House Price Crash Forum
Wait & See

The Middle Class

because they are the grasping, desperados that the elite/bankers can do what they like with.

Middle class insecurity is a godsend to consumerism/bankers. The middle class asswipe will watch an advert for a new car and feels that if they spend the 20k on that shitter, it will make them more accepted by all the other middle class assholes and keep them from jumping off the nearest bridge.

Same with crappy property, fitted kitchens and bathrooms, 60" TV's and shit handbags, these people know no bounds to the insecurity that they feel.

And this is why the west is fooked. Forget the dummy bankers and look to the arseholes who actually borrowed the money, trying to get themselves a "cool" life.

Sickening!!

Its powerful my friends when looking at houses, say ah but the kitchen is old it would have to be replaced with granite and stainless appliances. My response was, really, are the current counters not capable of holding items, and the current appliances not functional?

No, its about trying to impress other people. Like the people who would go and see their kitchens, aka friends and family. And those friends and family are trying to impress the individual too. And the best way to compete is by borrowing money from the bank and getting it all right now.

What sort of man in their right mind goes to bed at night and dreams of new expensive kitchens.

I can see how some might get themselves in trouble with drinking too much, or relationship trouble, or possibly even those who waste thousands on a flashy car, but I dont understand the mentality of those who end up drowning in debt just to get somewhere to cook. What a pathetic, inadequate way to screw your life up.

well I would like a kitchen that is not merely funtional but that functions well.

I mean an open fire and a pot will cook food for you, but I prefer an electic oven TBH.

that said the utility of consumption does have very quickly diminishing returns.

because they are the grasping, desperados that the elite/bankers can do what they like with.

Middle class insecurity is a godsend to consumerism/bankers. The middle class asswipe will watch an advert for a new car and feels that if they spend the 20k on that shitter, it will make them more accepted by all the other middle class assholes and keep them from jumping off the nearest bridge.

Same with crappy property, fitted kitchens and bathrooms, 60" TV's and shit handbags, these people know no bounds to the insecurity that they feel.

And this is why the west is fooked. Forget the dummy bankers and look to the arseholes who actually borrowed the money, trying to get themselves a "cool" life.

Sickening!!

I'll go out on a limb and ask you to define "Middle class"... granted this is a very hard topic, at least since NuLab cam to power and granted 'middle class' status to an enormous tranche of people who would not traditionally have labelled themselves that way.

I consider myself sudo middle-Class-working class. I work for a living and have no way of doing otherwise. My parents were 1st generation middle class. A (consultant) doctor and a teacher, but both of very poor working class backgrounds.

The problem with blaming the middle class today, is that the deffinition i so blured that nobody understands what it means.

Let me share with you my thoughts on what the real middle class are like:

• They don't change their car that offetn because they know that cars depreciatie. They might drive a new Volvo or range Roevr every 10 years, but that is just because their circumstances change.

• They take "quality" holidays that offer value for money, not because the destination is tredy, but becaause they wan to give their kids and experience and have value for money.

• They have large kitehcnes with Agas, even though AGAs are largely fuel ineffieient.

• They will drive miles to recycle because it is the right thing to do. They don't understant the economony of energy

• The are boring

• They are small c conservative.

• They would not genreallly consider the types of people you descrive as middle class. The actions you descrive are either "nouvoux rices" or "common"

:P

• They don't change their car that offetn because they know that cars depreciatie. They might drive a new Volvo or range Roevr every 10 years, but that is just because their circumstances change.
  • They take "quality" holidays that offer value for money, not because the destination is tredy, but becaause they want to give their kids and experience and have value for money.
  • They have large kitehcnes with Agas, even though AGAs are largely fuel ineffieient.
  • They will drive miles to recycle because it is the right thing to do. They don't understant the economony of energy
  • The are boring
  • They are small c conservative.
  • They would not genreallly consider the types of people you descrive as middle class. The actions you descrive are either "nouvoux rices" or "common"

:P

Agree with the ones not crossed out. My parents were the first middle class in their ancestry on both sides, and my childhood was one of use stuff until it was run into the ground - whether it was a car or a kitchen - save hard, read widely, and experience the world.

The majority of those that think they are middle class are not. Unless you are a) a professional (doctor/lawyer) or B) can live off your investments comfortably for a year, you are working class. In my view, a lot of the 'middle class angst' is the subconcious fear that they will be found out and all the pretty things be taken away - hence the displays of wealth......

the real greedy gubbins is the proportion of the working class from 1980-2010 who thought that a lifestyle funded on credit made them better than they ought to be (to quote my gran), whether it be houses, cars, or vjazzles. :o

[*]They have large kitehcnes with Agas, even though AGAs are largely fuel ineffieient.

[

I don't get the desire for AGAs.

Agas were designed 100 years ago for constant cooking.

I worked at a hotel where they had one and it was good - when you susses it out.

Breakfast starts at 6am, stuff gets cooked and moved to the hot plate, than snacks at 11am, to tea time ,etc.

You have to be using the AGA to swallow the running cost - and it takes an eternity to heat up.

Same goes for a farm , which is the only other place that Ive seen one earn its keep.

Farmers wife constantly cooking stuff during harvest.

But an urban house, with 2 adults + 2 kids. Forget it.

Sickening!!

Good, this is most excellent. They go one way, I go the other. Now are you sure you don't want an BMW X5 also? You'll impress all your facebook friends!

Change one's mindset where theres crisis, there is opportunity.

Sickening!!

Can't say that I agree.

I see just as many consumerists in what used to be the "working class" - "middle classes" don't buy their sofas from DFS ;)

Aren't you middle class if you talk very earnestly and with authority about things you really know nothing about? Oh, and take yourself and life a bit too seriously?

Edited by dom

Sickening!!

actually hitler was trying to achieve the same policy,read his musings on "the new man".

and that was condemned to fail.

this one will too.

the proponents of this dastardly scheme are going to be routed out soon.

Its powerful my friends when looking at houses, say ah but the kitchen is old it would have to be replaced with granite and stainless appliances. My response was, really, are the current counters not capable of holding items, and the current appliances not functional?

No, its about trying to impress other people. Like the people who would go and see their kitchens, aka friends and family. And those friends and family are trying to impress the individual too. And the best way to compete is by borrowing money from the bank and getting it all right now.

Oh! I thought the better the job, house, car or kitchen you had the better a person you were. :blink:

What about trying to be less wasteful and economising with what is available, recycling, creating, mending...what about being judged on how well behaved, polite, well mannered thoughtful and self sufficient your children are...what about being thankful for what you have instead of forever craving more? :unsure:

Edited by winkie

The majority of those that think they are middle class are not. Unless you are a) a professional (doctor/lawyer) or B) can live off your investments comfortably for a year, you are working class. In my view, a lot of the 'middle class angst' is the subconcious fear that they will be found out and all the pretty things be taken away - hence the displays of wealth......

the real greedy gubbins is the proportion of the working class from 1980-2010 who thought that a lifestyle funded on credit made them better than they ought to be (to quote my gran), whether it be houses, cars, or vjazzles. :o

So what happens after you have spent your investments after living off them comfortably for a year.....you revert back to being working class? :blink:

The Middle Class Motto:

Things You Don't Need ... With Money You Don't Have ... To Impress People You Don't Even Like

They're a bunch of fakers ..... all "image" no substance. Their wages were inflated during the massive debt boom, and they are full of entitlement, materialism etc. The butt naked truth is: they are poor.

Sickening!!

+1

You can buy yourself a 'cool' life (~according to popular concensus)

A lot of people have been enslaved by their aspirations.

Some of those aspirations being quite modest, like securing a roof over your head.

And how is taking out a 10x mortgage securing a roof over your head??

Sad new build, 4x4 driving wasters have destroyed this country with their delusional bullsh1t.

So what happens after you have spent your investments after living off them comfortably for a year.....you revert back to being working class? :blink:

Is there really middle class anymore?

I might argue that there is only upper class (those with the influence and power) and lower class (those who aspire to power and wealth).

Can't we invent new 'classes'.

Suggestion:

Elite controlers - the few who have the majority of power and wealth (non of us so don't worry about this definition too much)

Realistic class - know the true value of things and people

Chav class - covers everyone else

There's nothing wrong with aspirations - the problem is people think they've achieved when they buy something. It would be nice if people aspired to help others.

I dare say once debt collapses and it's cool to be poor that some of that community spirit will come back.

The Middle Class Motto:

Things You Don't Need ... With Money You Don't Have ... To Impress People You Don't Even Like

They're a bunch of fakers ..... all "image" no substance. Their wages were inflated during the massive debt boom, and they are full of entitlement, materialism etc. The butt naked truth is: they are poor.

Not all Middle Class people are like my description .. I'm referring to the Faux Middle Class :)

Is there really middle class anymore?

I might argue that there is only upper class (those with the influence and power) and lower class (those who aspire to power and wealth).

Can't we invent new 'classes'.

Suggestion:

Elite controlers - the few who have the majority of power and wealth (non of us so don't worry about this definition too much)

Realistic class - know the true value of things and people

Chav class - covers everyone else

Who cares what class someone is?......only those that feel a need to define themselves by class. Again showing a lack of self worth