House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
We’re all in this together

Bbc On Message

Top of today's lunchtime news on both BBC News 24 and Radio 5 - Britain's dysfunctional housing market. Plenty of 'experts' wheeled on, mostly from the building trade. The theme is 'affordability', the concensus is there are not enough houses, the answer is more mortgages. Not a single mention of high prices, except the word 'Prices' once on the TV ticker speeding across the bottom of the screen, hardly noticeable amongst the 'affordable, mortgage, building,' etc

Yes, as said in the other thread, the BBC have been very busy ignoring the big elephant in the room today.

However, I just heard on Five Live, a presenter say to a guest from the NHF, that the problem is because houses are too expensive now, so we need prices to come down... the guy from NHF got a bit flustered and said " well uuummm, yes we do need house prices to stabilise. ". He obviously couldn't birng himself to say "fall". :rolleyes:

I had an early morning start on a 4 hour drive. The earliest news on Radio 4 mentioned houses being too expensive. Must have been before the senior editors got in to correct the errant junior.

I had an early morning start on a 4 hour drive. The earliest news on Radio 4 mentioned houses being too expensive. Must have been before the senior editors got in to correct the errant junior.

I heard this on the Today programme, I believe both Grant Shapps and a woman from a housing federation (?) both mentioned that prices have tripled since 1997, but Evan Davies was very quick to ignore this, with questions along the lines of 'So there's not enough supply and the banks aren't lending?'

There's nothing like incisive journalism, and what you get on the BBC is nothing like incisive journalism.

Houses are too expensive for our children to buy.....the same children that could buy yesterday. ;)

Being said right now on 5 Live. 'Prices are too high'.

Being said right now on 5 Live. 'Prices are too high'.

...people living in houses where the prices are too high will never move.....people buying a too higher priced house will never move.......only the realistic will have mobility. ;)

Had to chuckle when I read this on MSE earlier today....

Ive read this morning on the front page of the express that house prices are set to rise over the next 5 years......hence again giving me further considerations that if i can keep the property on for 5 years then sell - we might come out in a pretty healthy position.

Whichever way you look at it the greater fools tools are still out there!!!!! And this bloke is discussing about how to get into BTL.....

Top of today's lunchtime news on both BBC News 24 and Radio 5 - Britain's dysfunctional housing market. Plenty of 'experts' wheeled on, mostly from the building trade. The theme is 'affordability', the concensus is there are not enough houses, the answer is more mortgages. Not a single mention of high prices, except the word 'Prices' once on the TV ticker speeding across the bottom of the screen, hardly noticeable amongst the 'affordable, mortgage, building,' etc

Just been on BBC1 Midlands today (regional news) that house prices are set to rise 21% over the next five years!!

Source national housing federation.

HaHaHa Idiots both NHF and BBC, I feel like complaining.

Spiney.

Edited by spiney

I wonder if these very clever people who know that house prices will rise 21% in the next five years can give me this weeks winning lottery numbers.

I presume the 1% is there to lend the forecast credence.

Brilliant. :lol: The twisted mind of a HPCer.

You are right if course.

I mean, how could anyone possibly know what is going to happen five years hence. However, it is mega increases in house prices so that's wonderful news.

This country is completely screwed.

Many of these "forecasts" are nothing of the sort! They are more like prayers! :(:o

Many of these "forecasts" are nothing of the sort! They are more like prayers! :(:o

excellent and very true! :lol:

excellent and very true! :lol:

I'm glad you liked that one! ;)

Still, we are seeing some very devoted "public praying" in a lot of the media, now that the God of the "free market" has turned!

Maybe the "free market" was too free for some after all!

It's not the end of the world at all, but a lot of people who thought they were rich might find out they are not so.