House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TruraBuoy

No Wonder We Are In A State

Hundreds of staff at the huge new Olympic shopping mall had to be taught to read and write after bosses found they could not even fill in basic forms.

Employees at Westfield Stratford City have been given remedial tuition after Australian director John Burton made the "incredible" discovery that they were illiterate.

The boss of the £1.45 billion mall said he was amazed that so many have left British schools without basic skills. He told the Evening Standard: "The most difficult thing was the number who simply do not meet the basic reading and writing criteria.

"They could not even fill out the forms without getting assistance. They just weren't ready to interview."

Linky http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-olympics/article-23983067-bosses-shocked-by-hundreds-of-games-staff-who-cannot-read-or-write.do

Uk thing, i'm afraid. Was in a shop with two teenage mothers, they were trying to add up three different prices in their heads. No chance. So out came the the mobile phone and they tried to add it up on that. Well, they gave up, could not do it.

Do you think this is a UK thing or just a London thing?

Some of the schools in the location have 30 kids in the class all with different mother tonuges , many have not been here for long either .

The exciting melting pot of multicultureisim does have some draw backs.

I'm not going to go on about it yet again, but I'm abroad and the contrast in educational standards is quite something. The biggest dunces here would be among the brighter pupils in some British schools, really I'm not sure I'm joking about that

I'm not going to go on about it yet again, but I'm abroad and the contrast in educational standards is quite something. The biggest dunces here would be among the brighter pupils in some British schools, really I'm not sure I'm joking about that

But we had a 97% pass rate in our "A" level results this year . What are they getting where you are ? lol.

But we had a 97% pass rate in our "A" level results this year . What are they getting where you are ? lol.

I was chatting to some people here about the poor education I had noticed in the UK, they said exactly what one of the posters on this thread said

If these people couldn't even fill in basic forms , (such as the application form for the post they were applying for), why were they invited for interview in the first place?

Strange.

If these people couldn't even fill in basic forms , (such as the application form for the post they were applying for), why were they invited for interview in the first place?

Strange.

Quite , I have a few idears on that but im going to keep them to myself .

Yeah I notice this more when I come back off holiday. Turn up at Heathrow and be welcomed back to the society of the knuckle dragger.

There is a hell of a lot of deadwood in this country, a lot of it ending up in companies that are badly run or inefficient, taking away jobs from people who genuinely want to work and achieve. I think a big part of us getting away with this for so long has come from the housing ATM, money for nothing and chicks for free (OK the chicks may cost half a shandy).

Absolutely right. Also, it is not racist to complain about the fact that in many schools the majority of children do not speak English. How can the native children be taught more advanced English if teachers are spending their time trying to teach the language from scratch?

found they could not even fill in basic forms.

Like an income tax return. You are not sure of how to categorize something, it directs you to some other 'guidance' document which raises yet more ambiguities. You ask your accountant and he can tell you common practice but is not sure if you would get away with doing what you want. You ask a tax lawyer and all he can do is point to some case history whilst telling you to do it in the hope of generating a fee for himself. You phone the tax office, they give their opinion, which always means the highest tax option and they reserve the right to change their minds later. If the most educated people can't give a definitive answer, how is the common man supposed to fill in the simple form.

Absolutely right. Also, it is not racist to complain about the fact that in many schools the majority of children do not speak English. How can the native children be taught more advanced English if teachers are spending their time trying to teach the language from scratch?

Not so simple. I went to a tediously homogenous school where the standard of teaching was appalling. Many of my school friends are barely literate and those who are not are self-taught.

How can it all have gone so impossibly wrong in just 50 years?

My Mum went to a Grammar school in North Yorkshire. 500 years old. Wooden panelled walls. Masters in tri corner hats and robes. Taught to be fluent in Latin.

This was the local 1950's equivalent to the modern day comprehensive.

Where kids are having to avoid knife fights in the tuckshop.

Where teachers do not care at all about the students education and police patrol the grounds. Where teachers are knocked unconcious by students, etc, etc......

Is it all the result of the welfare state, immigration, and the influence of the USA?

The last thing we should be doing is throwing more money at teachers and education.

As a nation we've never spent more on education. And in our history we have never had such an educated populace. Like 40% or somethign have Bachelor's degrees.

Yet all these well educated people have ran most of our institutions into the ground.

Yeah I notice this more when I come back off holiday. Turn up at Heathrow and be welcomed back to the society of the knuckle dragger.

There is a hell of a lot of deadwood in this country, a lot of it ending up in companies that are badly run or inefficient, taking away jobs from people who genuinely want to work and achieve. I think a big part of us getting away with this for so long has come from the housing ATM, money for nothing and chicks for free (OK the chicks may cost half a shandy).

+1

(btw the Stansted lot make the Heathrow seem like 19th Century intellectuals)

Shakespear must be turning in his grave. his hometown has such a poor grasp of english and history.

;)

Geography too... unless that was your well-hidden point !

Actually, looking at the other mistakes in your sentence I realise i've bitten at the easy gag haven't I?

Geography too... unless that was your well-hidden point !

Actually, looking at the other mistakes in your sentence I realise i've bitten at the easy gag haven't I?

I thought the winky-face was a giveaway! :o:D