House Price Crash Forum
Self Employed Youth

Housing Benefit - Only £1 Billion Every 16.4 Days

6 months ago using the figures available at the time, housing benefit was paying out £1billion every 17.25 days.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=160398

New statistics are out;

http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/index.php?page=hbctb

At May 2011:

• The total number of people receiving Housing Benefit was 4.88 million, with 5.85 million claiming Council Tax Benefit.
  • 3.60 million Housing Benefit recipients were aged under 65, representing almost three quarters of all Housing Benefit recipients.
  • 68 per cent of Housing Benefit recipients were tenants of Social Sector landlords.
  • Around two thirds of both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit recipients are in receipt of a Passported Benefit.
  • The overall average Housing Benefit award is £87.46 per week, and for Council Tax Benefit recipients, the overall average award was £15.81 per week.

4.88 million with an average £87.46 a week is £426 804 800 a week. Which = £1billion every 16.4 days.

I don't agree that council tax benefit is a benefit .

If you don't smoke you don't pay tax on fags, if you don't earn money from working or investments you don't pay income tax . If you are not working or earn so little that the state gives you money to pay a tax I don't see that as a benefit i see it as an exclusion.

Do they call it a benefit and then add it to these housing benefit figures to fall people that HB is out of control prior to bringing in measures to cut HB.

Also if 68% of it is going to pay rents in the social housing sector and not down the black hole of private landlords and that 68% is staying within the govenment wheather it be local or cental govenment it tells me that that money is just moving from one state balance sheet to another .

It's stil £32,000,000 going into the pockets of poverty farming private landlords every 16 days. How many houses could you build for that each year?

It's stil £32,000,000 going into the pockets of poverty farming private landlords every 16 days. How many houses could you build for that each year?

i genuninely dont understand why the government cannot grasp this.

housing benefits dont really go to people, it instead enriches landlords and goes into their pockets.

the government effectively has a monopoly on the rental market so offering less in housing benefit, will reduce rents.

Edited by mfp123

Agreed , but it is also not the £1 billion going down a big black hole every 16.4 days , that they want us to beleive.

A cost in one place is a profit in another . Or in the case of social housing money to buy , run or improve stock. Im not making any allowances for private landlords but even the money they rake in goes back into the economy , it is not lost for ever. Would be interesting to know the figures how much any rise in HB payments adds to the growth of the economy.

The figures are trotted out time and time again to get jo average to clap his hands when they kick those down the bottom of the heap again.

They should rename it 'The Landlords subsidy'

Maybe the lefties would realize what an obscene scam it is then.

15% is for council tax , can you name the landlords that goes to ?

Of the remaning 85% , 68% of that goes to social landlords i.e housing associations and councils. Which are not Landlords but state providers of housing .

Your idear for a new name does not make sense , and what has left or right got to do with it ?

They grasp it, but many of their MPs, donors and voters are landlords (or wannabe landlords).

Having said that, Labour didn't exactly cover themselves in glory on the social housing front during their 13 year tenure :lol:

Of the remaning 85% , 68% of that goes to social landlords i.e housing associations and councils. Which are not Landlords but state providers of housing .

Your idear for a new name does not make sense , and what has left or right got to do with it ?

The sum I calculated was for housing benefit only, the figures for council tax are there, so you can calculate the council tax benefit if you like.

Agreed , but it is also not the £1 billion going down a big black hole every 16.4 days , that they want us to beleive.

A cost in one place is a profit in another . Or in the case of social housing money to buy , run or improve stock. Im not making any allowances for private landlords but even the money they rake in goes back into the economy , it is not lost for ever. Would be interesting to know the figures how much any rise in HB payments adds to the growth of the economy.

The figures are trotted out time and time again to get jo average to clap his hands when they kick those down the bottom of the heap again.

Well if you believe that this sort of money, which gives those without work housing at the expense of those in work who have to pay for that housing, isnt going down a black hole, then our nation is truly broken beyond repair.

6 months ago using the figures available at the time, housing benefit was paying out £1billion every 17.25 days.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=160398

New statistics are out;

http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/index.php?page=hbctb

At May 2011:

• The total number of people receiving Housing Benefit was 4.88 million, with 5.85 million claiming Council Tax Benefit.
  • 3.60 million Housing Benefit recipients were aged under 65, representing almost three quarters of all Housing Benefit recipients.
  • 68 per cent of Housing Benefit recipients were tenants of Social Sector landlords.
  • Around two thirds of both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit recipients are in receipt of a Passported Benefit.
  • The overall average Housing Benefit award is £87.46 per week, and for Council Tax Benefit recipients, the overall average award was £15.81 per week.

4.88 million with an average £87.46 a week is £426 804 800 a week. Which = £1billion every 16.4 days.

FUY,

nice find mate. You always seem to produce great posts.

So it seems that despite Tory promises to reign this benefit in, the whole thing is still utterly out of control. Well that always happens if you fiddle around the edges. That Duncan Smith is a clever chap, but presumably he now has to face up to the fact that the only way to reform this out of control monster is to smash it to smithereens before it destroys us all.

We desperately need a citizens income, and a government disciplined enough to dispense with all other benefits, including social housing and other such subsidies. These subsidies take away the incentive to work from those without work, and those with work through higher taxation. Perhaps a debt crisis of our own is going to provide the opportunity for some real reform, and allow workers to once again labour and keep the majority of the fruits of their labour.

Well if you believe that this sort of money, which gives those without work housing at the expense of those in work who have to pay for that housing, isnt going down a black hole, then our nation is truly broken beyond repair.

But isn't the money going to those nice hard working BTL landlords- surely you don't begrudge them a crust? :D

Housing benefit and council tax are two different benefits. The vast majority still goes to landlords.

And i dont care whether they call themselves lovely fairy angelic landlords, they're still landlords getting paid for creating a sum total of nothing, other than pricing people out of housing.

So they get a six figure salary and another six figure bonus instead of a profit. How very social of them.

So your saying that the £1 billion goes down a black hole never to be seen again ? could you explain in more detail

So your saying that the £1 billion goes down a black hole never to be seen again ? could you explain in more detail

Its not going to build new housing, thus it does not increase capacity, thus its simply more money chasing the same supply, thus it causes price inflation.

When that £20 billion a year could be going towards building more homes, more factories, or anything other than subsidising excessive rents.

housing benefits dont really go to people, it instead enriches landlords and goes into their pockets.

the government effectively has a monopoly on the rental market so offering less in housing benefit, will reduce rents.

HB does not reduce rents, having the state issue more properties at lower rents will push it down.

Housing benefit and council tax are two different benefits. The vast majority still goes to landlords.

And i dont care whether they call themselves lovely fairy angelic landlords, they're still landlords getting paid for creating a sum total of nothing, other than pricing people out of housing.

So they get a six figure salary and another six figure bonus instead of a profit. How very social of them.

Yes two different benefits said that myself in another post if you care to read, actually went further than that and said council tax benefit is not a benefit it is an exemption .

If your refering to social housing providers as lovely fariy angelic landlords , it might surprise you to learn that if we had kept more of them instead of letting them be sold off ( by those on the right ) HPI would not have happened to the extent we have now . But for those on the far right that fact is not something they want to admit is it.

Actually, I would disagree with that. The cost of housing is priced at the margin. Government subsidising rent raises the average price of housing (land actually) , this in turn raises the average debt level in the population and lowers the average quality of housing with all the attendant social and economic costs that entails, as well as handing a greater percentage of the returns of the housing stock to the bankers and funneling money towards the top of the economic pyramid. Greater costs in the system also feed through to a requirement for higher wages which again leads to lack of competitiveness on an international level.

I think it is a dangerous fallacy that money in one set of hands is the same as money in another's. The way money is distributed and how it moves from one set of hands to another is important.

Some of the money may go down a black hole, but what one really needs to worry about is the massive black hole HB creates in the centre of our universe.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

Since when has 32% of 85% of something been the vast majority . I know the govenment fiddle with figures but have they bought out a new Maths ?

Actually, I would disagree with that. The cost of housing is priced at the margin. Government subsidising rent raises the average price of housing (land actually) , this in turn raises the average debt level in the population and lowers the average quality of housing with all the attendant social and economic costs that entails, as well as handing a greater percentage of the returns of the housing stock to the bankers and funneling money towards the top of the economic pyramid. Greater costs in the system also feed through to a requirement for higher wages which again leads to lack of competitiveness on an international level.

I think it is a dangerous fallacy that money in one set of hands is the same as money in another's. The way money is distributed and how it moves from one set of hands to another is important.

Bit complicated that .

Where ever the money goes top or bottom it can still add to GDP . Will say it again im not sticking up for the landlords im just saying that the £billion figure might be given out so the average jo agrees when the govenment goes after those at the bottom again.

Bit complicated that .

Where ever the money goes top or bottom it can still add to GDP . Will say it again im not sticking up for the landlords im just saying that the £billion figure might be given out so the average jo agrees when the govenment goes after those at the bottom again.

GDP is a very strange creature and not a measure of national well being though. GDP likes nothing more than broken windows (for instance).

I agree that this is the government going after the meek again, but I think this is one circumstance where the outcome will be in the majority's favour...or at least raising housing benefit in the past was not in the best interests of us all in the long run.

GDP is a very strange creature and not a measure of national well being though. GDP likes nothing more than broken windows (for instance).

I agree that this is the government going after the meek again, but I think this is one circumstance where the outcome will be in the majority's favour...or at least raising housing benefit in the past was not in the best interests of us all in the long run.

Agreed

Raising HB in the past was not in the best interests of anyone apart from those private landlords renting out to people on it.

But the figures often get given out with a slant on them and a few scare stories to match, end up hiting those at the bottom again , without doing enough about the other issues involved.

...yes...they are often pricing the private renter out of the market and driving inflation up atificially....just another example how the over educated government is simple and not too bright in dealing with the real world....they are driving the viability of UK plc to dust...too thick for logic to flow...we put them there..... :rolleyes:

HB/HLA is also claimed by people on low incomes who are in work, just work that pays a very low wage.