House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Self Employed Youth

Never Ending Job Has Ended - Good/bad?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789036

The painting of the Forth Bridge, a job that is famously never finished, is about to come to an end.

Network Rail, which manages the bridge, said contractors will leave the iconic structure in December and will not need to paint it again for 25 years.

That's a few people out of a job, will the private sector be able to take up the slack?

Like when the factory is modernised and half the staff are made redundant?

With workers pushed onto the dole, consumer demand will fall. How can we keep up consumer demand, when jobs require ever smaller amounts of labour?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-fife-14789036

The painting of the Forth Bridge, a job that is famously never finished, is about to come to an end.

Network Rail, which manages the bridge, said contractors will leave the iconic structure in December and will not need to paint it again for 25 years.

That's a few people out of a job, will the private sector be able to take up the slack?

Like when the factory is modernised and half the staff are made redundant?

With workers pushed onto the dole, consumer demand will fall. How can we keep up consumer demand, when jobs require ever smaller amounts of labour?

Are there any types of jobs or careers around today that weren't around 100 years ago or 50 or 5 years ago?

(there's your answer)

A book I'm reading at the moment suggests that this is not the case.

The increased production efficiency has meant that less money needs to be spent on the bridge. But that then saves money for the council or the taxpayer, which can then be spent on something else. This other spending will increase employment in another area, but collectively we're better off, as you now have a painted bridge .. plus the output of where ever the spending has gone to.

Sounds like one of those stories they repeat every decade, starting with the Luddites. There has always been a new robot that needs a master for every robot 'freed' from another master.

The increased production efficiency has meant that less money needs to be spent on the bridge. But that then saves money for the council or the taxpayer, which can then be spent on something else. This other spending will increase employment in another area, but collectively we're better off, as you now have a painted bridge .. plus the output of where ever the spending has gone to.

Up to a point. I'm looking forward to the boom in home replicators or 3D printers which put the Chinese tat manufacturers out of business. I'm going to do a nice line in artificial twigs in a vase!

They say houseprices can be a measure of the economy.

With more money to spend on things, people spend more on their houses.

But surely it would make more sense to work less and spend the same amount on our houses.

The trouble with your argument is you assume the saved money will be spent elsewhere.

But surely it would make more sense to work less and spend the same amount on our houses.

..as we go down the world food chain there will be less and less to even buy a house....never mind the upkeep.... :rolleyes:

They said this in the 70s iirc but with spare time rather than money. Robots will allow us to sit back and earn the same for doing less.

Sounds like one of those stories they repeat every decade, starting with the Luddites. There has always been a new robot that needs a master for every robot 'freed' from another master.

Really? Why are so many people employed doing pointless waste-of-time jobs that seem to exist solely to provide employment? It's not as if any sector seems to be clamouring out for workers that are tied down doing other work. The robot's master needs to be more sophisticated than the robot, and that gradually pushes up the requirements for a human to be useful resulting in more people not being of much use at all.

Anyway, wasn't painting the Forth Bridge always one of those urban myths? AIUI there was a permament maintainance team but they spent their time doing other things as well as painting.

Edited by Riedquat

Surely this has to bad for property up near the Firth of Forth?

The loss of secure jobs, presumably fairly well paid for a period of 25 years.

If you had a job there you could get a mortgage and pay it off. Not now.

Is there seriously a whole economy up there reliant on painting a bridge?

Maybe the governments new productive, progressive, value-added, 'green jobs' cans tep in here and change the colour of the bridge to green.

Really? Why are so many people employed doing pointless waste-of-time jobs that seem to exist solely to provide employment?

Thats another issue that doesn't need explaining on this website :lol:

re robots and luddites, there has always been a new bit of kit to tinker with. The problem comes from the skills of the workforce not being transferable to the new junk. Thats where Luddites and unions pop up and say no way jose, i want time to freeze and for you to give me money forever.

the size of the manufacturing cake within an economy changes too, and china etc, but this is all getting way too much to be thinking about ... but rest assured this is not a new issue, and it has always solved itself each time. individual workers will be screwed during the tech-change, but the jobs will appear somewhere else in another industry, geography.

Thats another issue that doesn't need explaining on this website :lol:

re robots and luddites, there has always been a new bit of kit to tinker with. The problem comes from the skills of the workforce not being transferable to the new junk. Thats where Luddites and unions pop up and say no way jose, i want time to freeze and for you to give me money forever.

the size of the manufacturing cake within an economy changes too, and china etc, but this is all getting way too much to be thinking about ... but rest assured this is not a new issue, and it has always solved itself each time. individual workers will be screwed during the tech-change, but the jobs will appear somewhere else in another industry, geography.

Relying on something turning up from somewhere sounds like a very dangerous way of planning for the future. I don't think it's right to say "it's always turned up" because "always" isn't long enough - it's only since the Industrial Revolution that things have changed enough for this to be a question, and really 200 years isn't that long a time; certainly not long enough to be able to have any faith in their being an inevitable progression of technology and new jobs turning up to make use of that. That's why I brought up the waste-of-time jobs. They seem to exist only because no alternative real work has appeared. Of course there are going to be blips in the course of progress. Time will tell whether now is another blip or a fundamental change of direction, but at some point I firmly believe (another article of faith though, I suppose) that the Luddites will be shown to be right. That could be now, a century, a millenium away.

Is there seriously a whole economy up there reliant on painting a bridge?

There's only 4 guys who actually paint the bridge, the other 196 manage the process of painting the bridge :lol:

Time will tell whether now is another blip or a fundamental change of direction, but at some point I firmly believe (another article of faith though, I suppose) that the Luddites will be shown to be right. That could be now, a century, a millenium away.

What will the luddites be 'right' about?

There's only 4 guys who actually paint the bridge, the other 196 manage the process of painting the bridge :lol:

Don't forget the Forth Road Bridge website and Facebook fan page that has to be managed too. wink.gif

The trouble with your argument is you assume the saved money will be spent elsewhere.

If it isn't spent elsewhere, it is removed from the economy without a corresponding removal of actual wealth, which is essentially deflation, resulting in prices dropping just the amount needed to offset that removed money.

That aside, of course it will be. The only way not to have it spent elsewhere is to bury it in the garden.

I am of the belief that we should not create jobs for the sake of creating a job just to give people something to do, giving them money making them think they are doing something that is worth paying for......I think we should all work less hours and start sharing the worthwhile productive jobs that make a difference between us.....anything else should be voluntary.

That would pull down the cost of living, therefore more would have more time to spend with family, not running around like headless chickens thinking their job is soooo important the place would collapse without them...when of course it won't, anyone can be replaced, there are many that should be replaced.

...it would never happen of course. ;)

Edited by winkie

Arent they called Eastern Europeans?

Oddly enough the word "robot" was coined by a Czech writer in a play "Rossum's Universal Robots" so you are perhaps not too far from the truth. The play is well worth a read some time or find the Radio 4 adaptation which is also very good.

Oddly enough the word "robot" was coined by a Czech writer in a play "Rossum's Universal Robots" so you are perhaps not too far from the truth. The play is well worth a read some time or find the Radio 4 adaptation which is also very good.

Surely the word 'robot' is derived from the Russian word 'robotnik', which I think means 'worker' ?