House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

I Was Going To Buy A New Tv Today!

Went to Richer Sounds looking for a 22" model to replace the CRT in my bedroom and thought i'd done all the research on-line that I needed.

Turns out they are all sh1te - tinnie sound, horrid picture quality. They can keep their progress, I'll keep hold of my 25year old.

Another moan - I went digital (Radio) a few months back and got myself a lovely Denon micro system, is it just me or does DAB+ sound rubbish (something to do with the compression maybe?), thankfully FM functionality is still present :D

Another moan - I went digital (Radio) a few months back and got myself a lovely Denon micro system, is it just me or does DAB+ sound rubbish (something to do with the compression maybe?), thankfully FM functionality is still present :D

There are no DAB+ broadcasts in the UK, it's still all MP2 on a low bitrate, which is why it sounds awful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom#Criticisms_of_DAB_in_the_UK

I'm sticking with internet radio, been using it since 1999 ;)

Why not just go for a 26"?

No pun intended: we don't want one that big in the bedroom. I rarely watch TV but the OH being a creature of habit likes one running in the background. Gone from 42" plasma to 32" LED TV in the front room.

All televisions sound horrible. They're not designed to accommodate speakers that are any good at sound reproduction. If you want a telly to sound good, take a line out and feed it to some proper speakers.

DAB sound quality is dependent on bitrate and I'm not sure what it is for the various channels. Probably ranges from rubbish to worse.

We've got a 1080p projector in the living room instead of a telly. It's a 60'' screen and when it's off there's no giant black monolith taking up the entire room. It's the way forward.

There are no DAB+ broadcasts in the UK, it's still all MP2 on a low bitrate, which is why it sounds awful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom#Criticisms_of_DAB_in_the_UK

Thanks Joe, explains everything :)

iPlayer never seems to stop buffering, can you recommend a site please (preferably one with foreign broadcasts as well)? :)

All televisions sound horrible. They're not designed to accommodate speakers that are any good at sound reproduction. If you want a telly to sound good, take a line out and feed it to some proper speakers.

DAB sound quality is dependent on bitrate and I'm not sure what it is for the various channels. Probably ranges from rubbish to worse.

We've got a 1080p projector in the living room instead of a telly. It's a 60'' screen and when it's off there's no giant black monolith taking up the entire room. It's the way forward.

Looked into a projector once... if we get blackout blinds and remove the woodchip off the wall then this may be a consideration.

re. speakers, the ones in my antique don't sound all that bad - they are Dolby (if that still exists).

You don't really need blackout blinds, although it will help if you want that authentic cinema experience. Just get some local teenagers to throw popcorn at you and talk obnoxiously at the same time...

How much are replacement bulbs & how long do they last?

I think new tellies have rubbish speakers because manufacturers expect purchasers to plug them into home hifi ( does that age me?!) systems...? Just like iPods and iPhones have lousy headphones...

Was just the wrong time I guess! Somehow the DAB lobby missed the Internet! :huh:

Also good quality radio transmissions are available on DVB for anyone with a set top box, and a good amplifier.

Last year bought a new small flat screen, the sound quality was terrible all tinny, I couldn't bear listening to it...went back to my old black box portable and fitted a freeview box on it...good as gold, great picture, great sound, great quality all round..... :)

I bought a dab radio a couple of years ago, I was promised no interference perfect sound quality and hundreds of stations. Well I could only receive about 8 stations and the interference was ridiculous. Everything sounds bubbly and it took me ages trying to position the think so I could actually hear anything! It reminded me of trying to position the aerial on top of my old black and White tv when I was little. And it only worked if someone held it in a specific position. No thanks. Took it back to the shop. My iPhone has every radio station in the world on it now through the interenet so no need to buy abother one.

How much are replacement bulbs & how long do they last?

I actually don't know. Ours has lasted over a year so far with no brightness degradation. It's on about ten to fifteen hours a week. I expect a couple of hundred quid every two years or so. More expensive than running a telly; much much less expensive than buying an equivalent size telly (60'').

i got a 22" Samsung a few years ago. Sound not great but good enough.

However my other half recently got a couple of 22" LGs for her parents, and the sound is terrible.

i got a 22" Samsung a few years ago. Sound not great but good enough.

However my other half recently got a couple of 22" LGs for her parents, and the sound is terrible.

It was the LG 22" model (*227**) that caught my attention on paper. The reality is far removed from the reviews. Fine people making excuses re. woeful sound and using separate speakers but the picture quality, what do you do there... plug the video out in to a projector??

It was the LG 22" model (*227**) that caught my attention on paper. The reality is far removed from the reviews. Fine people making excuses re. woeful sound and using separate speakers but the picture quality, what do you do there... plug the video out in to a projector??

...apparently the small LG flats are classified as monitors not TVs. :huh:

Tom,

I really know jack all about TVs, but my parents bought a Sony because apparently it had much better sound than the other brands they tried. Their TV is a similar size to the ones you're looking at and it seems ok to be honest.

If you go in again, it might be worth trying a Sony just in case it makes a difference.

Glad I'm not the only sound quality afficionado B)

I got me some Beyerdynamic 990s the other week. Broken them in, and wired up to a new external soundcard on the PC. Awesome quality. :)

just get some pc speakers and plug it into that. job done.

Trouble is, when a set of reasonable speakers is about 50 quid, and the tv is only 150, something has to give...