House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Interesting Poll On The Front Page Of The Daily Mail Website

They're not stupid - you ARE better off on the dole.

The fact that a minimum wage employee pays income tax and NI makes you realise that the system is fooked beyond repair.

Buckers

+1

A NMW paying job just about works if it's done in your own front room. The minute you have to spend money to get to the poxy thing it becomes an instant loser. Better to stub your toe up and claim incapacity benefit, especially since Cameron can't be bothered to tighten up on it like he promised.

+1

A NMW paying job just about works if it's done in your own front room. The minute you have to spend money to get to the poxy thing it becomes an instant loser. Better to stub your toe up and claim incapacity benefit, especially since Cameron can't be bothered to tighten up on it like he promised.

Very true, the two people I know who are on it, one a total shirker-the other has a fooked back but could easily work in the right job, had thier claims rejected, both appealled and both won and are back on the gravy train.

I took a NMW job after my contract was prematurely ended at another role.

Complete and utter horror. I couldn't afford decent dental care, I didn't have enough money to buy decent food so had to live on the basics, and rent and council tax were a nightmare. My hours would constantly change for the worse so there was no consistency to what I was earning. As for trying to save anything, forget it. I was never a high roller to be honest, don't have overloaded credit cards or yearly holidays, but it was a real, deeply demoralising time in a world I hope I never see again. I've just accepted a new role which will have me earning around 3 times what I was on before. Thank God.

A lot of these min wage jobs are not only min wage but also restricted hours, short ime working, short contract, no benefits.

Utterly useless in a high cost economy apart from desperate propping up of a main salary that is no longer paying the bills and they are rising at double digit rates at the moment, up to 10x the inflation target and earnings.

If you could afford to pay for food, shelter, warmth and put money aside for retirement on a low paid job then I'd think it was disgraceful for anyone to turn it down.

As you can't then I think the system needs changing to ensure that the costs of these easily provided things are driven down.

But on the newspaper polls front the free Cambidge Newspaper always publishes the results of their website polls in their print edition. They are always manipulated to make the paper look stupid but they always publish them regardless.

This week we are told that the average Cambridge Evening News online reader sleeps rough and overwhelmingly rejects climate change.

This week we are told that the average Cambridge Evening News online reader sleeps rough and overwhelmingly rejects climate change.

That makes perfect sense. If someone is sleeping outside of course they want global warming!

The fact that a minimum wage employee pays income tax and NI makes you realise that the system is fooked beyond repair.

Buckers

The problem arises when your benefits are still being withdrawn and you begin paying tax an NI.

Housing benefit taper = 65%

Council tax benefit taper = 20%

NI = 12%

Tax = 20%

Cumulative EMTR = 117%

Earn £1, lose £1.17.

At minimum wage you can lose about £1 an hour.

Not taking into account, NHS dental and opticians, travel to work, and work related food and clothing costs.

Buckers

I agree your NI and tax statement. Imo if you earn <20k you should pay very little of either. Minimum wage jobs does sometimes make sense however. e.g a young person still living at home just starting out and wanting to get experience. It worked for me. I now earn in an hr what I used to earn in a week.

If you could afford to pay for food, shelter, warmth and put money aside for retirement on a low paid job then I'd think it was disgraceful for anyone to turn it down.

As you can't then I think the system needs changing to ensure that the costs of these easily provided things are driven down.

+1

That makes perfect sense. If someone is sleeping outside of course they want global warming!

How many times does it have to be said, I mean really, are you stupid or just ignorant? Climate change is not just global warming, and weather is not climate.

Well, not any more, what with it all being demonstrably wrong (and possibly even fraudulent) every few months...

Buckers

min wage is the same all over the UK, min wage in London is pocket money a whole days work for a weekly travel card, then mw has gone up below inflation, mw should be around £8

min wage is the same all over the UK, min wage in London is pocket money a whole days work for a weekly travel card, then mw has gone up below inflation, mw should be around £8

Minimum wage had unintended consequences. Employers en masse simply revised job offers down to the minimum wage. And it stands to reason, if people won't take minimum wage jobs, they won't work for less either. Not to mention that it isn't a wage at all, only an hourly rate.

On the local Directgov jobsite, almost every min wage job is advertised with the rider, 'tax credits can top up your earnings'. No idea to what extent this still applies?

The propaganda against scroungers and workshy is as strong as ever, but half the rubbish min wage jobs advertised locally simply aren't doable. Many specs include, for example, 'this is a self-employed vacancy, but client assures us it is possible to achieve a minimum wage'. Then you get such things as, 'this is a zero hours contract' . . .

The whole business of employment and self-employment needs rationalising.