House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashConnoisseur

Father Killed Himself After Housing Benefit Cut.

Another reminder that the coalition's ill-considered Housing Benefit cuts come at a high price...

'Father killed himself after housing benefit cut':

http://www.insidehou...6517431.article

Richard Sanderson, of Southfields, south west London, committed suicide after receiving a letter from Wandsworth Council informing him his housing benefit would be cut by £30 a month.

The 44-year-old was found dead in the bath by his wife Petra on 29 May with three stab wounds in the chest and abdomen, Westminster Coroner's Court heard.

Wandsworth Council confirmed Mr Sanderson, who had a nine-year-old son, was renting from a private landlord and claiming local housing allowance.

More details here...

'Southfields dad committed suicide after housing benefit cut':

http://www.thisisloc...ng_benefit_cut/

A desperate man who lined up three kitchen knives before stabbing himself twice in the heart, blamed cuts in housing benefit.

Unemployed Richard Sanderson took his own life after writing three suicide notes which were laid out neatly on a bed in a meticulously planned act.

In one to his wife he wrote: "Don't come into the bathroom, this time I will most certainly be deceased".

Mr Sanderson, who said he could not face the thought of his family being homeless, stabbed himself twice in the heart with a kitchen knife on May 29 at home in Augustus Road, Southfields, after years of being unable to find work finally took its toll, an inquest heard.

The 44-year-old former helicopter pilot wrote three suicide notes – two for his wife, Petra, and one for the police – after carefully planning the suicide over several days.

This followed a failed attempt less than a year earlier.

Coroner: Man ordered by Job Centre to give up training course

After returning a verdict of suicide at Westminster Coroner's Court on Tuesday, August 23, Dr Fiona Wilcox said: "What I find particularly tragic in this case is this act appears to be pursued by a man who was not suffering from an illness and appears to have made a considered act in response to his inability to find employment.

"The fact his housing benefit was about to be cut and the family would be at risk of having nowhere to live, and being ordered to give up his training course because of the Job Centre's rules, would appear to be especially poignant and tragic."

[...snip...]

Mr Sanderson, who was also a window cleaner, met his wife while travelling in South Africa in 1995 before the pair eventually settled in Wimbledon in 2007 to find better work prospects in London.

Widow: Council cut our housing benefit by £30 a week

Mrs Sanderson got a job but was made redundant in 2009, while Mr Sanderson constantly struggled to find work and was unable to complete training as an electrician because the job centre would not continue to pay his benefit because his training stopped him from being available for job interviews.

Some new tenants have moved into next door of my parents' home. They are a couple with children - they are the 3rd tenants in 18 months, these are the worst so far; more worse than the students. They argue nearly everynight, f-ing and blinding.

I cut my teeth in bear markets. Be prepared.

Another reminder that the coalition's ill-considered Housing Benefit cuts come at a high price...

'Father killed himself after housing benefit cut':

http://www.insidehou...6517431.article

More details here...

'Southfields dad committed suicide after housing benefit cut':

http://www.thisisloc...ng_benefit_cut/

maybe if his family's food bill and petrol costs had not increased so much over hte past few years he may have been able to cover the difference.....

was unable to complete training as an electrician because the job centre would not continue to pay his benefit because his training stopped him from being available for job interviews.

..the logic behind this needs to be investigated by Government and changed immediately.... <_<

Mrs Sanderson got a job but was made redundant in 2009, while Mr Sanderson constantly struggled to find work and was unable to complete training as an electrician because the job centre would not continue to pay his benefit because his training stopped him from being available for job interviews.

sounds like The League of Gentlemen

..the logic behind this needs to be investigated by Government and changed immediately.... <_<

got there before me

I struggle to find sympathy, nasty of me it may well be. I have been at my wits end and down to my last quid through unemployment (job centres are not there to help truly qualified people find work, they don't have the the ability or even sometimes the inclination) But no matter How low I felt that was never an option, And I'm single with no dependents, I cannot comprehend how someone could do that to a child.

This followed a failed attempt less than a year earlier.

Did he also receive a letter from the council at that time? Or is the link with the £30/month a VI manufactured headline to make the most of the man's death?

He obviously had a screw loose.

He tried to top himself a year ago and that was before any letter about loosing a whole £30 a month of free money ffs.

This has nothing to do with government policy and everything to do with a guy that made poor choices and the selfishly decided to leave behind a young child and wife. His headstone should read "Here lies Richard Sanderson........Selfish kunt"

He tried to top himself a year ago and that was before any letter about loosing a whole £30 a month of free money ffs.

This has nothing to do with government policy and everything to do with a guy that made poor choices and the selfishly decided to leave behind a young child and wife. His headstone should read "Here lies Richard Sanderson........Selfish kunt"

True , correlation does not = causation.

This guy was already ******ed in the head.

before stabbing himself twice in the heart

Is it possible for someone to do that without some kind of mental issues? No matter how depressed they are.

Isn't there some sort of reflex that prevents us from doing this, one that can only be overcome by extreme psychological issues?

I agree with you. The rules seem to be so tight that they make it harder to pull oneself out of unemployment. When I was unemployed for a while, I was stopped benefits on the days I did unpaid voluntary work. A long time ago, I'm glad to say.

Spot on, exactly what I thought.

This has nothing to do with cuts in housing benefit.

I feel sorry for the person that has to go into the bathroom to sort out all the mess. and his wife and child who will have to move house now because of the memories. How could you take a bath in that bathroom afterwards?

It's a miniature version of what student's face.

Also not dissimilar to what happened to me in 2002-3 when they declared me ineligible because my own business had earnings above the £54/week level of the dole, even if those were less than one third of what I'd've got on benefits with housing and council tax.

What a pile of crap.

"He tried to commit suicide the first time in June 2010"

That would be a year before he was told the housing benefit would reduce.

I have been at my wits end and down to my last quid through unemployment (job centres are not there to help truly qualified people find work, they don't have the the ability or even sometimes the inclination) But no matter How low I felt that was never an option, And I'm single with no dependents, I cannot comprehend how someone could do that to a child.

Bingo. And therefore

is the link with the £30/month a VI manufactured headline to make the most of the man's death?

bingo

"and being ordered to give up his training course because of the Job Centre's rules, would appear to be especially poignant and tragic."

This just happened to a friend. He has been unemployed for over a year, doing some volunteer conservation work to keep busy. So he applied for a 16-hour a week carpentry course but was told that is considered full-time so he will lose all benefits so will starve.

Jobcentres are a complete waste of time. Better to just close them down, save the money are just pay the money out in increased benefit. Nothing is achieved in them, other than the employment of civil servants and paying rents on expensive town centre offices. Rather than pay out money to a crony on some worthless job creation programme, give the money in the form of grants to the claimant on the proviso they don't sign back on for a certain amount of time. Why they discourage training is beyond me. By all means keep the online job search website running, though I doubt it matches anything that Monster or other job search sites can't do. If people don't want to find work thats down to them. Its what £4BN a year spent of JSA? Could be blown by a crony or quango in seconds.

Its really the housing benefit bill and the state sponsored kiddie breeding business that need addressing rather than JSA. I'm afraid private landlords will have to bear the brunt on the former. Heaven forbid the rents should be made to fall or property values collapse.