House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

Cardiff Woman, 74, Given Asbo For Begging

I thought it was only a matter of time before beggars returned to the streets.

From The Independent

A 74-year-old woman has been given an Asbo for harassing shoppers with her begging.

Following a string of complaints from shopkeepers, officers charged the septuagenarian with a public order offence - later resulting in her being given an Asbo by magistrates.

Acting Sergeant Geraint White said this Asbo was the fourth police had obtained on beggars in Cardiff in recent months.

"We continue to ensure those visiting, working or living in the city centre can do so free from being harassed by beggars," he added.

Mr White added that should Gheorge breach her Asbo she could be jailed, fined, or both.

Cardiff Council deputy leader Judith Woodman said: "Cardiff has a vibrant city centre to be proud of and attracts significant amounts of visitors every year.

"It is unacceptable for people to behave in this manner and I'm pleased a partnership approach involving Cardiff Council, South Wales Police and the CPS has led to this individual being banned from begging and entering the city centre at times when she can become a nuisance to others."

Yes, Cardiff is a vibrant town, it's just that people have been reduced to begging.

Is it really unacceptable to behave in this manner? The Zen monks didn't need to beg, but always maintained it was a valuable function in giving others the opportunity to perform a generous act.

It's hassling people for money that's unacceptable, not the begging itself.

IIRC I've only had this once (I don't look very approachable) which was in London and I said no, I'm not a tourist I live here. This confused him slightly.

From The Independent

Yes, Cardiff is a vibrant town, it's just that people have been reduced to begging.

Is it really unacceptable to behave in this manner? The Zen monks didn't need to beg, but always maintained it was a valuable function in giving others the opportunity to perform a generous act.

Theres a pretty damn big difference between having the opportunity to perform a generous act, and being harassed into it. Hate charity muggers. Hate getting nagged as i'm wandering around town. Make a point of not giving money to any collector at the train station that shakes the money tin at me as i'm walking past, or who blocks off half the bloody exit. The ones who get my money are the ones who stand quietly to one side, clearly marked with what charity they're collecting for, who don't wave anything in my face.

Theres a pretty damn big difference between having the opportunity to perform a generous act, and being harassed into it. Hate charity muggers.

Thing is, I'm not sure you'll make it as a beggar if you're not a little bit pro-active.

Gypsies, as long-time begging professionals, do wave the lucky heather at you.

Do you need the money or not? Those quietly standing in the background are collecting for someone else, and wealthy charities at that.

Those quietly standing in the background are collecting for someone else, and wealthy charities at that.

What makes you so sure? I'd rather believe that they think they're likely to get more money and less grudgingly if they're not up in your face about it. I've got a stubborn streak a mile long - i don't mind giving to charity, but as soon as i catch any sort of implication that i *should* give to charity, i'm more than likely to walk away.

From The Independent

'Cardiff' woman?? With a name like Agripina Gheorge?