without knowing

- the price you have agreed to pay

- the mortgage deal you have obtained

- other personal circumstances (kids school catchment area etc)

- the future

DIfficult. I held off for a long time. Last few years I've moved a lot for work, and prices were mad! :o

Yeah, had offer accepted should move in November, Nice 3 Bed, garage, garden. Cant complain about the price or location etc needs a lot of work,but that's how I have always bought. Its a home for 10 years plus as far as I can see and prices are 30% down from peak here. Borrowing 4 times my income so sensible level as far as I am concerned. Always rent a room out for beer tokens if I have too... House prices are only a problem when you buy or sell them, apart from that they are irrelevant. We can afford the place comfortably so why not take advantage whilst vendors are having to lower prices?

Yeah, had offer accepted should move in November, Nice 3 Bed, garage, garden. Cant complain about the price or location etc needs a lot of work,but that's how I have always bought. Its a home for 10 years plus as far as I can see and prices are 30% down from peak here. Borrowing 4 times my income so sensible level as far as I am concerned. Always rent a room out for beer tokens if I have too... House prices are only a problem when you buy or sell them, apart from that they are irrelevant. We can afford the place comfortably so why not take advantage whilst vendors are having to lower prices?

What region have you bought in?

What region have you bought in?

[/quote

South west, Plymouth. Houses on road were going for 250K in 2005 the last time one was sold because the particular style are quite rare on market offered 175K accepted had 25% deposit so mortgage reasonable. Seems sensible move, If market goes down another 10-20% wont matter really as I wont be looking to sell any time soon.

Pregnancy is making my wife go (even more) bat-shit crazy. She asked me if I thought we could get a 4x my income mortgage, to which I suggested she go out and get a proper job. She still thinks we'll be in a position to buy in a years time, I said make it 3, which didn't go down well.

So, not this month...

(quote/)

South west, Plymouth. Houses on road were going for 250K in 2005 the last time one was sold because the particular style are quite rare on market offered 175K accepted had 25% deposit so mortgage reasonable. Seems sensible move, If market goes down another 10-20% wont matter really as I wont be looking to sell any time soon.

Fair enough, that sounds quite reasonable. The problem I have where I live is that houses being sold for £250k in 2005 are now being put up for sale for £300K plus and blatantly unaffordable still.

The wife and I were discussing it over the weekend again, we'd like to buy to help us feel more settled, we've got two children who will start school next year and would like some security. So we jumped on rightmove, had a look at properties in our area and confirmed that prices are still in la-la land and have parked the idea of buying again for another year.

+1

Have 3 kids and wife is desperate....after 3 years I capitulated and now in southern norwich the prices have jumped 20% since December 2010 so that is that.

not going to pay 300k for a house that sold for 250,000 in 2009.

Screw that talk about return to normal phase!

Joined it yes but been reading it for years. Just it gets a bit depressing all the time on here. Its not all bad news you know....

I agree, it was only an observation, have been out and looking myself, looked at 6 on Saturday, 4 of them were repo's, bottom end of the market, so i'll be hanging onto my cash for a while longer as everytime my target houses drop 5k i've saved another 5k of my own income to match it. ;)

(quote/)

Fair enough, that sounds quite reasonable. The problem I have where I live is that houses being sold for £250k in 2005 are now being put up for sale for £300K plus and blatantly unaffordable still.

I think people need a reality check with house prices. If they are in negative equity I can understand them asking top dollar, everyone else really needs to see that the chain will work again when all seller's lower the value so they can move up to a now cheaper house and people can move into there now cheaper house.

Its all Bat Sh%t crazy till that happens again....

Ive just moved the family into a giant pumpkin. We're in a nice area, although It's a bit of a squash……

:D

Bet it looked like a giant pumpkin on the Estate Agent's web site!

Well September is here, the holidays are over and the kids are back to school (thank god!)

Estate Agents are expecting a bumper month of sales, and the Express has tried to boost consumer confidence by assuring house prices will rise by 14% or whatever they made up.

So is anyone planning on dashing out to buy this month?

NO. Buying now is pure foolishness.

....and mine too I guess. I've just been offered a council property, and accepted. £57pw! outrageous!! laugh.gif

Less than half my current rent, which means lower costs, more saving, money not paying someone's pension/mortgage, oh and I get to choose what colour to paint the walls. Fancy that in 2011 Britain.

Welcome to the club.

Be warned though, your rent will double over the next 10 years!

Sounds like a flat to me?

....and mine too I guess. I've just been offered a council property, and accepted. £57pw! outrageous!! laugh.gif

Less than half my current rent, which means lower costs, more saving, money not paying someone's pension/mortgage, oh and I get to choose what colour to paint the walls. Fancy that in 2011 Britain.

About the same price as mine a year ago, now mine is £62! UP well above inflation. And they came round asking what they wanted us to spend the surplus monies on, I suggested a rent reduction, they suggested a burglar alarm, I said I'd got nowt worth nicking!

I think it's expensive. I noticed there is an opt out for the employer-employee accommodation costs with regards to social landlords and housing associations! Rent should be no more than £32.27. ph34r.gif

If your employed by your buy to let landlord you can have you rent capped at £32.27!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_175108