House Price Crash Forum
rocker

Price Of Land

This made me laugh - Council leader Tony Ball said the sum was "hugely above" the market value.

A representative of families living on an illegal traveller site in Essex said they would leave if they were paid £6m for their land, a council has said.

Richard Sheridan, Gypsy Council president, is leading the fight against evictions from Dale Farm, Basildon.

Basildon Council said he offered to move the families to Birmingham or Scotland. Mr Sheridan was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Council leader Tony Ball said the sum was "hugely above" the market value.

Last week the travellers lost their 10-year battle to remain at the site and were told they would be evicted on 19 September.

Half the dwellings on the site are legal but more than 80 have no planning permission and must be demolished.

About 400 people are said to be living illegally at Dale Farm.

Legal solution sought

The £6m offer was turned down because it would mean travellers profiting from breaking the law, Basildon Council said.

"The council has consistently sought a peaceful resolution to the Dale Farm situation and done all it can to avoid a forced clearance of the site," Mr Ball said.

"I have always said that I would listen to any offers made by the travellers that would help to avoid the forced clearance.

"Traveller representatives offered to sell their land to the council hugely above market value in return for clearing the site.

"I felt I should consider any legal solutions to avoid a forced clearance.

"However, clearly it would have been unacceptable to enter any agreement where the travellers effectively profited from breaking the law and this was a step too far."

Four meetings were held over six months between council chiefs, Mr Sheridan and other travellers.

Joseph Jones, a colleague of Mr Sheridan's at the Gypsy Council, said he did not know whether £6m was asked for.

He said: "The climate of those meetings has to be seen in the backdrop of a community that is desperate to find any solution whatsoever."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14804705

This made me laugh - Council leader Tony Ball said the sum was "hugely above" the market value.

A representative of families living on an illegal traveller site in Essex said they would leave if they were paid £6m for their land, a council has said.

Richard Sheridan, Gypsy Council president, is leading the fight against evictions from Dale Farm, Basildon.

Basildon Council said he offered to move the families to Birmingham or Scotland. Mr Sheridan was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Last week the travellers lost their 10-year battle to remain at the site and were told they would be evicted on 19 September.

Half the dwellings on the site are legal but more than 80 have no planning permission and must be demolished.

About 400 people are said to be living illegally at Dale Farm.

Legal solution sought

The £6m offer was turned down because it would mean travellers profiting from breaking the law, Basildon Council said.

"The council has consistently sought a peaceful resolution to the Dale Farm situation and done all it can to avoid a forced clearance of the site," Mr Ball said.

"I have always said that I would listen to any offers made by the travellers that would help to avoid the forced clearance.

"Traveller representatives offered to sell their land to the council hugely above market value in return for clearing the site.

"I felt I should consider any legal solutions to avoid a forced clearance.

"However, clearly it would have been unacceptable to enter any agreement where the travellers effectively profited from breaking the law and this was a step too far."

Four meetings were held over six months between council chiefs, Mr Sheridan and other travellers.

Joseph Jones, a colleague of Mr Sheridan's at the Gypsy Council, said he did not know whether £6m was asked for.

He said: "The climate of those meetings has to be seen in the backdrop of a community that is desperate to find any solution whatsoever."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14804705

They are NOT travellers though.

They are just people who want to a place to live and aren't prepared to pay the (rigged) market price for it.

Can't blame them really ........ apart from their very flawed 'racial argument'.

The Gypsys have got to live somewhere, where are they going to go? It's costing the tax payer a fortune and it will only move the problem onto the next site, so what's the point?

I quite envy their lifestyle of basic living, doesnt cost a lot and they're happy with it.

Isn't the eviction costing £8million+

Would have been cheaper to buy them out, and they could then buy properties for cash and stimulate the housing market biggrin.gif

Oh you mean like all those subsidies to buy a council houses that were paid for by other tax payers who could not benefit themselves, landing us with a shortage of...er council homes and articificially pumping up prices aswell!

Sounds like he's negotiating a price.

Everybody concerned seems to be making a lot of money out of that situation apart from the taxpayer who is having to pay through the nose without any say in the matter - again.

Edited by billybong

I would synpathise with these "travelers", However, I know their ilk and speaking as a long time "illegal dweller", I would not want them in the field next to me. I say call their bluff and offer them an island off the Scottish coast where there are no folk to rob from.

I would synpathise with these "travelers", However, I know their ilk and speaking as a long time "illegal dweller", I would not want them in the field next to me. I say call their bluff and offer them an island off the Scottish coast where there are no folk to rob from.

How about Ireland?

It's inevitable that these sites are going to spring up more and more. I'm surprised more people aren't declaring themselves "gypsies" and getting out of the system. The planning laws, designed to protect only those who can bid the highest for a home already existing, have very little to do with protecting the countryside. They are there in order to hurd people into areas designated as cheaper for local authorities to offer services.

What we need are more people willing to challenge planning regulations, and more people making a stand. That doesn't mean everyone should not pay their way, or create rubbish or eyesores for everyone else. There are huge areas of woodland and open areas which are not national treasures or even particularly wonderful green belt land which could be built on - lodges, timber frame, other materials, all perfectly sound and liveable but your local council doesn't want you to live anywhere other than where they tell you. They exceed their powers and dictate, all under the bogus reason of "sustainability".

They are not protecting rural beauty. They are using that as an excuse to excercise social engineering and manipulation. Stand up to your local planning office. If enough people do it, they'll have to change.

Isn't the eviction costing £8million+

Would have been cheaper to buy them out, and they could then buy properties for cash and stimulate the housing market biggrin.gif

Yes, but then the pikeys will have found their new racket.

They could call it banksterism. Or landbanksterism.

It's inevitable that these sites are going to spring up more and more. I'm surprised more people aren't declaring themselves "gypsies" and getting out of the system. The planning laws, designed to protect only those who can bid the highest for a home already existing, have very little to do with protecting the countryside. They are there in order to hurd people into areas designated as cheaper for local authorities to offer services.

What we need are more people willing to challenge planning regulations, and more people making a stand. That doesn't mean everyone should not pay their way, or create rubbish or eyesores for everyone else. There are huge areas of woodland and open areas which are not national treasures or even particularly wonderful green belt land which could be built on - lodges, timber frame, other materials, all perfectly sound and liveable but your local council doesn't want you to live anywhere other than where they tell you. They exceed their powers and dictate, all under the bogus reason of "sustainability".

They are not protecting rural beauty. They are using that as an excuse to excercise social engineering and manipulation. Stand up to your local planning office. If enough people do it, they'll have to change.

Theres a lot of 'water gypsies' ie normal people living on boats.

Too much stigma attached to living in a caravan though, cant see it catching on with the masses.

How about Ireland?

I've always found this odd too - why don't they go back to Ireland ( the ones i have seen interviewed have been Irish travellers) . What has Basildon got that places around Dublin doesn't have? Certainly doesnt have the Wicklow Mountains and a great coast line :rolleyes:

From what i have seen the benefits (social security/education etc) in Eire are far better than the UK, even after recent cuts due to the financial crisis and there is more than enough land there to do what you like or they could all be moved into one of the many ghost estates over there.

Perhaps the Irish establishment and people are more clued up and less of a soft touch and encourage their fellow countrymen to seek "opportunities" in the UK ?

Why stop there?

You could get together with a few others (preferably with useful skills), buy a pile of grazing land and then declare independence. In short, you can secede from the UK.

You could trade with other countries, including the one surrounding your new nation. I would also suggest asking for various political agreements to ensure that you're doing your best to get along with your neighbour. You would also pledge to no longer use public services, without paying for the privilege to do so, where required. Ofc, you would also pay no taxes to the UK government.

You could also remove decline all legislative laws and return to natural law, shunning anyone who breaks the said law.

I would also suggest writing to the UN, the press and anywhere else that will listen, explaining that you want to do it peacefully. If they then send in the police and/or the army (or any other trained thugs), you could then plead that they are abusing your human rights. If they attack still, their grisly, violent nature will be exposed to all. We would soon see how opposed to 'empire' the British government is then.

Edited by Traktion

there shoudl be an easier way of clearing them out without it costing so much.

It's all a big setup and fraud on the population - cos the main guy complaining about their behaviour next to his castle and land is a 'settled' ex-gyppo himself.

Send them all back to their home country Ireland for peats sake

(PS - Wicklow Mts are where the Dublin 'mafia' bury their bodies!)

Edited by erranta