House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

council dweller

Tesco To Quit Japan After An Eight Year Struggle.

Their US operation, 'Fresh and Easy' (a chain of small - by US supermarket standards - boutique food shops, similar to Waitrose in Britain), appears to be in some difficulty. About a year ago they built one a few miles from my partner's parents' house in Loma Linda, CA, and quite simply never opened it. The ostensible reason given is an ongoing dispute with the city council over permitted opening hours, but the word on the street is that the chain is struggling and they're not willing to risk the operating costs of running it in the current economic climate, believing that they'd lose less money just to keep the place mothballed.

Their US operation, 'Fresh and Easy' (a chain of small - by US supermarket standards - boutique food shops, similar to Waitrose in Britain), appears to be in some difficulty. About a year ago they built one a few miles from my partner's parents' house in Loma Linda, CA, and quite simply never opened it. The ostensible reason given is an ongoing dispute with the city council over permitted opening hours, but the word on the street is that the chain is struggling and they're not willing to risk the operating costs of running it in the current economic climate, believing that they'd lose less money just to keep the place mothballed.

Fairly typical of Tesco's belligerent attitude to wards the communities they operate in. They are often in dispute with local authorities over delivery times. I mean how ridiculous of the council to try and put a prohibition on HGV deliveries between 11pm and 6am in the middle of a residential community. :rolleyes:

Edit: This story emphases Tescos complete inability to work within the confines of local condition.

Here is the site in question.

The ostensible reason why the place never opened has nothing to do with Tesco's corporate greed (if you define that as being to seek an unreasonably large profit margin on your business operation). Around three quarters of the inhabitants of the town in question belong to a Christian denomination, Seventh-Day Adventism, which has Saturday rather than Sunday as its day of worship. The council, therefore, attempted to impose a restriction preventing the supermarket from opening on Saturdays. Tesco (or more accurately, their subsidiary) replied that this restriction would make the place unviable, and therefore they mothballed it before it had ever opened. According to my other half's parents, no-one locally believes this to be the actual reason, because Tesco knew full well about the demographic of Loma Linda before they started building and had factored the sabbath issue in (i.e. that they'd get fewer customers than normal). They had already made a concession to the council by agreeing not to sell meat, alcohol or caffeine from that location (the SDA church promotes veganism, teetotalism and not drinking caffeine). The actual reason is classic overexpansion too quickly, combined with the recession squeezing high-end supermarkets (e.g. Waitrose or M & S in Britain, or Gelson's and Whole Foods Market in the US) as people abandon them for Target and Wal-Mart.

Here is the site in question.

The ostensible reason why the place never opened has nothing to do with Tesco's corporate greed (if you define that as being to seek an unreasonably large profit margin on your business operation). Around three quarters of the inhabitants of the town in question belong to a Christian denomination, Seventh-Day Adventism, which has Saturday rather than Sunday as its day of worship. The council, therefore, attempted to impose a restriction preventing the supermarket from opening on Saturdays. Tesco (or more accurately, their subsidiary) replied that this restriction would make the place unviable, and therefore they mothballed it before it had ever opened. According to my other half's parents, no-one locally believes this to be the actual reason, because Tesco knew full well about the demographic of Loma Linda before they started building and had factored the sabbath issue in (i.e. that they'd get fewer customers than normal). They had already made a concession to the council by agreeing not to sell meat, alcohol or caffeine from that location (the SDA church promotes veganism, teetotalism and not drinking caffeine). The actual reason is classic overexpansion too quickly, combined with the recession squeezing high-end supermarkets (e.g. Waitrose or M & S in Britain, or Gelson's and Whole Foods Market in the US) as people abandon them for Target and Wal-Mart.

Fair enough in that situation but my point still stands about them riding roughshod over local considerations.

I remember when they bought 3 small shops in the middle of a residential community not far from where I lived. I also worked for the local authority at the time. Despite all their promises and agreements shortly after opening delivery vehicles would arrive in the middle of the night. A restriction was put on night deliveries between 11pm and 6am which they appealed and lost. So out of spite Im sure they had Lorries parking up at 4am in residential areas with refrigeration going full blast waiting until they could unload at 6am. This went on until the traffic commissioners / EH served a few notices on vehicles.

Im sure it was spite because the lorries could have waited in a free lorry park on the other side of town. Furthermore Tesco's didn't modify their behaviour until forced deeming it entirely acceptable to park their lorries outside peoples houses at 4am night after night. Complete lack of any consideration. From experience I am certain they recruit managers who have to be sociopathic.

Fair enough in that situation but my point still stands about them riding roughshod over local considerations.

I remember when they bought 3 small shops in the middle of a residential community not far from where I lived. I also worked for the local authority at the time. Despite all their promises and agreements shortly after opening delivery vehicles would arrive in the middle of the night. A restriction was put on night deliveries between 11pm and 6am which they appealed and lost. So out of spite Im sure they had Lorries parking up at 4am in residential areas with refrigeration going full blast waiting until they could unload at 6am. This went on until the traffic commissioners / EH served a few notices on vehicles.

Im sure it was spite because the lorries could have waited in a free lorry park on the other side of town. Furthermore Tesco's didn't modify their behaviour until forced deeming it entirely acceptable to park their lorries outside peoples houses at 4am night after night. Complete lack of any consideration. From experience I am certain they recruit managers who have to be sociopathic.

Night time deliveries are much both much safer and more environmentally friendly - the moaners shouldn't have bought a house next to a shop.

Night time deliveries are much both much safer and more environmentally friendly - the moaners shouldn't have bought a house next to a shop.

For starters there was no history of deliveries in the middle of the night. The shops were built to take advantage of their proximity to a large estate of housing and thus captive market. In this case the supermarket wanted to take the cake and eat it.

A basic tenant of english law is that anyone has the right to peacefully enjoy the use of their property. In this particular case the Judge agreed and they do in most other cases where the nuisance is serious and other options are available to said retailer.

Great to see the law for once working in the favour of ordinary people and not large corporations. :D

Great to see the law for once working in the favour of ordinary people and not large corporations. :D

BS, the council etc forced Tesco to do this not for the good of the residents. Its because they want fat envelopes stuffed with cash before they will see it from the view of Tesco. As it has always been.

Everything boils down to brown envelopes and suitcases filled with cash.... such 'donations' appear to have a completely coincidental tendency to make things happen.

The UK is a country of Baksheesh has always been and always will be.

The news agent where I used to live for example turned into an India mini mart which sold knock off vodka to children. Residents complained, nothing happened, residents complained. Nothing happened. Then 'gifts' were given to councilors and police from other shops. At which a no alcohol drinking area sign was put up.

You want something changed? Show me the money baby..... nothing else other than a violent insurrection will change.

That old Tesco you lived near they've probably paid massive bribes to the local council (ever notice how councilors have great cars and houses?) and therefore they will be 'ever vigilant' to Tesco's misdemeanors

BS, the council etc forced Tesco to do this not for the good of the residents. Its because they want fat envelopes stuffed with cash before they will see it from the view of Tesco. As it has always been.

Everything boils down to brown envelopes and suitcases filled with cash.... such 'donations' appear to have a completely coincidental tendency to make things happen.

The UK is a country of Baksheesh has always been and always will be.

The news agent where I used to live for example turned into an India mini mart which sold knock off vodka to children. Residents complained, nothing happened, residents complained. Nothing happened. Then 'gifts' were given to councilors and police from other shops. At which a no alcohol drinking area sign was put up.

You want something changed? Show me the money baby..... nothing else other than a violent insurrection will change.

That old Tesco you lived near they've probably paid massive bribes to the local council (ever notice how councilors have great cars and houses?) and therefore they will be 'ever vigilant' to Tesco's misdemeanors

Spouting your usual fevered BS Ken? :lol: Im sure HK, China, and Taiwan are sooo much more transparent and fair with their citizens.... :blink:

For the record noise nuisance issues are a completely delegated function. Actions are taken under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and have no involvement from Councillors. Likewise with the actions taken by the Traffic Commissioners.

Spouting your usual fevered BS Ken? :lol: Im sure HK, China, and Taiwan are sooo much more transparent and fair with their citizens.... :blink:

Why is this relevant? All you're doing is distracting from the way the UK is so utterly corrupt. I know HK/China and taiwan are corrupt. the difference is that they don't pretend that they are not. I'm sure you think Blair got his jobs by sending in his CV to those banks right? If you do I happen to have some magic beans. They cost 10toz of gold each but will make you a fortune ;)

For the record noise nuisance issues are a completely delegated function. Actions are taken under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and have no involvement from Councillors. Likewise with the actions taken by the Traffic Commissioners.

All that matters is who the brown envelopes go to. If there are brown envelopes stuffed with cash which there are then its corruption pure and simple. I.e. Tesco will just shove a few brown envelopes towards the traffic commissioners instead......

Why is this relevant? All you're doing is distracting from the way the UK is so utterly corrupt. I know HK/China and taiwan are corrupt. the difference is that they don't pretend that they are not. I'm sure you think Blair got his jobs by sending in his CV to those banks right? If you do I happen to have some magic beans. They cost 10toz of gold each but will make you a fortune ;)

All that matters is who the brown envelopes go to. If there are brown envelopes stuffed with cash which there are then its corruption pure and simple. I.e. Tesco will just shove a few brown envelopes towards the traffic commissioners instead......

Can you back up your assertion that 'everything' is driven by bribes and corruption. I worked in Local Govt from 1991 to 2008 and never took a bribe nor did I see any evidence of this elsewhere. I guy I knew from the Environment Agency told me he was once offered the opportunity to have his mortgage paid off by a big developer but he declined. A colleague was also offered a bung by the owner of a knackers yard - and declined too.

In regard to the shop in question noise abatement notices were served. Tescos appealed, the magistrates upheld the notice, Tescos appealed, crown Court judge upheld the notice. Sorry Ken but I see no evidence of corruption here. Local officials interpreting the law, in this case nuisance law and Magistrates and Judges considering the merits of each parties case and determining judgment based on law / case law.

Im sure corruption happens from time to time but your suggestion of everything drivien by corruption is just HPC fantasy drivel :rolleyes:

Can you back up your assertion that 'everything' is driven by bribes and corruption. I worked in Local Govt from 1991 to 2008 and never took a bribe nor did I see any evidence of this elsewhere. I guy I knew from the Environment Agency told me he was once offered the opportunity to have his mortgage paid off by a big developer but he declined. A colleague was also offered a bung by the owner of a knackers yard - and declined too.

Through official channels they declined it leaves a paper trail and can be discovered by an audit. And when it is discovered by an audit you start having to bribe the auditors as well. Instead they got an untraceable brown envelope instead. Remember when I was washing dishes in a restaurant. I was privy to many things there. Like when they complained to the councilors about chavs constantly banging on the windows.

Nothing happened, eventually the owners resorted to outright bribery. At which the councilor refused to accept it, but instead gave an alternative address for this 'donation' to be made to. So on paper he didn't get anything but his mum's house happened to have a lot of free gifts sent to her in the form of brown envelopes.

Three living places ago one bloke was utterly and totally denied planning permission, they even got a bus load of people to come and have a look. In doing so he went round and gave everybody a small 'boxed cake'.... all of a sudden planning permission granted!

A school nearby. In the charter of this school the land was only to be used as a school and it was not allowed to be used for anything other than a school. When developers offered big suitcases of money 'we'll donate a new sports wing to the school (and brown envelopes', the charter didn't matter...

A fast food place I worked in, during the 1990s. A cop came in and asked for a discount in exchange for 'more patrols' when asked how much this discount was it was 100%. Not brown envelopes but similar.

China town, Manchester, home of some extremely dirty restaurants (one of my acquaintances was featured on Britains dirtiest kitchens). The health inspector would come round and collect his monthly brown envelope in exchange for not closing the place down. This practice stopped when my acquaintance's shop got on the TV. Environmental health were left rather red faced when they had given radioactive glowing reports on how clean the place was.

Another restaurant outside Manchester which was in the news. They had a very bad period and thus couldn't pay the bribe to environmental health, the place was filthy. Funny enough a few weeks later they got a massive fine and were forced to close because it was filthy but more so because they couldn't pay the bribe one week.

Tons of MOT test stations, your car can be a total write off cut n shut. But if you give them a bit more wink wink they'll pass it without actually testing it.

Endless examples..... if you want anything done in the UK you've got to grease the wheels.... like Bombardier vs Siemens. Bribes were paid. Hell even BAE systems paid bribes to Saudis to buy their crappy stuff.

crown Court judge upheld the notice. Sorry Ken but I see no evidence of corruption here. Local officials interpreting the law, in this case nuisance law and Magistrates and Judges considering the merits of each parties case and determining judgment based on law / case law.

Im sure corruption happens from time to time but your suggestion of everything drivien by corruption is just HPC fantasy drivel :rolleyes:

Sure they'll appeal again after giving a few brown envelopes and oh look verdict overturned.......

Of course this is complete coincidence oh and ignore the new sports car in the court parking lot eh? Just coincidence....he won a lot on.....erm the ponies thats it! I bet you reckon Blunket putting ID cards to a company he had an interest in wasn't corruption either.

Through official channels they declined it leaves a paper trail and can be discovered by an audit. And when it is discovered by an audit you start having to bribe the auditors as well. Instead they got an untraceable brown envelope instead. Remember when I was washing dishes in a restaurant. I was privy to many things there. Like when they complained to the councilors about chavs constantly banging on the windows.

Nothing happened, eventually the owners resorted to outright bribery. At which the councilor refused to accept it, but instead gave an alternative address for this 'donation' to be made to. So on paper he didn't get anything but his mum's house happened to have a lot of free gifts sent to her in the form of brown envelopes.

Three living places ago one bloke was utterly and totally denied planning permission, they even got a bus load of people to come and have a look. In doing so he went round and gave everybody a small 'boxed cake'.... all of a sudden planning permission granted!

A school nearby. In the charter of this school the land was only to be used as a school and it was not allowed to be used for anything other than a school. When developers offered big suitcases of money 'we'll donate a new sports wing to the school (and brown envelopes', the charter didn't matter...

A fast food place I worked in, during the 1990s. A cop came in and asked for a discount in exchange for 'more patrols' when asked how much this discount was it was 100%. Not brown envelopes but similar.

China town, Manchester, home of some extremely dirty restaurants (one of my acquaintances was featured on Britains dirtiest kitchens). The health inspector would come round and collect his monthly brown envelope in exchange for not closing the place down. This practice stopped when my acquaintance's shop got on the TV. Environmental health were left rather red faced when they had given radioactive glowing reports on how clean the place was.

Another restaurant outside Manchester which was in the news. They had a very bad period and thus couldn't pay the bribe to environmental health, the place was filthy. Funny enough a few weeks later they got a massive fine and were forced to close because it was filthy but more so because they couldn't pay the bribe one week.

Tons of MOT test stations, your car can be a total write off cut n shut. But if you give them a bit more wink wink they'll pass it without actually testing it.

Endless examples..... if you want anything done in the UK you've got to grease the wheels.... like Bombardier vs Siemens. Bribes were paid. Hell even BAE systems paid bribes to Saudis to buy their crappy stuff.

Sure they'll appeal again after giving a few brown envelopes and oh look verdict overturned.......

Of course this is complete coincidence oh and ignore the new sports car in the court parking lot eh? Just coincidence....he won a lot on.....erm the ponies thats it! I bet you reckon Blunket putting ID cards to a company he had an interest in wasn't corruption either.

You mean the crappy stuff that doesn't fall out of the sky like the other stuff supplied to them? ;)

Well the Crown Court case was 2002 and no appeal to date. Tescos seems to have settled for restricted delivery times.

Your delusions are getting out of hand Ken. I anm fairly confident the local residents backing onto the shops delivery yard didn't club together to buy the Judge a Sports car to sway the case against Tesco's........