House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Straight Razor V.s Disposable Cartridges

Does anyone actually use a straight razor?

I'm sure there was a thread on it but the search function on this site is typically s***.

I'm tempted to buy one, since using a warm water shaving soap has proved to be superior to gels. So maybe the "old ways" are best. I suppose anyone's main fear is carving their face up :lol:

But I'm reading the shave is better, and is of course a lot cheaper than burning money on cartridges. Seems to me disposable razors were invented to make more money out of shaving, the same way ink cartridges cost a fortune.

Searching Ebay I noticed some ridiculous looking devices i.e. a straight razor that takes a disposable blade!? Not sure what the point of that is...

Anyway, are straight razors also difficult to sharpen/hone?

Does anyone actually use a straight razor?

I'm sure there was a thread on it but the search function on this site is typically s***.

I'm tempted to buy one, since using a warm water shaving soap has proved to be superior to gels. So maybe the "old ways" are best. I suppose anyone's main fear is carving their face up :lol:

But I'm reading the shave is better, and is of course a lot cheaper than burning money on cartridges. Seems to me disposable razors were invented to make more money out of shaving, the same way ink cartridges cost a fortune.

Searching Ebay I noticed some ridiculous looking devices i.e. a straight razor that takes a disposable blade!? Not sure what the point of that is...

Anyway, are straight razors also difficult to sharpen/hone?

It takes a bit of time to learn to put a razor edge on reliably, and to use it without damaging it (or yourself!). The quality and material of the blade is reasonably important. A carbon steel blade will take a better edge than stainless, but requires more sharpening and care to prevent rust.

A reasonable compromise might be a safety razor - back when I shaved I would spend all of a couple of pounds a year on blades for mine, and it gave a nice shave.

220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

I always fancied the idea of an open blade shave at a Turkish barbers, I've now done it twice at different places and both left me in agony compared to a shave with a Gillette sensor.

Gillette are ripping the @@@@ out of it with their sensor, sensor excel, fusion, proglide nonsense, but they usually sell their newest product at a knockdown price to start with and recoup it later with the extortionate blades.

I have a proglide and it is better than the rest, but only very marginally.

If the pros can't give a shave that doesn't leave me in agony when they're supposed to be giving me a 30 minute pleasurable experience then there's no chance I'm trying to rattle through one in 5 minutes before going to work.

I asked in several barbers about the advantages of a cut throat versus a disposable and they all said the disposable gave the better shave, so I stuck with them. I use this one from LIDL:

SNF17CCLID-280_910322a.jpg

Others on this Sun page; http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/captaincrunch/2687122/Captain-Crunch-advises-you-on-where-to-get-cheap-razors.html

I'm with the brush and shaving soap brigade, it lasts for ages although I will be getting a new brush this Christmas as mine is threadbare and it does make a big difference to the quality of the lather.

It takes a bit of time to learn to put a razor edge on reliably, and to use it without damaging it (or yourself!). The quality and material of the blade is reasonably important. A carbon steel blade will take a better edge than stainless, but requires more sharpening and care to prevent rust.

A reasonable compromise might be a safety razor - back when I shaved I would spend all of a couple of pounds a year on blades for mine, and it gave a nice shave.

220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

The safety razor is the best. Perfected over 100 years ago and never bettered. Mine will shave pussy smooth as silk or cut through the thickest beard and has done for all the 40 years I have owned it.

The safety razor is the best. Perfected over 100 years ago and never bettered. Mine will shave pussy smooth as silk or cut through the thickest beard and has done for all the 40 years I have owned it.

one side for pussy one side for beard?

which is the toughest to shave?

Try Tesco's own cartridge system first - fraction of the price of gillette rip-off prices but about 90% as good.

Tesco used to do a 3 blade system, which has now appeared in Aldi. I've used it for the last 5 years without complaint.

Buy 1 mach 3 blade and use it for a year.

Mop up the blood with toliet paper, which is far cheaper than disposable razors.

Aldi do 10 disposable razors for 89p. Not quite as good as a Gillette but not very far off at all.

I only use Gillette razors because I just find them better than any others. But they are expensive.

This "safety razor" is new to me. So how come the blades in a safety razor last so long? You sharpen them somehow? It seems popular with you lot.

I only use Gillette razors because I just find them better than any others. But they are expensive.

This "safety razor" is new to me. So how come the blades in a safety razor last so long? You sharpen them somehow? It seems popular with you lot.

Back when I shaved I would get about a month from each blade. The blades stay sharp longer than a cut throat because they are hardened (and a cut throat can't use hardened steel) and longer than a disposable because they are thicker so you are less likely to damage the blade edge - also you can take the blade out to clean off the crud. The real saving is, though, that 10 blades cost a couple of quid, so that's about 2 quid a year.

No sharpening required, but you do have to change your shaving style a bit. Don't press into the skin - the razor is heavy enough to do the job; hold the blade at about a 30 degree angle to the skin; go with the grain of the hair. Also the most likely time to cut yourself is when you bring the razor into contact with the skin initially so to avoid that start with the bottom bar on the skin (about a 50 degree angle) and then rotate to the thirty degree angle. It becomes second nature how to use it fairly quickly.

They're more durable - whether that's because they're thicker or deeper I don't know. They are also double-sided so you can swap sides during a shave, I guess it evens the wear out.

There's none of this aloe-vera strip or whatever either - that'll just add more gunk to your face that'll wear the blade if you go over the same spot twice.

Or it may be because Gillette/Wilkinson Sword make their blades with just enough sharpness/metal to last a week or so, so that you keep buying more - who knows?

"Safety Razors" are really old, like monocles, and wind up pocket watches. :huh:

I am surprised some people here haven't got one.

"Safety Razors" are really old, like monocles, and wind up pocket watches. :huh:

I am surprised some people here haven't got one.

Wait for it Mr Pin.....

I did have a wind-up pocket watch myself during a very short-lived young fogey stage. I think it was limited to the watch.

I always fancied the idea of an open blade shave at a Turkish barbers, I've now done it twice at different places and both left me in agony compared to a shave with a Gillette sensor.

Gillette are ripping the @@@@ out of it with their sensor, sensor excel, fusion, proglide nonsense, but they usually sell their newest product at a knockdown price to start with and recoup it later with the extortionate blades.

I have a proglide and it is better than the rest, but only very marginally.

If the pros can't give a shave that doesn't leave me in agony when they're supposed to be giving me a 30 minute pleasurable experience then there's no chance I'm trying to rattle through one in 5 minutes before going to work.

+1

I used to use disposal razors but they always left me sore and red. I've tried a Turkish shave once and I left to go to town straight after. How embarrassing, as I was bleeding spotty from it! Plus, some bits were missed off!!! Felt good to sit there with the hot towel, but it really wasn't worth it.

Undoubtedly the best shave now is from my Gillette Fusion blades. Cost a bit more but to be honest, each blade set lasts 1-2 months, and you get 6 in a packet for a tenner or so - so really not THAT expensive. It's actually pretty enjoyable (especially with tea tree and mint foam lol). Best shave ever!

Wait for it Mr Pin.....

I did have a wind-up pocket watch myself during a very short-lived young fogey stage. I think it was limited to the watch.

Pocket watches make a statement about telling the time! You can get them out in interviews when you get bored. :huh:

I'd quite like one myself, but I am no fan of Victorian shaving implements!

I'd quite like one myself, but I am no fan of Victorian shaving implements!

Tried a D.E. safety razor then?

This website has done three things for me over the years:

- Provided a sanctuary from the house price inflation madness all around.

- Expanded my horizons about bananas.

- Prompted me to try shaving with disposable razors and no foam. Which works fine as long as I do it every day (there's a downside to everything).