House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

I Need Something Good To Say On The Economic Outlook For Uk

Moderators can you leave this on the main forum for a few hours please.

Mrs Posh has an important call with her overseas parent company and has stumped me on this question.

Doesn't have to be 100% concrete (I.e. UK is well placed for an economic recovery, weak pound brilliant etc etc) any snippets appreciated and a one liner if they ask further probing questions that's stump them, stopping them in their tracks.

Thank you all.

Edited by tomposh101

Mrs Posh has an important call with her overseas parent company and has stumped me on this question.

Doesn't have to be 100% concrete (I.e. UK is well placed for an economic recovery, weak pound brilliant etc etc) any snippets appreciated and a one liner if they ask further probing questions that's stump them, stopping them in their tracks.

Thank you all.

The UK has a Government which will ensure that no nominal losses are sustained by anyone, ever. It's all laughter and balloons from here.

How about education?

Not the everyday education for our kids, which has been watered down so much as to be almost pointless.

Higher education. The top universities are attracting some of the top students from around the world and a lot of these stay afterwards, so there's quite a lot of good graduates to build a business up with.

We *had*, by far, the worst prime minister in the world. Gordon Brown, not only buggered the UK economy but is also responsible for the rest of the world.

One must not forget his deregulation, that led to the abolition of the Glass Steagall act in America, as part of Browns attempt to move the US financial sector to London.

Now a human disaster like that, is really something to be very proud of!

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/inflationreport/infrep.htm

CPI inflation is set to rise further in 2011, boosted by increases in utility prices. Inflation is likely to fall back through 2012 and into 2013 as the impact of the factors temporarily raising inflation diminishes and downward pressure from slack in the labour market persists. But the precise timing and extent of that fall are highly uncertain.....the chances of inflation being above or below the 2% target in the medium term are judged to be roughly equal.

Domestically, the strength of the recovery will depend on the extent to which households have further to adjust to past falls in their real incomes or to the uncertainty associated with the financial crisis and the fiscal consolidation now in train. It will also depend on whether the desire of companies to initiate deferred projects or to increase capacity in those sectors benefiting from the rebalancing of the economy is sufficient to support a recovery in business investment, against a general backdrop of only modest economic expansion. The outlook for both household and business spending will also depend on the extent to which the availability of bank credit improves and the cost falls.

More BoE waffle at the link.

I would argue that the lower pound has boosted exports, which it has, so a rebalancing of the economy is taking place. Then go on to say the exports are not just physical, but service exports too. You can then talk about corporate profits as above.

Thank you all.

When i come back now to the UK and am able to sneak a pot noodle, a Bombay Badboy now costs less than 2 Francs, whats not to love

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

depends what the telephone conversation is to be about.

If its about childcare, then we have first rate child care and NHS.

If its about the economy, then which part.

Went into a client yesterday and they were booming....a fan club for a mega pop group selling T shirts, mugs and posters.

Thank you all.

"UK CDS are currently below that of Germany and our debt is still AAA rated so financially we are the safest of all Western countries."

(does it have to be true?)

"UK CDS are currently below that of Germany and our debt is still AAA rated so financially we are the safest of all Western countries."

It's an outlook so I guess not. Making the right sounds will do for now. What you have said is pretty good as were the other mentions re. corporate earnings, it's still business as usual on treasure island.

depends what the telephone conversation is to be about.

If its about childcare, then we have first rate child care and NHS.

If its about the economy, then which part.

Went into a client yesterday and they were booming....a fan club for a mega pop group selling T shirts, mugs and posters.

Good for some +1

It's a broad spread over EMEA with a hint of retail on the UK so can't shoot down disposable incomes.

I heard a brilliant description of this "part of europe but not in the euro effect" somewhere (can't quite remember where) .....

Sometimes it pays to be the best looking horse in the glue factory

:-)

Some good points about the UK economy..

-The greater London property market is a huge and liquid market. Where rich from all over the world are buying as a way to protect their wealth.

-We have a number of areas of strength in the global economy. Software, defense equipment, legal services, marketing, corporate management, architecture, accounting, hedge funds, medical research perhaps the most promising.

We're not going to be a country where some average person can get a good job working at the factory. Its more a country where a highly intelligent white colar professional can live it up in a class society with a bunch of other highly intelligent white colar professionals.

The blue colar workers, work installing new granite counter tops for these professionals.

-The greater London property market is a huge and liquid market. Where rich from all over the world are buying as a way to protect their wealth.

-We have a number of areas of strength in the global economy. Software, defense equipment, legal services, marketing, corporate management, architecture, accounting, hedge funds, medical research perhaps the most promising.

We're not going to be a country where some average person can get a good job working at the factory. Its more a country where a highly intelligent white colar professional can live it up in a class society with a bunch of other highly intelligent white colar professionals.

The blue colar workers, work installing new granite counter tops for these professionals.

Ah, reminiscent of the knowledge economy....just needs some production, somewhere to pay for it all.

Magratheans went to sleep for thousands of years when the Galaxy could no longer afford their fees.

The lottery scheme has been working relentlessly for the last 15 years in the UK to generate wealth. This is what many people, when asked, rely on for their future economic success in the UK, the more ardent supporters of this scheme are quite optimistic about their imending economic success stories and get quite excited about it at quite frequently.

Until it's all outsourced.

The UK Economy is doing well if you own a coffee shop or charity shop. Each high street has tons of them. In fact, that's all a typical UK high street has in it.

Thank you all.

That when the reset occurs there will be erm lots of free food around?