House Price Crash Forum
tulipz

Underpinned House - Buy Or Not?

Dear all,

We saw this lovely property. Our offer is close to being accepted and the estate agent came up with this in the last minute. The house has been underpinned in 1980...would you buy an underpinned property? Re-salability is important to us since we plan to return to our home country sometime... are underpinned properties difficult to sell? please please please pour in your thoughts...

-Tulipz

I wouldn't. Have you had a full structural survey done? Told the mortgage company about the problem?

If you do don't be surprised to see the approval pulled. Mortgage companies like to be sure the asset they are lending on is saleable in future.

The house has been underpinned in 1980...would you buy an underpinned property?

God no, no matter how good the job you will be screwed every year when trying to get building insurance.

There is still a stigma surrounding properties that have been underpinned, which can make them harder to sell.

Sepite the fact that in many cases the foundations are far better than an equiliviant property that hasn't been underpinned.

As for the insurance side of things, assuming the current owners have buildings insurance, the existing insurer have a legal obligation to continue offering insurance to a new owner.

Thanks for the inputs everyone. I have some more detail to this now. The entire property was not underpinned. They had some extension work done and this underpinning thing was due to a tree or something and it only effected the extended part. Not sure if that makes any difference...would most of you still stay away from this property?

I am in a similar, if slightly further advanced situation. I bought a property that is partially underpinned - however this was not discovered by my Homebuyers survey, even though I have since discovered all you need to do is ring the Building Control dept at your local Council. More and more houses are being underpinned and whereas once it was a real "no go", there are huge amounts of housing stock that have had the work done - especially in the south. You need to ask:

what was the original problem, and could this issue return? Underpinning from a leaky victorian drain is very different from poor foundation design etc

was the work done correctly with the correct Building Control approvals etc?

has there been any sign of movement since (1980 was a LONG time ago)?

can you live with slightly inflated building insurance costs?

In some areas of the south, you will struggle to sell your property if it HASN'T been underpinned, as insurance companies know it will need it in the near future...

Dear all,

We saw this lovely property. Our offer is close to being accepted and the estate agent came up with this in the last minute. The house has been underpinned in 1980...would you buy an underpinned property? Re-salability is important to us since we plan to return to our home country sometime... are underpinned properties difficult to sell? please please please pour in your thoughts...

-Tulipz

Phone up some insurance companies, tell them you are planning to move in, and ask for a quote. Tell them it has been underpinned and see what response you get.