House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roman Roady

And So The Paranoia Starts... The Us Needs An Enemy!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/1/pentagon-fears-listening-posts-from-china/

A Pentagon report has found that a multibillion-dollar Chinese telecommunications company that has been seeking to make major inroads in the U.S. market has close ties to China's military, despite the company’s denials.

The Pentagon’s annual report to Congress on China's military, released last month, identifies Huawei as a high-tech company linked to the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).

“The shipbuilding and defense electronics sectors, benefiting from China’s leading role in producing commercial shipping and information technologies, have witnessed the greatest progress over the last decade,” the report states. “Information technology companies in particular, including Huawei, Datang, and Zhongxing, maintain close ties to the PLA.”

That last sentence prompted Huawei’s vice president for external relations, William Plummer, to write a letter last week urging Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta to rescind the allegation.

“This reference has no basis in fact and unjustly perpetuates an aura of doubt and distrust around Huawei that has the effect of prejudicing potential U.S. customers away from the products and solutions that will modernize our communications infrastructure,” Mr. Plummer wrote.

At issue for Huawei is widespread concern among U.S. military and intelligence agencies that Huawei’s switches, chips and firmware contain “back doors” that can give China's military the equivalent of listening posts all over the U.S. telecommunications infrastructure.

Huawei’s defenders have countered that the company is being singled out because it is based in China and that U.S. companies such as Cisco Systems contract the development and production of their equipment to foreign countries and are at the same risk for back doors as the gear sold by Huawei.

In the past four years, Huawei has tried to acquire American high-tech companies and win contracts to build up the U.S. 4G wireless network. The company’s efforts, however, have run into resistance from the U.S. government.

In 2008, the Treasury Department-led Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States blocked a proposed sale of the software company 3Com to Huawei, based on national security concerns.

Last year, representatives of the National Security Agency urged major telecommunications companies such as AT&T and Sprint to cancel a deal that would put Huawei firmware and hardware on the cell towers of the 4G wireless network.

“U.S. businesses and government entities should be very wary of entering into business with any of the companies identified by the Pentagon’s report on Chinese military power as having ties to the People’s Liberation Army,” said Dan Blumenthal, a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a former China policy official at the Pentagon.

“The report is vetted by the secretaries of state and defense and the national security adviser. It represents the consensus view of the U.S. intelligence community,” Mr. Blumenthal said.

In his letter to Mr. Panetta, Mr. Plummer said: “Huawei has always operated and continues to operate, independent of any ownership, control, or linkage with the Chinese government or military.”

He added that Huawei’s equipment has “been audited and passed the security requirements of 45 of the top 50 global telecommunications operators. No customer or government has ever found any variance from international standards at any time, including those material to national security.”

Huawei was founded in 1988 by Ren Zhengfei, a former PLA engineer. The company has provided wireless network products to many countries in the Third World and more recently has helped build the wireless network for the United Kingdom.

The US will not hand over global dominance without a fight....keep an eye on these stories, there is more to come me thinks!

Is this another "red mercury" scare story? :huh:

Huawei is banned, I believe, from selling stuff in the US for security reasons. It is selling loads of kit in Europe, BT being a huge customer.

Yes that's what I thought. BT with all those Huawei cabinets supplying Infinity to everyone?? I hope my local cabinet gets linked before WW3.

At issue for Huawei is widespread concern among U.S. military and intelligence agencies that Huawei’s switches, chips and firmware contain “back doors” that can give China's military the equivalent of listening posts all over the U.S. telecommunications infrastructure.

Huawei’s defenders have countered that the company is being singled out because it is based in China and that U.S. companies such as Cisco Systems contract the development and production of their equipment to foreign countries and are at the same risk for back doors as the gear sold by Huawei.

told you so!!!!

time to get stuff in-house again,sharpish

told you so!!!!

time to get stuff in-house again,sharpish

Seems funny to describe American attempts to protect its technology and industry as paranoia. Obviously not like us and our dog and cart economy, reliant on Chinese chips, all sacrificed to the great god of banking, finance and HPI.

The Chinese might do us a favour at least and bring high frequency trading to a half in economic warfare! laugh.gif

Something our own corrupt rulers would never dare do.

Seems funny to describe American attempts to protect its technology and industry as paranoia. Obviously not like us and our dog and cart economy, reliant on Chinese chips, all sacrificed to the great god of banking, finance and HPI.

The Chinese might do us a favour at least and bring high frequency trading to a half in economic warfare! laugh.gif

Something our own corrupt rulers would never dare do.

I think being a little more favourable to our trading partners in india might pay dividends......we don't seem to have the same problems with them trying their hand at industrial espionage....but we still need a lot more stuff done in-house.

I'd like to see a deal done between tata motors and somebody like mclaren F1(to develop engines) for their vehicles.(also some mileage in doindg also a deal with a couple of US/Canadian carmakers in this)

nice big export market for that...and it would reduce our dependency on those seeking to use fuel as a weapon at the same time.

Only the Americans (possibly the Israelis) are allowed such facilities as a backdoor.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Chinese built a Menwith Hill in the UK?

Really?

All countries are out to spy on and poke at each other. We spy on the US, the French, anyone we can - and they do the same to us. It makes perfect sense for the Chinese to put back doors into the firmware, and we must be insane to accept this. They would not.

As for the idea that this is made up paranoia or propaganda.....jeez. Grow up. We have no idea how hard the intellegence agencies try to spy on communications and get an advantage. In the 50s; the British found a way to break into Egypt's ciphers by installing a tap on a telephone that listened for the noises the code wheels made when being inserted into the Enigma type machine they were using at that time. In the 60s we found a way to read French ciphers by monitoring the 240v power supply into the French embassy. They French had failed to screen the code machines correctly, and we read their messages through transmissions from the PSUs. The list is endless.

Comments like this and many others on here are up with the early 80s unilateralist arguements....they won't attack me if I am defenseless! Yeah, right!

The American people have dealt with many evil subversive influences before...

:P

Anti Disco Army !

:lol:

Perhaps we can have a campaign against those running dogs from the Pitbull/Guetta/Perry,Rhianna axis

Only the Americans (possibly the Israelis) are allowed such facilities as a backdoor.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Chinese built a Menwith Hill in the UK?

Yes, but its RAF menwith Hill, RAF Lakenheath etc. We only lease the facilities to them. We can eject them at any time. :unsure:

Listen. In the battle between Principles versus Politics. Politics always wins.

Blair, Brown, and co. Utter evil scum. the last time they needed an enemy, you and I supported them wholeheartedly.....

YES WE DID. YOU ARE PRO WAR. SO AM I.

WHY ELSE DID WE SUPPORT THE BOMBING AND MURDER OF NEARLY A MILLION NON-COMBATANT HUMAN BEINGS IN IRAQ?

Specifically we saw the United States, and the United Kingdom 'SEX UP' details to give us an excuse to massacre an ancient civilisation.

[AMERICA! Fu_ck Yeh. ]

Do you remember Condoleeza Rice, of The Bush Administration sex up details, on national television, stating they had intercepted aluminium tubes, which could be only be used for one thing.

To make a nuclear bomb.

It turned out to be a complete fabrication.

A LIE. I repeat.

A COMPLETE LIE. UTTER ********.

Labour, a smiling, corporatist government, gave the Union Jack to Satan. The figurehead of our entire legal system, supported this.

Why else do you think Blair turned to the Pope for forgiveness? The man supported Evil incarnate.

The Brainwashed People who support this kind of mass murder, from your average joe to the security services forking amaze, and scare the shit out of me.

But hey, we get oil right?

Go out and shoot some ****. Youd be right to do so./

Edited by Milton

The Brainwashed People who support this kind of mass murder, from your average joe to the security services forking amaze, and scare the shit out of me.

Psychlogically we are so easy to manipulate. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments

Think for yourself. Question everything.

Listen. In the battle between Principles versus Politics. Politics always wins.

Blair, Brown, and co. Utter evil scum. the last time they needed an enemy, you and I supported them wholeheartedly.....

WHY ELSE DID WE SUPPORT THE BOMBING AND MURDER OF NEARLY A MILLION NON-COMBATANT HUMAN BEINGS IN IRAQ?

Specifically we saw the United States, and the United Kingdom 'SEX UP' details to give us an excuse to massacre an ancient civilisation.

[AMERICA! Fu_ck Yeh. ]

Do you remember Condoleeza Rice, of The Bush Administration sex up details, on national television, stating they had intercepted aluminium tubes, which could be only be used for one thing.

To make a nuclear bomb.

It turned out to be a complete fabrication.

A LIE. I repeat.

A COMPLETE LIE. UTTER ********.

Labour, a smiling, corporatist government, gave the Union Jack to Satan. The figurehead of our entire legal system, supported this.

Why else do you think Blair turned to the Pope for forgiveness? The man supported Evil incarnate.

But hey, we get oil right?

Go out and shoot some ****. Youd be right to do so./

You have a way of expressing your self that makes it easy to discredit your opinion.

However you do convey passion and conviction.

Any way....well said Sir!

You have a way of expressing your self that makes it easy to discredit your opinion

I do not disagree with you.....

Lets just spend a minute or so recapping, Rice of the United States..........

Have a quick glance...;) [Lest we Forget]

The USA Selling A WAR

Edited by Milton

but we didn't.

now it has come to light that we were indeed set up by foreign hostile entities(see other post).

the deception was very sophisticated,and most of us were suckered.

however,this war,even though we have been sucked into a quagmire,and although we didn't start it..we will have to finish it.

(we WILL win this one btw,BUT UK AND THE YANKS WILL HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER.)

the political shenanigins of those ultimately responsible is going to get exposed shortly...and they are going to be made into pariahs worldwide.

the next attempt WILL be successful,and both of us will be bankrupted and destroyed(but believe it or not we've got a get-out-of-jail-free card!)

Edited by oracle

but we didn't.

now it has come to light that we were indeed set up by foreign hostile entities(see other post).

Eh? What other Post?[A link would be nice....:angry:]

The CIA told the Bush administration that the Iraqis did not have the capability to create WMD's.

The Bush Administration threatened cajoled and lied, to make sure they could go to war

Blair played along by lying about the 45 minute claim.

Then, we all killed a million innocent non combatants in Iraq.

If you are a UK citizen, you assisted and supported mass murder.

Edited by Milton