House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
analysisparalysis

Examples Of Ridiculous London Properties

Hi everyone,

I've been looking in central London for a while and am just about to give up. Have been keeping an eye on things more than anything else, and have come across three highly amusing properties in that time which - surprisingly - still seem to be on the market.

Number 1. Only has one window. This 'stunning' property is in EC1 is also billed as being 'quiet'. Hmmm... must be something to do with the fact that it's almost entirely underground - that would give good soundproofing! It has one external facing window on the ground floor, and then the rest of the accommodation is lower ground, with only internal windows facing out onto some kind of strange underground corridor (which I saw billed by one agent as a 17ft courtyard).

The worst thing is that I'm pretty sure it was originally listed at £395K - now £350K.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/SS/chpk0161013

Number 2. 1 bedroom, max 8ft 6in wide. This freehold property is more like a series of stair landings. It's actually shaped like a wedge so 8ft 6in is the widest part at the front, it then narrows to more like 1ft at the back. £365K.

http://www.propertybroker.com/property.cfm?PropertyID=5822

Number 3. 2-bed, £345K. By comparison this one provides better value. I got the details and it looked very nice, until you actually walk past it. Located in 'fast-changing' Kings Cross, the street has a tangible 'crack den' vibe, and the entrance doors to every other flat in the terrace have big handwritten CCTV warning signs (a la don't kick my door in cause I'll catch you on my home-installed CCTV). It also has a pub about 20m away. Needless to say we haven't arranged a viewing, but I have noticed it's now been multilisted, but no price drop.

http://www.winkworth.co.uk/propsearch/furt...pref=WNKCLR1545

I find it very amusing looking at the cr*ppy properties other people post so thought I would return the favour. Enjoy!

AP

I think they just all use really really wide angled lenses - for example from the pic this one doesn't look too bad but the entire flat including the bedroom is only 300 square ft.

http://www.banburyball.co.uk/details.jsp?property=12

(or maybe it's just the incredibly tiny telly in the corner lending a 'deceptively spacious' feel) :P

At the risk of having a conversation with myself, I couldn't resist posting this latest 'find'.

Ok, so it's in very central London, but £410K for a 1-bed flat that's around 400 square feet? And who can be the 'extremely well known interior designer' who has spent a six-figure sum creating a 'showcase for his work'? And if he has, why now sell it?!

http://www.sequencehome.co.uk/detail.asp?t...=3&id=KWY100447

I think they just all use really really wide angled lenses - for example from the pic this one doesn't look too bad but the entire flat including the bedroom is only 300 square ft.

http://www.banburyball.co.uk/details.jsp?property=12

(or maybe it's just the incredibly tiny telly in the corner lending a 'deceptively spacious' feel) :P

I visited a new home site in Bidford (WARKS) the other week and viewed one of the many unsold 3 story "townhouses". Two of the "double" bedrooms contained funny sized beds. About 5 feet long and just under 4 feet accross. A compact double?

Seems that the art of deception is being implemented to try to move new homes with rooms so small that you could not swing a dead cat (the one the Eas are going to try to bounce again this Spring). :lol:

Never in my life have I seen a property advertised with almost half the marketing dedicated to the best routes to leave the area! (From the very first link)

"Angel Underground Station (Northern Line) and King's Cross St Pancras Station (Victoria, Piccadilly, Northern, Hammersmith and City, Circle and Metropolitan lines and British Rail) are easily accessible. The A1 (M) provides motorists with rapid access out of London."

=

"You'll hate it, but there's plenty of escape routes when it all gets too much."

:lol::lol::lol:

I visited a new home site in Bidford (WARKS) the other week and viewed one of the many unsold 3 story "townhouses". Two of the "double" bedrooms contained funny sized beds. About 5 feet long and just under 4 feet accross. A compact double?

Seems that the art of deception is being implemented to try to move new homes with rooms so small that you could not swing a dead cat (the one the Eas are going to try to bounce again this Spring). :lol:

I saw on Watchdog (I think) a couple of years ago a story about a townhouse with such a tight stairwell that the only way to get a sofa to the first floor lounge was though an upstairs window...