House Price Crash Forum

Talktalk Follows Bt By Raising Line Rental Charges - 9% Increase

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14764551

TalkTalk has said it will increase its monthly line rental charge to £13.80 from October.

The 9.5% rise - which will add £14 to customers' annual bills - follows a 5% increase in line rental and call charges announced by BT last week.

TalkTalk said it also offers the option of an annual upfront charge equivalent to £9.50 per month, although it only applies to customers taking broadband.

Will all other telecom firms be following?

At least Merv will have another excuse to put in his next letter to George. Companies just keep increasing prices...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It's due to the price of oil and gas falling so hard on the international markets.

Thinking of which, it's probably time to do some more QE to fight these intense deflationary forces.

<Edit to add: just remember, debt is wealth, war is peace and inflation is deflation. Repeat a thousand times and it will all become clear.>

Edited by _w_

HOLA445
HOLA446

They all have to pay BT in the first place, don't they, so yes.

I never really understood the BT 'privatisation' . . . it still seems to me it's a monopoly.

i gather that the Virgin setup I have is nothing to do with BT, but I might be wrong. But BT still have the monopoly everywhere outside major conurbations.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I've never really understood why BT charge line rental in the first place. They charge you £120 to install a line, and another £120 for an engineer visit if you have a fault and they can't trace it, and that's on top of the call charges and the money they get from ISPs and other telcos who use their network.

It's a rip off. I'm not charged line rental by my mobile phone operator - who's costs are arguably higher - so I don't see why I should pay line rental for my land line. I don't think it's a coincidence that the mobile phone industry is a lot more competitive and BT have a near monopoly on land lines.

I'd get rid of my land line completely and just rely on a mobile but I need broadband which requires a land line at the moment. When the next generation of mobile internet (LTE / 4g) is deployed, however, it might well become an option.

BT really do take the p*ss, they're pretty much refusing to upgrade Milton Keynes' main telephone exchange to super fast broadband despite it being a fairly affluent area with lots of demand because they have 100% monopoly and they think they might be able to squeeze some public subsidy out of the Government.

Edited by monstermunch

HOLA4411

They all have to pay BT in the first place, don't they, so yes.

I never really understood the BT 'privatisation' . . . it still seems to me it's a monopoly.

Don't tell Sid! :o

HOLA4412

Don't tell Sid! :o

Never mind about Sid, have you tried to tell Oftel it's a stitch up?

My sister had a Talk Talk package. She thought she was BT free. Not so.

Someone with a very similar number locally ordered a business line . . . BT made a mistake with the digits . . . and she then got calls intended for the local service station and, once that became apparent, she was cut off for nearly three weeks. Talk Talk couldn't do a thing because BT control the exchanges. The fact that she paid line rental to Talk Talk was immaterial.

Prior to that she had a broadband package with British Gas. (Who incidentally aren't British at all.) Someone ran up a bill on her account using rogue number dial-up software. British Gas couldn't resolve the dispute, because the only people who could really trace the numbers were BT, who wouldn't or couldn't co-operate.

Don't start me talkin' . . .

HOLA4413

Not if they have LLU

Trouble is, or so I have found, LLU is very patchy outside the main towns:

LLU availability

I'm with TalkTalk who, although I have had a few rucks with, are ok-ish but (without the benefit of LLU) just seem to piggy pack on BT apparatus acting as a "frontman".

In these straightened times, and with the highly competitive nature of broadband provision (everyman and his dog seems to be at it), I cannot see TalkTalk rolling out LLU to anything other than the biggest exchanges.

HOLA4414

Trouble is, or so I have found, LLU is very patchy outside the main towns:

LLU availability

I'm with TalkTalk who, although I have had a few rucks with, are ok-ish but (without the benefit of LLU) just seem to piggy pack on BT apparatus acting as a "frontman".

In these straightened times, and with the highly competitive nature of broadband provision (everyman and his dog seems to be at it), I cannot see TalkTalk rolling out LLU to anything other than the biggest exchanges.

I don't know about TalkTalk who seem to have a saturation marketing operation, but the "unbundlers" cherry pick. Obviously it requires a lot of investment to put your own equipment in a BT exchange.

My local BT exchange is 2 miles away as the crow flies. Benefits from being 21CN enabled and houses quite a few unbundlers, such as O2 etc. However its pointless as all the other providers are reliant on BT copper to get into people's houses, which is terrible as they are only just capable of providing a 1.4 Mbit/s service (promised nearly double).

Unlikely to every get FTTC/Infinity as Virgin/NTL have laid fibre here, which I can't get as only BT have a presence into this newish development.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I've never really understood why BT charge line rental in the first place. They charge you £120 to install a line, and another £120 for an engineer visit if you have a fault and they can't trace it, and that's on top of the call charges and the money they get from ISPs and other telcos who use their network.

Because, as a monopoly supplier, the have to give you "open" access to any call provider that you care to use.

If they didn't charge line rental you could use another Telco for your calls, thus paying BT nothing at all and hence there would be no funds to pay for the network.

Mobiles are completely different. Once you have signed up with a supplier you have to route all of your calls (at least in part) through them so they can cover the network costs from their call income.

tim