House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
generation jones

Douglas Carswell Talks Sense

According to Matt Ridley’s Rational Optimist, “Where it took [an average worker] sixteen weeks to earn the price of 100 square feet of housing in 1956, now it takes fourteen weeks”

Eh? Can someone explain this factoid to me? This optimistic point of view doesn't tie in with any reality that I can see looking out from my window. It must just refer to the raw materials, not the plot and house combined?

According to

, the median family now spends 76% more of their income on housing than they did in 1970.

I guess the dates of these two factoids don't correspond. Does this mean the 1970's was a fantastical blip, a golden decade of opportunity for housing, and what we have now is back to the norm of 1956 et al? I mean how many weeks did the average worker have to work in 1970 to earn the price of 100 square feet of housing?

By my count, he is one of two libertarian politicians in the UK.

Shame about 'The Plan' being given lip service and nothing more by the government.

I wrote to him in 2008 about lax lending and ridiculous house price inflation. His reply that was to limit lending in anyway would, his words, limit people's economic freedoms.

He is an ar*e like all the rest. His reference that the cost of housing now is cheaper than the early 1900's is scant relief to his consituents who occupy one of the most deprived regions of the country.

I wrote to him in 2008 about lax lending and ridiculous house price inflation. His reply that was to limit lending in anyway would, his words, limit people's economic freedoms.

He is an ar*e like all the rest. His reference that the cost of housing now is cheaper than the early 1900's is scant relief to his consituents who occupy one of the most deprived regions of the country.

Well I would give him the benefit of the doubt and argue that a true libertarian would be cool with being against government intervention in lending, and equally cool about the bank and individual getting wiped out afterwards.

But yes, the other bit does sound daft.