House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dogbox

There's No Such Thing As English Culture.

Again on Radio 4 liberal academics / commentators made the claim (8.00pm last night - The Moral Maize) we have no culture. I keep hearing this offensive casual sentiment.

Can you imagine the uproar if I said 'x people have no culture'?

You can see from my signature what I think constitutes English culture.

Tell me Im wrong.

PS - Bit off - topic, but some of the best threads are.

Again on Radio 4 liberal academics / commentators made the claim (8.00pm last night - The Moral Maize) we have no culture. I keep hearing this offensive casual sentiment........

Its all part of the increasingly Orwellian 'Big Brother', globalised, diversified, Kafkaesque society being engineered for us by New Labours commissars.

Again on Radio 4 liberal academics / commentators made the claim (8.00pm last night - The Moral Maize) we have no culture. I keep hearing this offensive casual sentiment.

Tell me Im wrong.

You're so wrong. I consider myself to be a liberal, and I am part of an English culture that I celebrate and try to understand more with every day that I live.

I didn't know that part of English culture was the stereotype/pigeonhole people who didn't share your opinions. I thought that was just human nature! :rolleyes:

Its all part of the increasingly Orwellian 'Big Brother', globalised, diversified, Kafkaesque society being engineered for us by New Labours commissars.

Mainly the white middle class anxious liberals. If you actually ask minority ethnics (latest term BTW, ethnic minority is yesterdays label) many will tell u they were attracted to our unique culture. They didnt settle in France because they percieve the French to be less tolerant and certainly more corrupt.

Our English culture is alive and well and very attractive.

You're on-target, but off-topic

Not so sure, go back to the emmigration theme.

A culture without a culture is easier to leave, far less ties and far less to miss (that's if it a culture you can identify with).

This sort of cultural nihilism could have quite an effect on furture generations with knock on effects for the economy and housing. For a start why make permanent roots anyway in a country from which you intend retire abroad?

Tell me Im wrong.

Sorry read the words liberal accademics and radio 4 in one sentance and switched off ...

ps have you ever noticed how there are a plethora of dial a quote "experts" available as media wh0res for any topic at any given momment - sorry to sound cynical but their self promotion and need for media attention makes me inclined to think they are not all that great in academic circles and so look towards pop-culture as a living ....

You're so wrong. I consider myself to be a liberal, and I am part of an English culture that I celebrate and try to understand more with every day that I live.

I repeat, I keep hearing liberal commentators / academics especially on radio 4 and radio 5 live state 'there is no such thing as English culture'.

I m getting tired of these thought police telling me I have no culture. If I wasnt English I might call in the CRE.

ps have you ever noticed how there are a plethora of dial a quote "experts" available as media wh0res for any topic at any given momment -

Snap.

Listen out for this one; Liberals often stupm 'callers' / oppostion speakers by suddenly throwing in this "tell me, what is English culture"?

The opposer is so taken - aback by this that they have no answer and the Liberal glows with conceipt at thier victory.

Im not kidding, listen out. I think MS Chakravarty (Liberty) uses this line.

Not so sure, go back to the emmigration theme.

A culture without a culture is easier to leave, far less ties and far less to miss (that's if it a culture you can identify with).

This sort of cultural nihilism could have quite an effect on furture generations with knock on effects for the economy and housing. For a start why make permanent roots anyway in a country from which you intend retire abroad?

You might be right...

...but that makes you a RACIST!

This sort of cultural nihilism could have quite an effect on furture generations

Liberals are determined to have us dismiss our fantastic history and culture.

If I wrap myself in an Irish flag and run down Camden high street watch as the liberals wave and smile.

If I run down Camden high street in St Georges Cross, watch how they choke on theie alf - alfa.

Tell me Im wrong.

You are not wrong.

I happen to feel we have a very rich and important history and culture. The best part of our culture (and the one that probably makes people think we don't have any of our own) is that we are very tolerant and understanding of others.

Take a look at this site for a few examples of Englishness.

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/englishness.htm.

(thought I better add that I don't necessarily agree with all the definitions/explainations etc. in the above link.)

I repeat, I keep hearing liberal commentators / academics especially on radio 4 and radio 5 live state 'there is no such thing as English culture'.

I m getting tired of these thought police telling me I have no culture. If I wasnt English I might call in the CRE.

Snap.

Listen out for this one; Liberals often stupm 'callers' / oppostion speakers by suddenly throwing in this "tell me, what is English culture"?

The opposer is so taken - aback by this that they have no answer and the Liberal glows with conceipt at thier victory.

Im not kidding, listen out. I think MS Chakravarty (Liberty) uses this line.

well, I don't consider these people to be liberals in the true sense. They seem every bit as reactionary and myopic to me as the (largely imaginary) people that they are seeking to denigrate.

If you don't like it, turn off the radio and do something more constructive. I recommend reading, exercise, and visiting the little known fringe website "HousePriceCrash"

I am English (100% of as many generations that I can trace), I do sometimes read the Grauniad, yet I do not feel culturally threatened... even by these Quisling academics.

Anyway, must dash, off for some fish'n'chips, warm beer and a game of cricket. Should set me up nicely for a spot of imperialism after tiffin.

Quick point perhaps more later.

One point about this country is that it has (had?) several "cultures".

These are (were?) based on social class.

There's lots to discuss about how the sociologists of the 60s onwards analysed and to some extent put value judgements on these "cultures".

We are seeing the effects of this in that "relativity" perhaps started from this work.

Humour, and the ability NOT TO TAKE OFFENCE when others laugh ar us

That's coz(last Century) we have had to grin and bare the loss of the biggest EMPIRE in History!

Inventiveness

Not any more - companies don't give anyone time to "think quietly"! That's why there is a massive down-turn in inventions from the UK!

Individualistic. Immensely varied hobbies rather than robotic mass indoctrinated conformist activities such as worship

Up till they scrapped National Service (I think it was in the 1960's) that's exactly what was expected of every Brit.

Cannon Fodder, Brianwashed by the army, Conformism (through Patriotism) and pray to God you weren't shot or blown up by a Malasian, Cypriot, Arab, Indian etc

Fairness

Stand - up for our rights, rather than take what ever our leaders dish - up (why dont some other populations stand - up to human rights abuse as we did in our past?)

My distant ancestors from Ireland and Scotland - would disagree with you about 'their' rights!

Fun loving. Rather than so sheepishly conform to societal boudaries, we push the boudaries

What Boundaries??

People in the UK are poisoned by the aluminium in the water and in our food. It turns you into a lethargic slob. That's how they are made to conform - through Apathy!

Tell me Im wrong.

I'm a white middle class liberal academic, and I think there's plenty of English culture about, including many of the things you said in your sig. Also many other things, some of which I consider positive (e.g. irony) others negative (e.g. problematic attitude to alcohol). Sometimes it is hard to recognise your own culture unless you live abroad which might explain some English people's inability to grasp it.

Stand - up for our rights, rather than take what ever our leaders dish - up (why dont some other populations stand - up to human rights abuse as we did in our past?)

Not sure what you're on about here. Give some examples.

frugalista

If I wrap myself in an Irish flag and run down Camden high street watch as the liberals wave and smile.

If I run down Camden high street in St Georges Cross, watch how they choke on theie alf - alfa.

and that's nonsense aswell. The St George's Cross (a Turk btw, but you already knew that) has undergone a massive resurgence since Jubilee/World Cup summer. It has been re-claimed, and rightly so.

Still, I'm sure these insidious liberals will find some other way of undermining good English values soon enough. :ph34r:

Not sure what you're on about here (ENGLISH STAND UP FOR THIER RIGHTS). Give some examples.

frugalista

Examples;

Tax riots including those lead by Kentish and Essex Men a few centuries back - not sure of dates.

Womens rights.

Generally cynical of Politicians and ready to question thier motives (unlike Americans & American press, or Middle Eastern peoples who year in year out wont revolt against human rights abuse and political corruption).

Saw - off the Romans, wouldnt be brow - beaten although it took us a while.

Stood up to German bullying twice.

These are examples of Englishness IMO.

Pretty sure there are more but Im no academic!

Hehe, a funny thread.

For one thing cultures grow and change so what we (the current generation) think as being tradition may not always have been so. Terry Pratchett used to write about a city called Ankh Morpork - a city with no boundaries, where invading armies rushed in to conquer but then settled down and simply added to the mix. That's England.

Yes we have culture, but don't be afraid of it changing. Don't be xenophobic.

Other countries have culture too. Don't dismiss them or devalue their culture because it's different.

Live and let live. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Etc.

Tell me Im wrong.

Of course you have a culture.

Nuf said.

B)

Humour, and the ability NOT TO TAKE OFFENCE when others laugh ar us

That's coz(last Century) we have had to grin and bare the loss of the biggest EMPIRE in History!

Only yesterday Birmingham council banned Pig toys, pictures in fear of offending muslims. I dont blame the muslims I blame over zealous politically correct white liberals.

English culture is one of tollerance and fairness. Banning images of pigs is so un - English.

Lots of things annoy lots of us but we dont ban other peoples culture.

Part of English culture (which SOME liberals deny exists) is to laugh at one another and ourselves.

What the hell is it with people railing against 'Liberals'? Since when do PC nutjobs automatically get tagged as liberals?

As far as i'm aware, liberal priniciples are based around personal and economic freedom - i.e. do what the hell you want, just don't harm anyone but yourself in the process.

I fail to see how a group of idiots saying the British have no culture are liberals.

PS: Fsck culture, nationality, patriotism. I'm a human last time I checked, and I didn't choose to be born here, it just kinda happened.

and that's nonsense aswell. The St George's Cross (a Turk btw, but you already knew that) has undergone a massive resurgence since Jubilee/World Cup summer. It has been re-claimed, and rightly so.

Still, I'm sure these insidious liberals will find some other way of undermining good English values soon enough. :ph34r:

Yes, they reckon St George was a Turk. But, St Patrick was born in wales (didn't get to Ireland until he was 16, so they say) and St Andrew was born in Bethsaida of Galilee! It's not where they were supposedly born that's important, it's the ideals they stand for.

Tell me Im wrong.

I didnt listen to it, and I disagree with the "commentators" assertion "we have no culture" (the fact that you may view them or even they may view themseleves as 'liberal' is neither here-nor-there, as they are not views shared by all "liberals", or unique to 'liberals'), I find it some of things you list as "English culture" quite interesting:

"the ability NOT TO TAKE OFFENCE when others laugh ar us"

- not true of many people in Britain, and the fact that they might/do take offence is their right.

"Immensely varied hobbies rather than robotic mass indoctrinated conformist activities"

- yes, absolutely no sheep in Britain at all, we are all so independant. All individuals, making individual judgements the whole time, never told what to think, what to buy, when to buy, never tuning in en-masse to watch awful TV shows about how much our property worth has grown, not believing that the only way to succeed is to borrow until you go pop, never worshipping the cult of celebrity,...

"Fairness"

-I must be living in a different britain.

"Stand - up for our rights, rather than take what ever our leaders dish - up "

-I definitely must be living in a different britain, or at least have blinked when everyone stood up for their rights against ID cards, gradual abolishing of our Justice System, erosion of civili liberties, getting shot boarding trains, public service cuts, the economy being allowed to runaway away downhill, and of course when everyone stood up and did not re-elect a scumbag government who are intent on war and greed.

"why dont some other populations stand - up to human rights abuse as we did in our past?"

-because when we did in our past, like many nations, many were killed or imprisoned. It's easy for us to be smug because we dont face the same dangers for the exercise of our human rights

Britain has many great qualities, but most of them are nothing to do with what other cultures do or dont do.

Also, try not to confuse the two quite unrelated concepts of "Liberalism" and "Pretentious Idiots"

What the hell is it with people railing against 'Liberals'?

PS: Fsck culture, . I'm a human last time I checked,

Not sure where the Liberal tagg came from.

'Fsck culture'

IF WE FSCK CULTURE, DOES THAT APPLY ACCROSS THE BOARD, OR ONLY TO THE ENGLISH?

Funny how lefties / liberals are drawn to celebrating and finding out about other cultures and hold them in high esteem, yet happy to pretend the English have none.

Yea, ok, lets abandon it all, lets all pretend all cultures are the same and do nothing. Lets allow our culture to be eroded and disguarded.

English culture is important to me and a beacon of freedom and fairness to people in places such as Myamar that would die for the life you enjoy.