House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

A Candle That Burns Twice As Bright

A candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned very brightly.

From blade runner, where Batty asks his creator about more life...

Which would you prefer, to live a long boring and semi comfortable life.

Or to pour petrol all over the candle and set it alight and go out in one almighty blaze of glory (and I don't mean a terrorist incident either).

I'm very much the burn ten times as brightly person...

You?

Or to pour petrol all over the candle and set it alight and go out in one almighty blaze of glory (and I don't mean a terrorist incident either).

You?

What makes you think you have a choice?

How old are you Ken? Things have a nasty habit of creeping up on you as you get older.

You?

Is your subconscious warning you, you are about to have a motorcycle accident?

You a rocket fueled, sky diving, trick motorcyclist canibal, Ken, but strangely an accountant too! :blink:

What makes you think you have a choice?

How old are you Ken? Things have a nasty habit of creeping up on you as you get older.

No he`s going to go out on a canibalistic binge...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article801599.ece

Edit...Like TMT was alluding to, (I think)...age makes us look at life in a very different perspective...

Life is precious and our spirit is what should burn brightly in side of us..

You a rocket fueled, sky diving, trick motorcyclist canibal, Ken, but strangely an accountant too! :blink:

We know all about accountants who want an exciting life.

"I want to be a bandsman..." (Get Some In, a quote from a forgotten episode in a series most people haven't heard of, Tony Selby was the main character)

Why the binary approach Ken? And why the inclusion of the word "boring"?

The best IMO is a long semi-comfortable life with plenty of interesting, satisfying, and sometimes exciting things within it. Everybody needs to sleep at night and work to earn a living.

I'm an accountant and we're not as boring as people say; last Christmas I thought "what the hell" and had a second glass of sherry.

then again ...he may consider not keeping his packet of opened cornflakes in a tupperware container as really living on the WILD side ..... Its all relative

I'm an accountant and we're not as boring as people say; last Christmas I thought "what the hell" and had a second glass of sherry.

Whilst jumping out of a helicopter, pursued by Nazis? You forgot to mention that bit Frank. :huh:

Whilst jumping out of a helicopter, on a jet-ski,pursued by Nazis? You forgot to mention that bit Frank. :huh:

Whilst jumping out of a helicopter, on a jet-ski,pursued by Nazis? You forgot to mention that bit Frank. :huh:

DId you ever get those diamonds to the Columbian embassy and free the totty?

DId you ever get those diamonds to the Columbian embassy and free the totty?

I did indeed Mr Pin, hence the second glass of sherry to celebrate! B)

LEAD PIRATE:

Full speed ahead, Mr. Cohen!

CHORUS:

Up, up, up your premium. Up, up, up your premium.

PIRATE:

Scribble away!

CHORUS:

Up, up, up your premium.

PIRATE:

And balance the books.

CHORUS:

Up, up, up your premium.

PIRATE:

Scribble away!

CHORUS:

Up, up, up your premium.

PIRATE:

But manage the books.

CHORUS:

Up, up, up.

PIRATES:

It's fun to charter an accountant

And sail the wide accountancy,

To find, explore the funds offshore

And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy!

It can be manly in insurance.

We'll up your premium semi-annually.

It's all tax deductible.

We're fairly incorruptible,

We're sailing on the wide accountancy!

LEAD PIRATE:

Oh, this is fun, Mr. Cohen!

PIRATE:

Sail away!...

CHORUS:

Up, up, up...

LEAD PIRATE:

Fetch me another exotic salute. To port! Bring her port to shell out! And the medium guys shell out to port! Balance the books! Bring me another small shellfish, Mr. Cohen...

Would I deliberately sacrifice half my lifespan in order to have a really great time? If the normal course of it is acceptable, no. Would I avoid doing anything at all that could possibly result in an early death in order to get the best chance of the longest possible life? No.

You?

It's not that simple, is it? I'm getting close to my half-century, but I've got wee scars on my face from an Irish shop window blown out in a bomb attack, I've been shot at several times by strangers, I've driven tanks across Canadian snow and trucks across most of Europe, and I've had to put on a wooly-pully in Somalia because the yanks just love their AC!

I've lost count of the amount of aircraft I've flown in, but I've been dumped out of Hercules transports, Chinooks and the old ASR helo's that I've forgotten the name of, while the pilots refused to allow the wheels to come to a complete stop.

I've seen an indicated 200mph on the Blackbird speedo (I know, she's a lying bitch!) and an indicated 70mph on the Transalp as I've hit the hump-back bridge coming back from Glenshee. I've ridden bikes across Canada/Australia/NZ/SA/Saudia (easy stuff for you, but Joe Public is usually impressed with things like that!). In my youth I ridden/driven all sorts of powerful machinery pi$$ed/tripping/stoned, and although I've had several 'offs' on both car and bike, all I've got to show for it are a few X-rays in my NHS file.

I could go on, but you get the gist. Never been too good with women I must admit, but there's some out there who go for the big ugly type, so it's not been a desert!

As has been mentioned, it depends on your age, doesn't it? You CAN burn 10 times brighter, and live to be a very old man, many do, but you'll find that your idea of what '10 times brighter' is will be totally different with 50-60 years under your belt.

I find that I like the quieter life now, with the occasional buzz thrown in.

It's not that simple, is it? I'm getting close to my half-century, but I've got wee scars on my face from an Irish shop window blown out in a bomb attack, I've been shot at several times by strangers, I've driven tanks across Canadian snow and trucks across most of Europe, and I've had to put on a wooly-pully in Somalia because the yanks just love their AC!

I've lost count of the amount of aircraft I've flown in, but I've been dumped out of Hercules transports, Chinooks and the old ASR helo's that I've forgotten the name of, while the pilots refused to allow the wheels to come to a complete stop.

I've seen an indicated 200mph on the Blackbird speedo (I know, she's a lying bitch!) and an indicated 70mph on the Transalp as I've hit the hump-back bridge coming back from Glenshee. I've ridden bikes across Canada/Australia/NZ/SA/Saudia (easy stuff for you, but Joe Public is usually impressed with things like that!). In my youth I ridden/driven all sorts of powerful machinery pi$$ed/tripping/stoned, and although I've had several 'offs' on both car and bike, all I've got to show for it are a few X-rays in my NHS file.

I could go on, but you get the gist. Never been too good with women I must admit, but there's some out there who go for the big ugly type, so it's not been a desert!

As has been mentioned, it depends on your age, doesn't it? You CAN burn 10 times brighter, and live to be a very old man, many do, but you'll find that your idea of what '10 times brighter' is will be totally different with 50-60 years under your belt.

Ken is going to have a nervous break-down in his early 40s. At which point he will either kill and eat people or will rename himself Kennice and have a sex-change. :blink:

I've been shot at several times by strangers,

You really need to leave Dundee.

From aviation:

There are old pilots and bold pilots but not many old bold pilots. You are here to tell your story so consider yourself one of the few.

Like you I have been shot at, caught up in the blast waves of British heat seeking missiles that we sold around the world, mortared (the closest one landed 10 feet away thankfully it was 'bllind' had it gone pop I wouldn't be here now). I paraglide and ride motorcycles, witnessed 4 fatalities - two years ago if I hadn't have been above a midair (100ft) but below then I'd have been caught in their downplane - 150meters down to the deck, big thud both died, one instantly - the second 10 days later from his injuries.

I've been lucky... didn't the IRA once say you only have to be unlucky once re. Brighton bombings?

This kind of thing always reminds me of people who do drugs. They have an amazing time (that's the whole point) but it's like they've used up their lifetime worth of pleasure credits in a few months and can never get them back.

This kind of thing always reminds me of people who do drugs. They have an amazing time (that's the whole point) but it's like they've used up their lifetime worth of pleasure credits in a few months and can never get them back.

Can be true. Then again you get a huge number of 'rock stars' who do serious drugs and bevvy and shagging all sorts - and end up fairly helthy to a decent age.

Of course you also get a fair number that die young. However in comparison to the lives they lead - the odds don't seem too shabby.

Can be true. Then again you get a huge number of 'rock stars' who do serious drugs and bevvy and shagging all sorts - and end up fairly helthy to a decent age.

Of course you also get a fair number that die young. However in comparison to the lives they lead - the odds don't seem too shabby.

They don't do any of yer actual work though ccc. The 40 hours that shatters you by the end of the week. So they do all this then have a week off. People who try to combine this with working for a living just burn out.

They don't do any of yer actual work though ccc. The 40 hours that shatters you by the end of the week. So they do all this then have a week off. People who try to combine this with working for a living just burn out.

Aye suppose so. Still take massive amounts of bevvy and drugs though. Over years and even decades. Not saying it is wise to try - maybe just not quite as bad for you as we are all told ? After all - docs and nurses are some of the worst !!

Ok, I'll give you that one for free, because my mates sprog DID shoot me with an air pistol in Dundee :lol:

Yaaaaas !!