House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Sucker Written On My Forehead

Is the word sucker written on my forehead or something?

I skydive..... I am an A cert.

On jump numbers and ratings (for those of you who care, CH1/2 Jm1, FS1, IS1) I should be a C cert. (I jump in all sorts of dodgy countries where the jump tickets are very very cheap because life is very cheap would you go on a £5 Russian helicopter ride? B) ). One thing is holding me back... the lack of a packing certificate...which is needed for your B cert. You need to get your B before you get your C. C certs can do more things and have less restrictions.

9 months ago I couldn't pack for toffee. I am considerably better these days. So much so my pack jobs are not checked, they are given a check tag and the packer claims the £5 repack fee for himself....

I'm constantly told pack some more and we'll sign you off.....half a ton of pack jobs later its still pack a few more and we'll sign you off.

They never do and I've been saying to myself today is the day I'll get signed off..... I am even promised to be signed off two weeks ago which was reneged upon. Essentially I'm doing HIS job and he is getting paid for it.

My line of thought is this:

I am definitively good enough the mere fact that they allow people to jump my pack jobs and everybody has come back alive uninjured is testament to this. I'm still alive...No reserve canopies have had to be used either. If I was crap then they wouldn't let people jump them and there would be a lot of dead people on the DZ.

A lot of people are calling me a sucker. And tbh I started thinking this a few months ago, but I always felt the next time I do it I'll get signed off. Sunday was the last straw, I did three perfect pack jobs, and was told I was signed off. Went to say hello yesterday and they reneged on it yet again.

So how exactly do I deal with this, a lot of people say go off to another DZ... but this means starting the packing from scratch since they don't know me and the next DZ is a 220mile round trip and besides this I like this DZ for a number of reasons.

Some have suggested talking to the owner about this and being treated unfairly...... but how do I raise the issue?

Its a Chinese thing, i.e. Chinese people don't like conflict and the genes are saying walk away go else where. But as said driving 220 miles annoys me (and costs lots of petrol) greatly and I like this DZ for reasons other than the packing issue.

Note on the food chain the packers are the bottom of the totem pole and paying customer (me) is somewhere in the middle.

Your thoughts please.

Take a week or two off, if they ask why when you come back tell them that as you're being treated as an unpaid labourer you saw no point in notifying them about your holiday plans.

Definately think you're being taken for a mug. Only been skydiving once but got talking to a few of them - the way it worked at the site i went to in nottingham - packers get paid ~£5 per pack. Didn't see anyone checking it - it was the younger people packing to be able to afford to do jumps from what i could make out.

What you're saying is that someone is getting you to pack as 'practice' for the certification, but then passing on the packed bags and claiming the packing fee themselves? If it's the owner, doubt you're getting anywhere. If it's an.other employee, sounds like he needs a slap.

Or suggest that you'll tell the paying clients that an uncertified packer did their chute, or that you either want the certification or you want paying for the packing that he doesn't check?

Tell him you've packed a random one with laundry and unless you get your certification he'll have to repack 'em all to find out which one it is :)

Out of interest, how long does it take to pack a canopy?

Although I like Spot's idea*

*don't pack it with laundry.

Out of interest, how long does it take to pack a canopy?

Although I like Spot's idea*

*don't pack it with laundry.

Depends, Bob in Spain can pack a canopy in 6 minutes. It takes me 15-20 minutes a pop.

In the few hours since I posted this I've simply decided to have a chat with the DZ owner and see what he thinks of the situation. As I've some pretty damning evidence that I'm being rooked. Meh looks like I may make even more enemies in skydiving. But once I get this signed off I can hang around in the other building instead and not have to even see them. :)

In the few hours since I posted this I've simply decided to have a chat with the DZ owner and see what he thinks of the situation. As I've some pretty damning evidence that I'm being rooked. Meh looks like I may make even more enemies in skydiving. But once I get this signed off I can hang around in the other building instead and not have to even see them. :)

Good on you.

Just repack your own canopies.

I quite like meat and a little cheese on some sort of puff pastry.

Just pack your own canopy and stop being a mug for them. You are clearly being taken advantage of and it seems the only way you can stop this is by stopping packing the chutes.

I would just keep a close eye on my own chute at all times once you make it obvious that you are an unhappy bunny. :blink:

p.s

You can't hide being a theoretical canibal by changing your nickname.

I dont get it, I used to pack my own chute and pack chutes for civvys jumping at weekends.

Things were probably different then though.

I would grab the bull by the horns, pull the boss to one side and ask what the problem is. Get your balls out and tell him that your chutes are perfect and you are being abused.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Offer to pack one for him.

I dont get it, I used to pack my own chute and pack chutes for civvys jumping at weekends.

Things were probably different then though.

I would grab the bull by the horns, pull the boss to one side and ask what the problem is. Get your balls out and tell him that your chutes are perfect and you are being abused.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Offer to pack one for him.

Theres two ways to get signed off. One is that you get a logbook endorsement which allows you to pack your own kit and ONLY your own kit. I have this. This does not satisfy the BPA rule of a packing cert which means it isn't a route to a B cert and thus a route to C cert either. My own kit is damaged and in repair btw.

As said I'm going to confront the DZO (the boss) about this as tbh I think the boss is in the dark about this as its not him profiting off me its the other packers.

Theres two ways to get signed off. One is that you get a logbook endorsement which allows you to pack your own kit and ONLY your own kit. I have this. This does not satisfy the BPA rule of a packing cert which means it isn't a route to a B cert and thus a route to C cert either. My own kit is damaged and in repair btw.

As said I'm going to confront the DZO (the boss) about this as tbh I think the boss is in the dark about this as its not him profiting off me its the other packers.

So what happened, then?