House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Went To View A House - I Was There, Seller Wasn't

OK, this is an anecdotal but I thought I would share it with you all on the main forum for a bit.

Went to view a house today. Seller was supposed to be showing me around. I was there 1 minute early, rang door-bell and no answer. Waited 15 mins, repeatedly rang door bell but no sign of seller.

Some people obviously just don't get it do they.

I actually liked the house from peering in through the windows, a tad over-priced and on a road that is a bit busy at times... but I was actually interested in this house... but I ain't no longer.

I told the EA that the seller needed to realise it was a buyers' market.

OK, this is an anecdotal but I thought I would share it with you all on the main forum for a bit.

Went to view a house today. Seller was supposed to be showing me around. I was there 1 minute early, rang door-bell and no answer. Waited 15 mins, repeatedly rang door bell but no sign of seller.

Some people obviously just don't get it do they.

I actually liked the house from peering in through the windows, a tad over-priced and on a road that is a bit busy at times... but I was actually interested in this house... but I ain't no longer.

I told the EA that the seller needed to realise it was a buyers' market.

were you generously carrying some fresh sticks for their vase?

^ What they said :D

If my neighbours new it was me coming to laugh at their house price delusions then they'd probably not show up either.

Hmm, the upstairs windows were all open. Perhaps the seller was hiding behind the curtains?

Hmm, the upstairs windows were all open. Perhaps the seller was hiding behind the curtains?

perhaps it was Krusty, and she just couldnt make it down the stairs?

Happened to me all the time when I was actively looking, if it wasn't the seller it was the Estate Agent.

I'd say it was as high as 1 in 5. People are asking for a quarter of a million pounds and they can't give you 5 minutes.

Happened to me all the time when I was actively looking, if it wasn't the seller it was the Estate Agent.

I'd say it was as high as 1 in 5. People are asking for a quarter of a million pounds and they can't give you 5 minutes.

How did YOU know that it was aquarter of a million pounds? :lol:

I usually just turn up, check someone is in the house, then phone the EA to ask for a viewing. This approach serves a number of purposes.

A. Check how motivated the seller is (The EA knows well that I am in a very good position to buy). If the sellers can't be bothered, then I know they are just flying the kite. It avoid wasting my time.

B. Check how the house look like, when it is "unprepared". If it's tidy and clean when unprepared, the vendor is normally organised nice people as well.

C. I always get to view the house.

Oh and sometimes it helps if you say that you just happen to viewing another house nearby - It sounds less intrusive. And dress smartly, so you look like you got a proper job and not a time waster. The vendors tend to open up more, if they think you are genuine.

Oh and sometimes it helps if you say that you just happen to viewing another house nearby - It sounds less intrusive. And dress smartly, so you look like you got a proper job and not a time waster. The vendors tend to open up more, if they think you are genuine.

If I ever decide to buy a place I will do the opposite. Will probably just run to the place for a bit of exercise and turn up in shorts and T-shirt.

If I am spending my good money on someone's house then what I am wearing means sweet FA. They are not doing me a favour. In fact in this sort of market - quite the opposite.

If you then put in an offer on the back of this - they will know you are deadly serious and you also don't give a flying ****** about how you look or what impression you give. You will be in charge in the negotiation. Simple human nature. ;)

If I ever decide to buy a place I will do the opposite. Will probably just run to the place for a bit of exercise and turn up in shorts and T-shirt.

If I am spending my good money on someone's house then what I am wearing means sweet FA. They are not doing me a favour. In fact in this sort of market - quite the opposite.

If you then put in an offer on the back of this - they will know you are deadly serious and you also don't give a flying ****** about how you look or what impression you give. You will be in charge in the negotiation. Simple human nature. ;)

FWIW, I turned up in shorts and t-shirt but then everyone in that part of Swansea wears shorts and t-shirts in the Summer... some in the winter... and boy, was it hot today...

I am buying a house, not going for a job at Credit Suisse.

Sorry TMT I was on the toilet, I had a curry last night. I did shout out the window "vindaloo, vindaloo" a few times but you must not have heard me.

Please come tomorrow instead and I will knock £50 off the asking price.

Sorry TMT I was on the toilet, I had a curry last night. I did shout out the window "vindaloo, vindaloo" a few times but you must not have heard me.

Lucky for TMT you weren't shouting Gardyloo, Gardyloo instead. :blink:

I came round after TMT in my appointed slot and you must've still been on the crapper, coz you didn't answer for me either.

About people turning up late a bugbear of mine is similar to this: people who are there but keep you waiting. This is also a power thing. In many cases, almost certainly done deliberately. At a job interview for instance.

About people turning up late a bugbear of mine is similar to this: people who are there but keep you waiting. This is also a power thing. In many cases, almost certainly done deliberately. At a job interview for instance.

I always assume it's because they are badly organised and some random shit came up. Probably someone being mistaken on the internet.

FWIW, I turned up in shorts and t-shirt but then everyone in that part of Swansea wears shorts and t-shirts in the Summer... some in the winter... and boy, was it hot today...

I am buying a house, not going for a job at Credit Suisse.

Well I never knew that about Swansea. Sounds like some sort of Med hot spot. Ace.

With you on the bold. When buying you are in charge and they are selling to you - not the other way around.