House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Steam (Game Platform)

I've recently discovered that LucasArts have remade their first two Monkey Island adventures with updated graphics, music etc.

They're available via Steam -- which is something I have no experience of.

Being a bit of an old timer, I'd quite like to have a local copy of a game (in the old days, I'd've bought the disc with the game on) and be able to play it indefinitely and offline (if I choose to). I'm a bit nervous of what restrictions Steam may impose -- in ten years, will I still be able to play a game that was purchased through Steam? Will I be able to play a Steam game without an internet connection? And loads of stuff like that which bothers old timers such as meself.

Will someone please bring me up to date! :)

I've recently discovered that LucasArts have remade their first two Monkey Island adventures with updated graphics, music etc.

Being a bit of an old timer, I'd quite like to have a local copy of a game (in the old days, I'd've bought the disc with the game on) and be able to play it indefinitely and offline (if I choose to). I'm a bit nervous of what restrictions Steam may impose -- in ten years, will I still be able to play a game that was purchased through Steam? Will I be able to play a Steam game without an internet connection? And loads of stuff like that which bothers old timers such as meself.

Yes you can play the game offline but I have no idea what will happen in ten years ;). Before you buy anything of steam it is best to wait until one of their big sales where they knock upto 80% of the normal prices. The next one is due at Christmas but be aware that buying games from steam can become addictive. Previous games i have bought include:

Far cry £1.25, Vice City £1 and Crysis £2.

At those prices i fail to see how you can get cheaper entertainment.

Steam is fine. You'll be able to play in 10 years, and in fact it's a safer way to buy games because they'll always be linked to your account as opposed to being sat on a disk to warp/lose/scratch. It's far more convenient than traditional game shopping to be honest.

You can play a Steam game without an internet connection, you'll only need to be connected up the first time you play it, although a computer without internet connection is unheard of today gramps!

They're only £7 each. What's the worst that could happen?

Steam is good. You can slap it on multiple pcs usually, just not play simultaneously. No need to scrabble around trying to find the 3rd disc or the key.

Best bit - all the games just work (usually). For instance, recently got the original xcom from them. Now usually that is a whole lot of faffing about to make work under modern OS... double click and away on steam.

Steam is fine. You'll be able to play in 10 years, and in fact it's a safer way to buy games because they'll always be linked to your account as opposed to being sat on a disk to warp/lose/scratch.

Unless they cancel your account when you have thousands of pounds worth of games attached to it. Or go bust. Or...

Steam is OK but the more games I buy the less I'm willing to pay for them because they could all vanish tomorrow.

Unless they cancel your account when you have thousands of pounds worth of games attached to it. Or go bust. Or...

Steam is OK but the more games I buy the less I'm willing to pay for them because they could all vanish tomorrow.

So, if I were to buy the remake of Monkey Island 1, say, download it to my PC and it works fine... then Steam goes bust... would I still be able to play the game?

In other words, for any Steam game I buy, could I download the game, even burn it onto disc (so that I have a copy of that game) and play it in years to come whatever happens to Steam in the meantime?

I know I'm being an old git here, but I really do (from time to time) blow the dust off an old PC game (maybe from up to 20 years ago) and have a little nostalgia trip... and I would like to be able to do that even with Steam games.

I'm clearly from the old school where I buy something and then it's mine until *I* decide I don't want it any more... ;)

So, if I were to buy the remake of Monkey Island 1, say, download it to my PC and it works fine... then Steam goes bust... would I still be able to play the game?

In other words, for any Steam game I buy, could I download the game, even burn it onto disc (so that I have a copy of that game) and play it in years to come whatever happens to Steam in the meantime?

I know I'm being an old git here, but I really do (from time to time) blow the dust off an old PC game (maybe from up to 20 years ago) and have a little nostalgia trip... and I would like to be able to do that even with Steam games.

I'm clearly from the old school where I buy something and then it's mine until *I* decide I don't want it any more... ;)

Honestly - by then a: it will be damn hard to play the thing anyway, b: it would be so cheap and an instant download anyway that it really doesn't matter.

check out gog.com , once you download the game there is no server to log into and you don't need to be connected to the internet to play they also have a good selection

check out gog.com , once you download the game there is no server to log into and you don't need to be connected to the internet to play they also have a good selection

I buy from gog.com when I can, but a lot of game companies haven't released their games there yet.

I buy from gog.com when I can, but a lot of game companies haven't released their games there yet.

they do have some great games you can't get elsewhere

baldurs gate 1 & 2 for example

also nothing over $9.99

So... 'no' then? ;)

Don't know, but I've been using them for what seems like forever, but has probably only really been this century.

Looking into it, was probably 2002 with Counterstrike and Day of Defeat. So it's been around a while, and I have plenty of software (not to mention hardware) from 2002 floating around that I should really throw out as I can't use it properly with the modern OS.