House Price Crash Forum

Madchester - £30,000,000 Ira Housing Assets Sell-off

erranta

HOLA441
The Assets Recovery Agency searched several properties in Manchester on Thursday, an investigation local media said was part of a probe into IRA activities.

The agency said in a statement it had so far uncovered a portfolio comprising 250 properties worth a total of 30 million pounds held by two men.

The agency declined to give details of the identity of the men and would not comment on reports it was linked to the IRA.

"The searches were carried out on domestic and business properties associated with two Manchester-based businessmen," the statement said.

"The Agency has SO FAR identified approximately 250 properties held by both persons and a number of property management companies. The equity in the properties appears to be in the region of 9 million pounds," it added.

Hmm - might start a housing crash up there!

Good for some - get down to those Government Auctions soon!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The people in Mr Murphy's part of the world, Mr Murphy included, are a pretty sharp bunch - outwitted the British authorities for many years. Most see themselves as being collectively involved in the struggle against 'The Brits'. When I was visiting a relation near Mr Murphy's farm, I noticed a neighbour walking all the field boundaries of his property and occasionally sending his dog into dark recesses, and was told that 'all the neighbours do it to flush out hiding Brits or gather intelligence'. Many of the farmers were involved in smuggling of some kind or another, and the British authorities used to turn a blind eye to it, thinking that the wealth generated through smuggling would help turn the attention of people away from fighting them so successfully. The whole region was a no-go area for British army vehicles - it was just so dangerous - all the army bases, and hill-top forts were supplied by helicopter. I think the British army have raided the Murphy farmhouse on several occasions and have even had tense confrontations with the Irish army / Gardai, who have turned up to stop British forces crossing into Irish territory.

It'll be interesting to see whether they actually succeed in confiscating any of Murphy's assets.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA445
HOLA446
Hmm - might start a housing crash up there!

Good for some - get down to those Government Auctions soon!

What kind of mad btl would buy an ex-IRA house, think I'd go for a Russian property first!

HOLA447
HOLA448
I wonder how much dodgy money from Russia, Ireland and elsewhere has been laundered through the UK housing market ? Billions I should think.

And all it's really taken is the stupid British public to buy them. I wonder who Phil & Kirstie are really working for...?

Nomadd

HOLA449
What kind of mad btl would buy an ex-IRA house, think I'd go for a Russian property first!

This story has just been on BBC news. They dont look like BTL type properties.

It looks like a large number of top-of-the-range houses in 'some of the smarter' parts of Manchester are involved.

If the ARA succeed in seizing them and sell them on there could be some bargains around for someone looking to trade up :lol:

HOLA4410
I wonder how much dodgy money from Russia, Ireland and elsewhere has been laundered through the UK housing market ? Billions I should think.

Good question.

producer of limited amounts of synthetic drugs and synthetic precursor chemicals; major consumer of Southwest Asian heroin, Latin American cocaine, and synthetic drugs; money-laundering center

(cia.gov, 2005).

HOLA4411
This story has just been on BBC news. They dont look like BTL type properties.

It looks like a large number of top-of-the-range houses in 'some of the smarter' parts of Manchester are involved.

If the ARA succeed in seizing them and sell them on there could be some bargains around for someone looking to trade up :lol:

Craven have got loads of different types of property ranging from decent housing to a lock up garage..anything goes.

I'm really p1ssed off that they keep saying Manchester...it's actually Trafford (part of Greater Manchester). The area where the guy lives is really...really...really nice (yes really). The curtains will have been twitiching there this morning :lol:

As for bargains..I'm not sure...but I can't help hoping (just a little bit) that this guy has been propping up the local market..and it's all going come crashing down :lol:

Well...I can dream a little but I think we shall just have to wait a little longer for the real crash to take hold