House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinzano Bianco

Paris Commuter Belt - Anyone Got Any Advice?

I have applied for a role in La Défense (it is possible the role could be in Lyon, but for the moment, I am assuming it will be Paris only), so I am doing a bit of research on the local area, and looking for a few places to rent/ buy around 30 - 45 minutes or so away. I really don't want to live in the city, so I was looking at this pretty cool map for commutable areas out to the west of Paris. The missus is française, and would like to be nearer family, and that area would put us about 4 hours drive away.

Does anyone know any towns and villages out that way? Can anyone recommend anything? I can't find anything like upmystreet to give you some broad idea of areas, so I am just going for virtual walks on Google street view really. I would like to check out rough prices, to see if it will be realistic for us.

Merci :).

I have applied for a role in La Défense (it is possible the role could be in Lyon, but for the moment, I am assuming it will be Paris only), so I am doing a bit of research on the local area, and looking for a few places to rent/ buy around 30 - 45 minutes or so away. I really don't want to live in the city, so I was looking at this pretty cool map for commutable areas out to the west of Paris. The missus is française, and would like to be nearer family, and that area would put us about 4 hours drive away.

Does anyone know any towns and villages out that way? Can anyone recommend anything? I can't find anything like upmystreet to give you some broad idea of areas, so I am just going for virtual walks on Google street view really. I would like to check out rough prices, to see if it will be realistic for us.

Merci :).

Had friends at Plaisir.That seemed pretty decent.It is twenty years since I was there though.Could be under Shariah Law by now.

Had friends at Plaisir.That seemed pretty decent.It is twenty years since I was there though.Could be under Shariah Law by now.

Parts in the North are like that! I think you maybe OK out West! :huh:

:) Thanks.

I have been looking at Les Mureaux and Cergy to the North West, if anyone knows these? They look ok, with some pretty nice houses available, and have an RER within 30 mins of La Defense.

Stayed with a friend at a couple of different places when he lived in the Versailles area. The Western suburbs looked pretty good to me, if you can afford them (St Germain, St Nom la Breteche)

:) Thanks.

I have been looking at Les Mureaux and Cergy to the North West, if anyone knows these? They look ok, with some pretty nice houses available, and have an RER within 30 mins of La Defense.

Had French friends at Cergy-Pontoise,not sure if it's the same place,but that was ok.

Stayed with a friend at a couple of different places when he lived in the Versailles area. The Western suburbs looked pretty good to me, if you can afford them (St Germain, St Nom la Breteche)

Thanks.

I know someone in Versailles actually, and my first thought was that I wanted to be further away from Paris than there to be honest. Having had a quick browse on seloger for places in the area, including Plaisir as mention by profitofdoom, it looks as though it could be alright actually.

This (though a probably a bit small) is 2 km from a train station, and 35 mins from there to La Defense. It is still probably a little more than I would like to pay, but it gives me hope, and I would probably earn more in Paris than here.

An equivalent home doesn't really exist in the proximity of London as far as I am aware, given the size of the garden... but I would hazard a guess at it being significantly more than that.

Had French friends at Cergy-Pontoise,not sure if it's the same place,but that was ok.

Yep, looks like it is the place I was checking out. Thanks!