House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Car Tyre Issues

My car tyres have a habit of deflating.

They are low profile. I thought someone said to me that there can be some issues with the rims that make the seal bad. But when I talk to the wheelie man he says the rims are fine.

So what causes them to deflate ? It is annoying since when they deflate they can explode and I'm fed up of this and having to pump them up on a regular basis.

Does anyone have a magic solution to deflation issues ?

How often do you need to pump ? Am I being unreasonable expecting to only pump once every 6 months or so ?

Check the valves. There's no reason why they should deflate just because they are low profile and it's very unlikely you would have 4 very slow punctures. But you might have a set of leaky valves.

Check the valves. There's no reason why they should deflate just because they are low profile and it's very unlikely you would have 4 very slow punctures. But you might have a set of leaky valves.

when they replace the tyres do they replace the valves as well ?

My car tyres have a habit of deflating.

They are low profile. I thought someone said to me that there can be some issues with the rims that make the seal bad. But when I talk to the wheelie man he says the rims are fine.

So what causes them to deflate ? It is annoying since when they deflate they can explode and I'm fed up of this and having to pump them up on a regular basis.

How often do you need to pump ? Am I being unreasonable expecting to only pump once every 6 months or so ?

How low profile? Is it a sports car or just a 'warm hatch' type normal car with alloys? How much are they going down by? How many miles do you do?

You should really check once a month at least. I do more or less and usually notice a 1 psi drop over that time. Remember to do it when the tyres are cold - i.e. not after a cross-country motorway run.

Tyres go down, there is no magic solution unless you want run with solid wheels. That might be a bit uncomfortable though.

when they replace the tyres do they replace the valves as well ?

Are they split rims, if so check the bolts/hex screws and joint with soapy water.

I've got tyres that go down too! I think I might take it to Kwik-Fit, and have them looked at! :blink:

I had a deflating tyre problem. Thought slow puncture then leaky valve. But they tyre guy couldn't find the leak or problem. He said sometimes a pothole can cause the rim to shift and lose pressure that way. My problem mysteriously vanished.

Do you regularly drive over bumps ot sharp edged holes? Just a thought.

Are they alloy wheels, and if so, how old are they?

Alloy wheels have a number of problems. Not least is the fact, that as they age, the metal becomes permeable to air, and air in the tyres can permeate intact, but old, metal causing slow deflation. Alloy wheels are also less strong than steel wheels, and tend to chip and crack - high stress areas like the rims, can therefore accumulate small amounts of damage that can prevent the tyre from sealing.

Alloy wheels are also heavier, degrading the ride and handling of the car and increasing fuel consumption, as well as being substantially more expensive than steel. However, consumers will pay considerable money for an alloy wheel 'upgrade' making them one of the higher profit components on a car.

Get yourself a tin of Holts Tyre Weld.

Ignore the instructions on the tin, half deflate your tyres, spray a small amount of Holts into your tyres (which will inflate your tyres air pressure a bit), and then fill up to proper level with air. After this make sure you are running the car for a good 30 minutes to allow the Holts to work. The Holts tyre weld will find all the tiny little air pockets compromising the seal of your tyres and turn to a thick foam material, thus plugging all the micro gaps.

try soapy water over the valves and around the rims to try and find the leak (after pumping them up).

If not, maybe the rims are slightly buckled hence don't get a perfect fit?

Are they alloy wheels, and if so, how old are they?

Alloy wheels have a number of problems. Not least is the fact, that as they age, the metal becomes permeable to air, and air in the tyres can permeate intact, but old, metal causing slow deflation. Alloy wheels are also less strong than steel wheels, and tend to chip and crack - high stress areas like the rims, can therefore accumulate small amounts of damage that can prevent the tyre from sealing.

Alloy wheels are also heavier, degrading the ride and handling of the car and increasing fuel consumption, as well as being substantially more expensive than steel. However, consumers will pay considerable money for an alloy wheel 'upgrade' making them one of the higher profit components on a car.

They look cool though, so on balance I think they are worth it.

I have a similar problem with one of my plimsoles :P

Get yourself a tin of Holts Tyre Weld.

Ignore the instructions on the tin, half deflate your tyres, spray a small amount of Holts into your tyres (which will inflate your tyres air pressure a bit), and then fill up to proper level with air. After this make sure you are running the car for a good 30 minutes to allow the Holts to work. The Holts tyre weld will find all the tiny little air pockets compromising the seal of your tyres and turn to a thick foam material, thus plugging all the micro gaps.

You are wise beyond your posting quota! ;)

Dull economic jokes aside, all tyres deflate. I inflate them every month, with a general loss of 3-4 psi during that time.

Last time I went to Kwik Fit with a slow puncture, they identified a faulty valve and changed it for free.

I used to have tubeless tyres, and thank god I dumped them. No end of seal issues and deflation.

I wonder if the weather can affect the issue too? Extreme cold can increase your chance of a blowout.