Ftse 100 Back Above 5300

HOLA441
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Killer does that mean you think 5600 (which you thought was a possibility last week), is now off the cards, i.e. we've run out of steam (after briefly breaching 5400)?

It's looking a bit like that especially with what might be in store today & tomorrow.

We got close wouldn;t you agree? Especially as everyone was negative at the time I wrote it.

We're now at a juncture.

S&P could go back to 1180 then rise to 1260 which would give us 5600 ish or just go straight there.

If 1180 then continues down then 1120/5200 here we come 1st stop.

60% 1180 then 1260.

20% 1260

20% 1120

Intermediate, sub 1000 this year / 4500 or less

HOLA444

In many cases even if the Dividend was cut 25% the yield is still good. Take a look at the following for example at current prices;

BAE - 6.7%

Morgan Sindall - 7%

GSK - 5.3%

Marstons - 6.1%

Div useless as based on expectations. Er...

Also, 7%: what if cut, what if stock falls 30% - 4 yrs divs gone.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Div useless as based on expectations. Er...

Also, 7%: what if cut, what if stock falls 30% - 4 yrs divs gone.

Which is why I only buy in market slumps which protects you to a certain degree from this effect- see my post RE Mcbride shares. 18% share growth over 3-5 year period with approx 6% a year in dividends.

Nothing spectacular but a dam sight better than cash in the bank B)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I find it's the days you don't worry about that you need to worry about.

Every one is worrying about Sept/Oct from a financial perspective but this year we have the added issue of the 10th anniversary.

It is not just the 10th we have to worry about but the weeks before and after... I suppose we are about to find out just how weakened Al Qaeda are.

I just don't think anyone who is investing in stocks at the moment can ignore the possibility of some terror event around this anniversary.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
So far, officials told ABC News they have no specific intelligence of any anniversary plot. There is zero intelligence of such a plot, and none of the "chatter" that has often been prior to major attacks, according to a person briefed on U.S. Intelligence.

But based on the exhortations by Osama bin Laden that Al Qaeda and its associates across the globe strike America on the anniversary, the security cordon around the anniversary event in New York and no less than three expected presidential visits is extremely tight.

Feds, Cops Ramp Up Ahead of 9/11 Anniversary

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/feds-cops-ramp-ahead-911-anniversary/story?id=14429867

HOLA4413

Buy (in the dips) and hold, buy and hold.

See my post RE: Mcbride shares.

Buy and hold, CP averaging etc only work if there is a general upward trend. Recent (last few years) events have shown that equity trends depend on credit supply. In days of effective ZIRP the only thing that can drive equities up over the long term is QE - or genuine sustained economic growth of course but I think I can safely ignore that possibility as beign too remote ;)

HOLA4414

Buy and hold, CP averaging etc only work if there is a general upward trend. Recent (last few years) events have shown that equity trends depend on credit supply. In days of effective ZIRP the only thing that can drive equities up over the long term is QE - or genuine sustained economic growth of course but I think I can safely ignore that possibility as beign too remote ;)

Well so far its a strategy given me moderate growth over the past 5 years plus a healthy dividend flow. ok I should have gone gold in 2007 but didnt....

I have about £4500 a month surplus income - what alternatives do you suggest to defensive stocks and where I have some hope of keeping pace with inflation?

HOLA4415

Well so far its a strategy given me moderate growth over the past 5 years plus a healthy dividend flow. ok I should have gone gold in 2007 but didnt....

I have about £4500 a month surplus income - what alternatives do you suggest to defensive stocks and where I have some hope of keeping pace with inflation?

I'll look after it for ya :P

HOLA4416

yes,yes.

see my post re bt,ba,barc,lloy,rbs,marconi etc etc.

Yes but those firms all have problems of their own making. BT - huge debt pile, Barclays, RBS, Lloyds - banksters / bad debt, Marconi - catastrophic business decision - ie sell off crown jewels.

In contrast Mcbride manufacture washing powder, personal care, and household products, manfacture and sell in several countries. Dull I know but a fairly stable demand base ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420