House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

57percent

Insurance Complaint

Anyone made a complaint against an insurance company?

I had a very expensive policy with DogTag and a very simple claim (following a snowboard accident). They delayed for ages, then I had to resubmit the same forms over and over again and resend the same receipts. Now their claims department can't be contacted. Their sales number works and keep telling me the claims department will call, but they never do.

So what can I do? Tried the ombudsman, but just get a auto email reply. The FSA email bounced!!

Have had a DogTag policy for years, but wish I'd read the reviews first as this is obviously normal for them.

I had a very expensive policy with DogTag and a very simple claim (following a snowboard accident). They delayed for ages, then I had to resubmit the same forms over and over again and resend the same receipts. Now their claims department can't be contacted. Their sales number works and keep telling me the claims department will call, but they never do.

So what can I do? Tried the ombudsman, but just get a auto email reply. The FSA email bounced!!

Have had a DogTag policy for years, but wish I'd read the reviews first as this is obviously normal for them.

I had a run in with NFU Mutual.I had a no fault accident with one of their clients who was prosecuted for careless driving.It took four yearts to get them to pay up but I got an ambulance chaser onto them and in total the claim cost a cool £250,000.Could have been settled for £40k.waste of time comlaining though.

Yes, every time I make a claim. The Ombudsman will get back to you eventually and when they do, they generally pay up.

Aviva, following the ash cloud incident last April when I was stuck in the US for four days and incurred about a grand's worth of expenses as a result thereof. When I bought the policy I specifically asked for one that would cover additional costs caused by flight cancellations and delays, whatever the underlying cause of those delays were; the reason being that I'd bought my ticket direct from a US airline and was flying on their aircraft (i.e. not a codeshare flight on an EU airline) and thus I knew that I would not be covered by the EU compensation rules. When I made my claim, they replied that they did not cover 'act of God' delays. Thankfully, I'd made a note of the day, time and name of the agent for the phone call in which I'd bought the policy, and agreed to pay £40 more for one that did cover delays caused by factors outside the airline's control, including the airline going bust. I wrote a letter to their head office with all this information and sent it by recorded delivery (this usually gets their attention in circumstances like this, I find), after which they paid up relatively promptly. But the initial resistance still annoyed me.

I may have imagined this but wasn't their a US insurance company that was prosecuted for the way they dealt with claims? If I remember rightly they would simply turn away every initial claim as a certain percentage of people would just accept it and not try again, any that did they would then investigate and probably delay as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice all.

They have at least called me back now and apologised for taking so long. Said they'd deal with it yesterday .... so see what happens.