House Price Crash Forum

Ex Lab Mp Margaret Moran To Go In The Dock

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/press_releases/125_11/

Ex-Labour MP Margaret Moran to face 21 charges in court.

Expenses scandal claims another scalp.

Little and late, but welcome nonetheless.

Vile, self-serving, greedy sh1t. I can't bear the way they all bleat on about 'confusing rules and advice' - how confusing is it to work out that flipping houses and over-claiming on various expenses is probably not the sort of behaviour people want from their politicians?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.cps.gov.u...eleases/125_11/

Ex-Labour MP Margaret Moran to face 21 charges in court.

Expenses scandal claims another scalp.

She'll get 9 months, and be out in 6 weeks. And will keep all of the money she stole.

Nothing is going to change until these people are strung up from lampposts. Alas we don't *do* revolution.

HOLA447

How did a person like that ever get elected MP? :blink: Ah, silly me, I forgot that she was wearing a red rosette.

For the 1997 election, she was selected to stand for Labour in Luton South through an all-women shortlist.[7] While this method of selection was subsequently declared illegal in January 1996 as it breached sex discrimination laws,[8] candidates already selected remained in place. At the election she was elected, gaining the seat from the Conservatives.

Wiki entry.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Vile, self-serving, greedy sh1t. I can't bear the way they all bleat on about 'confusing rules and advice' - how confusing is it to work out that flipping houses and over-claiming on various expenses is probably not the sort of behaviour people want from their politicians?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Shadow Cabinet agreed to pay back more than £20,000 yesterday.

Five senior Tories were told to repay four-figure sums and others were facing claims believed to run into the thousands last night.

Business spokesman Ken Clarke was asked to hand back £4,733 of taxpayers' cash after overclaiming for gardening and cleaning.

But the former Chancellor was planning to contest the sum.

His colleagues Liam Fox, the defence spokesman, overseas aid supremo Andrew Mitchell and Scottish spokesman David Mundell are also questioning demands by the Legg Review.

Mr Cameron has told all his MPs to pay up or be barred from standing as a Tory MP but has also stressed that they have the right to make representations to Sir Thomas.

Chief Whip Patrick McLoughlin, who is responsible for making sure his colleagues follow Mr Cameron's edict, agreed to repay £4,058.24 that he had claimed for excessive cleaning and mortgage payments.

Mr Cameron and George Osborne led a list of 14 members of the Shadow Cabinet who were asked for more information, meaning further demands are possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worst of it is - the greedy b'stards have quietly demanded & got most of it back!

Let alone the hundreds of thousands-Millions? pounds they collectively scammed from house flipping for years/decades

Edited by erranta

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Will she be well enough to travel back from her villa in Spain to face the charges?

Yes no problem as long as she can travel for which she gets her expenses which unbelievably is entitled to, my friend works in Leeds courts and has to payout every day hundreds of pounds to defendants guilty or not for travel costs to and from the court from their home address, great this austerity thing eh!!!!

Edited by papag

HOLA4413

Top of list of things you WON'T see in the Guardian:

an article about a greedy, lying, self-serving female MP.

Greed and dishonesty being, as we all know in Guardian land, uniquely male traits, and it being taken as a given that if women were in charge dishonesty would be eradicated and the world would be a place of purity, impeccable integrity and unbounded peace and joy.

No - best overlooked. The 'exception that proves the rule'.

Let's print some more articles about DSK and how men can't multi-task.

That's better.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

She'll get 9 months, and be out in 6 weeks. And will keep all of the money she stole.

Nothing is going to change until these people are strung up from lampposts. Alas we don't *do* revolution.

These people are motivated by money and power, and denying them both would be the ideal punishment. In Moran's case there is bugger all point in jailing her - her offence is not violent, and she won't have the opportunity to re-offend, given that she's no loner an MP. Therefore, there is neither a public protection nor a behavioural correction argument in favour of shelling out the £40k a year (or whatever it costs) to put her behind bars. A big enough fine that would force her to sell her homes in Spain and Southampton and leave her in a one-bedroom flat in a grotty part of Luton, however (I'm thinking in terms of something in the region of half a million), would tick both the retribution and deterrent boxes.

HOLA4416

These people are motivated by money and power, and denying them both would be the ideal punishment. In Moran's case there is bugger all point in jailing her - her offence is not violent, and she won't have the opportunity to re-offend, given that she's no loner an MP. Therefore, there is neither a public protection nor a behavioural correction argument in favour of shelling out the £40k a year (or whatever it costs) to put her behind bars. A big enough fine that would force her to sell her homes in Spain and Southampton and leave her in a one-bedroom flat in a grotty part of Luton, however (I'm thinking in terms of something in the region of half a million), would tick both the retribution and deterrent boxes.

yes....who now would want to employ greedy self-centered people who steal from their employers in such an underhanded dishonest way. :ph34r:

Hit them where it hurts the most in the pocket......jail could give them a potential money making opportunity to write a book all about it later. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The cost to the taxpayer of the investigation etc is more than they all robbed.

Pay them a fixed amount, get rid of the expenses department all together.

If they can't run an office efficiently on a reasonable fixed salary then the constituents should boot 'em out due

to them being incompetent.

HOLA4419

The cost to the taxpayer of the investigation etc is more than they all robbed.

How do you know - we won't find out what they got away with, nor how much their "backhanders" have cost us.

Pay them a fixed amount, get rid of the expenses department all together.

Yes.

If they can't run an office efficiently on a reasonable fixed salary then the constituents should boot 'em out due

to them being incompetent.

As long as the "reasonable salary" is basic minimum wage, then I'd agree with you.

HOLA4420

Top of list of things you WON'T see in the Guardian:

an article about a greedy, lying, self-serving female MP.

Currently the 'Most Viewed' article on the Guardian site...

'MPs' expenses: Labour's Margaret Moran faces 21 charges':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/06/mps-expenses-margaret-moran-21-charges

Ex-Labour MP to appear before magistrates over charges including false accounting and forgery related to claims worth more than £60,000

HOLA4421

we will see.

how much balls have our judges got?

if they are willing to send down a couple of chav rioters for 4 years for nicking a couple of TV's,then surely,if found guilty she should face a proportionately severe sentence.

...that's just for fraud and embezzelment.(maximum here I believe would be 8-10 years)

...if there were also additional charges such as poitical sabotage etc(as a result of blairs doings),and espionage....(blair is high treason,but espionage is like manslaughter is to murder)...then I think if found guilty would be good to see sent down for a very,very long time..

frankly I don't think judges now have a lot of choice....it wll be a case of stamp down hard on these people,or the unwashed masses will be dishing out street justice before long.

I think it might do our representatives some good to see a couple of their colleagues wailing/glazed/shellshocked as they get sent down.

(still IMHO quite tame,my personal preference would be to invite all the MP's into the commons chamber,and have the speakers seat wired up to the mains...so they can smell the traitors cooking during the state opening ceremonies...that might sharpen the minds of those who like to take cash for votes/influence)

Edited by oracle

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Looks like the bitch has had a face transplant and tried her best to get a sympathy vote from the judge also never stopped crying throughout the day, maybe its the stark realisation her houses are dropping in value like a stone

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/8773850/MPs-expenses-Margaret-Moran-cries-throughout-hearing.html

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

She is crying because she was caught. She had a rapacious capacity for theiving. Prison not neccessary. Pay back money defrauded plus costs, if her house collection all has to be sold so be it. Let her then rent a squalid hovel from a BTL landlord the likes of which her morally bankrupt party nurtured.