House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moonriver

"house Hunting In France". New Type Of Property Show. Itv

http://www.myintroducer.com/view.asp?ID=7801

New for ITV1 Daytime : House Hunt, France

This new series set in the South West France follows the British Estate Agents, Leggett Immobilier and others who live and work out there, selling properties and the French way of life to the Brits who want to up sticks.

Daily at 3pm from Tuesday 30th August 2011

Over four programmes House Hunt in France meets a handful of British estate agents who sell the dream of the French way of life. Thousands of Brits have made the move and many more are thinking about it.

From traditional town houses to converted barns and renovation projects - the variety is endless. But these agents offer a wider service than just buying and selling properties.

They can help you settle into the community - maybe meeting the Mayor and other ex pats or going to local events. It's all in a days work.

Leggett Immobilier feature in every programme each day.

I wonder if all of these British buyers are cash rich buyers?

I should think it difficult and/or expensive to get a Euro mortgage now?

Will these British buyers aided by these British estate agents, (and this show) push up prices in France?

Why aren't the French buying these places, if they are so good?

I'd have thought even the crazy English house buyer would see the madness in buying a house on the continent right now.

The french are bringing in property taxes and with the exchange rate so low you can write off 25% of your capital if/when the euro/pound exchange rate returns to something sane.

I wonder if "Leggett Immobilier and others" will take the would-be buyers to see British expats desperate to sell. And even if they do, whether the vendors will tell the truth about why they're giving up on "their French dream".

I'd have thought even the crazy English house buyer would see the madness in buying a house on the continent right now.

The french are bringing in property taxes and with the exchange rate so low you can write off 25% of your capital if/when the euro/pound exchange rate returns to something sane.

Yes considering those points you make above...

Looks like we are going to see on this show that the crazy buyer has got a whole lot more crazier, as his cash burns a hole in his pocket,.

Yes considering those points you make above...

Looks like we are going to see on this show that the crazy buyer has got a whole lot more crazier, as his cash burns a hole in his pocket,.

If he can keep all his cash in one pocket he doesn't have much.

Too many people want the get rich quick scheme...that's usually because they are poor and stupid and that's why the likes of E.As/Bankers/Sales men can prey on them...making themselves rich at everyone else's expense.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I wonder if "Leggett Immobilier and others" will take the would-be buyers to see British expats desperate to sell. And even if they do, whether the vendors will tell the truth about why they're giving up on "their French dream".

I should imagine there are quite a few of these.

Presumably the same reason as houses near Hull are not that pricey.

Brits tend to go for old houses.

French people don't, especially if they need doing up.

My brother's French house would probably have fallen down by now (no exaggeration) if a Brit hadn't bought it.

All i want is the names of the villages and the Depts where these sales are supposed to be happening

Then i can check them up using real French Stats and Notarys end of year statements!

BTW In France no job = no health-care= deportation back to the UK (or rather you are kept out of the system but god help you if things go wrong)

France today only wants those that have skills and are hard working not a load of lazy moaning British OAPs

TBH No country in the world wants them today

Brits tend to go for old houses.

French people don't, especially if they need doing up.

My brother's French house would probably have fallen down by now (no exaggeration) if a Brit hadn't bought it.

The Brits have a reputation here for buying ruins :lol:.

French EAs always seemed surprised when I showed an interest in newish houses in good nick, past tense because although I was looking to buy in France I'm holding fire for now.

All i want is the names of the villages and the Depts where these sales are supposed to be happening

Then i can check them up using real French Stats and Notarys end of year statements!

BTW In France no job = no health-care= deportation back to the UK (or rather you are kept out of the system but god help you if things go wrong)

France today only wants those that have skills and are hard working not a load of lazy moaning British OAPs

It depends if they have money in their pockets ;).

It won't, or rather: the current exchange rate is sane (if you compare salaries and cost of living), the previous rates were insane and purely based on the unsustainable debt-based boom of the UK economy.

And in today's episode...

Our would be buyer works in banking, He likes entertaining and is looking for a second home, that is suitable for large parties for his friends from the UK. :rolleyes:

He has £455,000 to spend.

And one of the British estate agent featured today, who is helping him find his property, is Joanna Leggett of Leggetts estate agents. They are responsible for 6,000 properties throughout France we are told.

http://www.frenchestateagents.com/

This is the EA. I'm assuming that's it's a franchise system, as they have 6000 properties available.

Read some of the blurb. Vomit-inducing. Are there really people that dim !?!?!? (don't answer....:rolleyes:)

http://www.frenchestateagents.com/french-property-for-sale/view/21802EB83/house-for-sale-in-fayence-provence-cote-d-azur-provence-cote-d-azur-france

Truly beautiful and a very pretty property in the heart of hamlet surrounded by Provencal countryside. Located in an aspirational district of Fayence and St. Paul en Foret, this little gem is a find. With authentic features, garden, private parking with automated gate, modern kitchen and bathrooms, no work needs to be done. Or if you want a project there is the outbuilding begging for conversion.

The places mentioned above - aspirational? :lol:

Miles from nowhere.......

PS. Anyone interested in the French property scene, there's a thread all of its own on the HPC site ;)

Wrong. If they have a serious amount of cash, they will fit in perfectly in Monaco ;)

We can argue whether it's a real country though B)

Presumably the same reason as houses near Hull are not that pricey.

Houses in Hull are not pricey because it's a sh1thole. Houses in the middle of France are not pricey because they are too far for the French to travel too/from work. I was recently speaking to a French Estate agent about buying a BTL here and he told me if it's more than 10 minutes from the nearest town forget it, the French will not drive further to get to work. More than 10 minutes drive means less than 1hour 40 for lunch.

Nonsense. After 5 years in France you qualify for the same healthcare and social privisions as anyone who was born in France. most Brits living in France get 2 years cover for healthcare under the EU form S1 which leaves 3 years to cover from the proceeds of selling up in the UK if they are not employed or in business (which most are). In addition, British OAP's living in France get healthcover equivalent to any French citizen paid for by the UK. Talk of deportation/no healthcover is nonsense. I think you will find that the sort of people no country in the world wants are sub educated chav Brit 20 somethings.

Edited by campervanman

Nonsense. After 5 years in France you qualify for the same healthcare and social privisions as anyone who was born in France. most Brits living in France get 2 years cover for healthcare under the EU form S1 which leaves 3 years to cover from the proceeds of selling up in the UK if they are not employed or in business (which most are). In addition, British OAP's living in France get healthcover equivalent to any French citizen paid for by the UK. Talk of deportation/no healthcover is nonsense. I think you will find that the sort of people no country in the world wants are sub educated chav Brit 20 somethings.

It's quite complicated for a UK person arrving in France to understand the system, after years on the NHS ;)

This article explains it (although you might like to hire a Philladelphia lawer :) )

http://france.angloinfo.com/healthcare/health-insurance-national/retired-unemployed/

British OAP's only get the equivalent basic healthcover. I'd suggest they take out private medical insurance - like most French - rather than rely on the basic state cover. Your care/bills will be quite high otherwise.

One final comment. This cover is open only to those who do decide to move all to France. For those that keep their British residency/taxes etc and spend 2-3months per year in their holiday villa, best to take out a good travel / health insurance for the duration and use the Euro form as mentioned above ;)

It's quite complicated for a UK person arrving in France to understand the system, after years on the NHS ;)

This article explains it (although you might like to hire a Philladelphia lawer :) )

http://france.angloinfo.com/healthcare/health-insurance-national/retired-unemployed/

Your link is from Angloinfo or TBH you might as well call it Property info a Brit EA flog property to the Brits website normally in the middle of no-where

As for the so called 5 year rule :lol:

This means that you have to show with real paper-work such as French Income Tax (declared)

That you have been living in France since the 23/11/2002 before the 23/11/2007

This means that you can get French Health-care ?

What a load of rubbish :lol:

So i say hey i have been living in the middle of no where doing nothing for the last five years and the French Social Security will send me a letter that says

Dear Sir

Seeing as you have been living in France and you do not work or haven't paid a euro into the French Tax or Health-Care system

since Nov 2002

Today we are happy to say welcome to the French Social Security system

Enjoy your "dream property" in the middle of no -where!

BTW In the real world this does not happen be careful don't believe the EAs

In real France the DHSS here will check out your bank etc

Everything is means tested

The Brits have a reputation here for buying ruins :lol:.

French EAs always seemed surprised when I showed an interest in newish houses in good nick, past tense because although I was looking to buy in France I'm holding fire for now.

Strangely enough I keep bumping into old English hippies who moved here (W Wales) in the 70s now planning to move to France.

PS is there a good website for finding rural properties in France which don't need doing up! and are NOT in the middle of nowhere - PS. my other half speaks fluent French, so no probs if only in French.

Edited by gruffydd

Obtaining a carte vital in France really isn't that difficult.

Ok, it helps to speak the language or know someone who does.

You also have to deal with French bureaucracy which requires you to conduct yourself like a grown up, be courteous and be firm, hardly a big ask.

A French buddy of mine told me that these days things are about the same as Bangalore.

If a bureaucrat smells fear, French or otherwise, there is always a problem.

That said sign up as a grenouille auto entrepreneur, a language teacher with the liberal professions lot or whatever.

Allow six months for fiddling about and it's fine.

Obtaining a carte vital in France really isn't that difficult.

Ok, it helps to speak the language or know someone who does.

You also have to deal with French bureaucracy which requires you to conduct yourself like a grown up, be courteous and be firm, hardly a big ask.

A French buddy of mine told me that these days things are about the same as Bangalore.

If a bureaucrat smells fear, French or otherwise, there is always a problem.

That said sign up as a grenouille auto entrepreneur, a language teacher with the liberal professions lot or whatever.

Allow six months for fiddling about and it's fine.

Although to register as an auto entrepreneur you have to have qualifications or evidence of experience.

Although to register as an auto entrepreneur you have to have qualifications or evidence of experience.

If you want to start a business, then you do not need qualification or experience unless it is a regulated industry. I know someone that registered auto entrepreneur for a business he hopes to start. He has managed about 20 euro in sales so far. Yet it was enough to get him a carte vitale.

The easiest way is to register auto entrepreneur as a consultant. You need to do that before you can work. Once you have done that, it does not matter if you never win a single client, you are in the system.

Apart from certain restricted trades, that's absolutely not the case. You can register as, say, a cleaner and you qualify for healthcare for three years*, even if turnover is zero for that period.

(* recently changed from one year to three, not sure if it's changed again since).