House Price Crash Forum

"a Bank To Fail Within 12 Months"

Darkman

HOLA441

Sorry no link, I just caught some of this on LBC this morning. The guest on the show talked about a rumour now doing the rounds about a UK bank being "allowed to fail within 12 months". And that the purpose was to show the remaining banks they must get in line for real this time.

All a bit vague I know, but did anyone else hear the show? It's a sign of times you can hear such things on morning radio these days. And I don't think it's a far fetched rumour either.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Sorry no link, I just caught some of this on LBC this morning. The guest on the show talked about a rumour now doing the rounds about a UK bank being "allowed to fail within 12 months". And that the purpose was to show the remaining banks they must get in line for real this time.

All a bit vague I know, but did anyone else hear the show? It's a sign of times you can hear such things on morning radio these days. And I don't think it's a far fetched rumour either.

I pray it is the Bank of England.

HOLA443

The Embankment?

Well, it can only be Lloyds or RBS.

Can the Govt allow either to fail due to the huge sums already used to bail them out. RBS is also a political hot potato re it is mainly based in Scotland.

I suspect these are only rumours as rumours about a bank being allowed to fail and an ACTUAL NAMED bank being rumoured to be let fail is something else. For example, if RBS was the subject of the rumours its share price would be even less than it is now.

:blink:

HOLA444

there are only 5 big banks left, after mergers etc

Barclays, HSBC - I'd a thought they were well capitalised

Lloyds-HBOS, RBS - I get a sick feeling every time HBOS come out with a bullish property foprecast these last 6 months, what are they playing at?

then the big building societies - Nationwide, and the Yorkshire, the latter which is expanding at a high rate, buying up flailing com[petitors and usiong the account balances to push hard (apparently) into BTL lending

So i make Lloyds-HBOS and YBS prime contenders for stupid prize of the year - you'd have thought they all would have learned after B&B went down...

HOLA445
HOLA446

Pfff, was it Robert Peston? Probably someone making up news, like the Arch Fibber, Mr Peston.

I really don't like Robert Peston.

Seriously though, why 12 months? What will change between now and then? I thought they were already screwed? A bit more screwed? house prices to actually crash? not getting the QE they wanted?

HOLA447
HOLA448

And why not allow it to fail... today... that will teach it...

You can only allow it to fail IF the financial circumstances are such that it is actually failing... Politicians can't see into the future? Can they? :blink:

It's a fair bet that any or all of the banks that the government 'decided' to take a stake in would fold in short order if support was withdrawn.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Is this related to the inevitable greek default and it's knock on effects?

If it's Llodys / RBS will they then broken up into little banks with the deposits?

Who's going to take the losses?

Plus we can all remember what happened when Lehman failed the markets shat themselves. Seems a strange rumour to be doing the rounds I expect zombie banks not failing ones.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You're more likely to hear about the failure of the 'sperm bank' in the next 12 months than the failure of any UK retail or investment bank.

BF

MAGGOTS 'n Apples :P

illegal

Negative

Edited by erranta

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Can the Govt allow either to fail due to the huge sums already used to bail them out. RBS is also a political hot potato re it is mainly based in Scotland.

I would say that ditching RBS is a very attractive option. The Tories have nothing to lose politically north of the border, and the LDs very little. Letting RBS crash would be very popular if it could be arranged for Goodwin's pension to go with it. Furthermore, it would neuter Salmond by undermining his claims that the rest of the UK is a millstone around Scotland's neck and that they'd be better going it alone, by showing that if you remove subsidies from UK PLC, his country can't even run a bank. For Salmond to counter-claim that it was an act of spite by Cameron (even if true) would just make him look even more silly.

HOLA4422

I would say that ditching RBS is a very attractive option. The Tories have nothing to lose politically north of the border, and the LDs very little. Letting RBS crash would be very popular if it could be arranged for Goodwin's pension to go with it. Furthermore, it would neuter Salmond by undermining his claims that the rest of the UK is a millstone around Scotland's neck and that they'd be better going it alone, by showing that if you remove subsidies from UK PLC, his country can't even run a bank. For Salmond to counter-claim that it was an act of spite by Cameron (even if true) would just make him look even more silly.

Seems way too daring and decisive for Cameron. He would rather be seen to be doing something, but not actually doing anything. Besides, at every opportunity, he has been super-supportive of the union.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

was that a leak you heard about?

Burying stuff in back of land - environ-mental pollution of "water course" = 10,000's ££ to clear up

Illegal contraband buying and selling - followed, phones 'tapped' and tracked for evermore

Tax and rates avoidance - letting out/running illegal campsite

Red Fuel excise avoidance/abuse

etc

Sub Rosa 'n all that :D

Edited by erranta

HOLA4425