House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Sky News Is Saying That 4 Uk Banks...

RBS, Lloyds, Barclays and who else HBoS?

Or are they going to downgrade tiny banks?

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16061933

The Royal Bank of Scotland, HSBC and Barclays are three of 17 banks and financial firms which have been sued by the US government.

If it is the above it's not been a very good week.

Still I'm sure the share price will have a big bounce on Monday.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:a3b67e1f-bf0e-4b0b-bcd2-34864d0cca8a

The ratings agency Moody’s is poised to downgrade the creditworthiness of some of Britain’s biggest banks and building societies after a key report on banking reform this month that is set to recommend the imposition of robust firewalls and more stringent capital requirements.

I have learned that executives at Moody’s met this week with a number of major UK financial institutions to renew a hint that the Independent Commission on Banking’s (ICB’s) report on September 12 would be followed by a decision to downgrade the credit ratings of some of the 14 lenders whose credit status it is reviewing. These include the state-backed Lloyds TSB and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) as well as Santander UK and the Yorkshire Building Society.

Yorkshire building society Sky is reporting along with Lloyds, RBS and, I think, HSBC... but it could be Barc.

It is not the same story as the US suing the mortgage lenders.

YBS are morons - buying up other ailing building socs and ploughing all the capital into their new BTL business - I do wonder out of the Bradford & Bingley managers/execs who lost their positions 4 years ago, how many of them now work for YBS, less than 10 miles away

BBC News is reporting it now also.

Santander is hilarious - was talking with a Santander mortgage adviser last week who was adamant Santander was safe and not at risk like all the other banks because they lent prudently during the housing bubble.

I had to point out that the office we were sat in had been B&B, that B&B went bust and all the bad mortgage debt was put into a bad bank... but that Satander was also decidely dodgy also... She refused to be believe me.

Santander is hilarious - was talking with a Santander mortgage adviser last week who was adamant Santander was safe and not at risk like all the other banks because they lent prudently during the housing bubble.

I had to point out that the office we were sat in had been B&B, that B&B went bust and all the bad mortgage debt was put into a bad bank... but that Satander was also decidely dodgy also... She refused to be believe me.

did you threaten to take your business somewhere safer such as NM Rothschild

Guest spp

How many threads have we had on Santander over the years? :huh:

Early this afternoon (~1400hrs) my wife's grandad mentioned a UK bank downgrade. I now wonder where he heard it from :huh:

He must have got a mole on the inside :ph34r:

Maybe I ought to listen to him more.

I work with a guy who's other half works in the mortgage department at Santander, he came into work on Weds to inform me they were selling up for some reason, something had definately spooked her at work apparently.

I work with a guy who's other half works in the mortgage department at Santander, he came into work on Weds to inform me they were selling up for some reason, something had definately spooked her at work apparently.

Do you mean the couple where selling up or Santander where selling up?

isn't downgrading UK banks a little - like a smidgeon, by 7 years or so - err - you know - err -

late?!?!?!

(or were they downgraded in 2006, was i missing something??)

Do you mean the couple where selling up or Santander where selling up?

They were putting their house up for sale, I always know when something is amiss with Santander as this couple have a rather large mortgage and everytime bad news arises he tends to cr@p himself, if she were to lose her job they'd be up creek.

He also mentioned that some mortgage advisers were being pressured to the extreme to make deals, often with abusive emails from their bosses, sounds like a truely wonderful organisation to work for.

Edited by Ungeared

Well Santander have bought up pretty much everything that moved in the UK banking sector over the past few years...

Abbey National since 2004

Bradford and Bingley assets since 2008

Alliance and Leicester since 2008

GE Capital Bank assets since 2009

RBS assets since 2010

.... it is also the second largest bank in terms of mortgages held.

They were putting their house up for sale, I always know when something is amiss with Santander as this couple have a rather large mortgage and everytime bad news arises he tends to cr@p himselp, if she were to lose her job they'd be up creek.

He also mentioned that some mortgage advisers were being pressured to the extreme to make deals, often with abusive emails from their bosses, sounds like a truely wonderful organisation to work for.

Make deals at any cost?

Still I'm sure the bosses are looking out for their bonus.

I can't imagine any problems at the state backed banks. After all they have the triple A rated mug taxpayer standing behind them.

Yes, i am sure there will be no problem with a 100% guaranteed return if it's put to the test.

No one will ever abuse that, oh no.