House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Old Skool Pc Games

The thread is inspired by the original Half Life which I'm playing through for a second time, the first time being in 2001 (and thoroughly enjoying it). I'm planning to play through Deus Ex next. Any more suggestions for some more old skool PC playing?

Unreal tournament! Probably run on a modern mobile phone. Amazing graphics for an undemanding game. Reminds me of the way Amiga games/demos used to wring the hardware till it squeaked!

2001? Old skool???

Nope, old skool is 1970s, or at worst early 80s. By the later '80s we had classics like Civilization that have never been bettered (unless you count in meaningless eye-candy).

2001? Old skool???

Nope, old skool is 1970s, or at worst early 80s. By the later '80s we had classics like Civilization that have never been bettered (unless you count in meaningless eye-candy).

And according to wikipedia, Elite goes right back to 1984!

And according to wikipedia, Elite goes right back to 1984!

Now that is a blast from the past, tried playing that on an emulator a while back but didn't have the pass codes :(

Yeah, UT99 was great. For other games of that era there's Shogo and No-one Lives Forever, I still play both of them now and again.

I also second about 2001. It seems retro gaming threads have been around as long as the Web. I remember threads like this from the 1990s. Might have to start calling for super-retro games.

Revolt is from the late 1990s so hardly super-retro but it is a complete game, it is free and it still looks really good especially the 3-D on the cars. Really worth a download

For super-retro how about Carrier Command?

Started out programming on the PET at school.

Then got one of the first spectrums (apparently worth a bit of cash now).

In those days you could get a ghetto blaster and copy the games tape to tape, so everyone had 100's of games, which was useful, as they were crap.

Then they invented ever more silly things to stop you copying the games. Turbo load was a fast, highly unstable loading method. I think the idea was that the recording had to be of such high quality that it was impossible to tape to tape. Problem with this was that not only did it stop the pirating but also stopped legitimate users. I used to spend hours adjusting the volume control on the cassette recorder trying to get the games to load. Elite had this think called lenslock, where you had to put a piece of plastic on the screen that would allow some letters to be legible.

Liked Elite (elite status of course, achieved through sheer tenacity and unwillingness to quit rather than skill). Doomdarks revenge and lords of midnight pretty good as well. And Sabre Wulf.

Got into coding on the spectrum which was interesting. You only had to make one mistake in the machine code and it would pretty much crash the whole system and you would have to reload the assembler and program from scratch - took ages. No error trapping.

I don't know how the pros used to code, maybe with a disk drive to try to speed up the loading process or maybe they used an emulator on a more advanced micro that had more error trapping.

I also second about 2001. It seems retro gaming threads have been around as long as the Web. I remember threads like this from the 1990s. Might have to start calling for super-retro games.

Revolt is from the late 1990s so hardly super-retro but it is a complete game, it is free and it still looks really good especially the 3-D on the cars. Really worth a download

For super-retro how about Carrier Command?

People generally refer to them as 8-bit (spectrum,bbc, commodore 64 etc), 16 bit (atari, amiga).

Retro would be 90's IMHO. Vintage would be 80's and 70's.

As for Retro get the MAME emulator and fill yer boots. Shinobi (Sega) is a classic worth playing through. There are plenty of others e.g area 51, bubble bobble, pang, outrun etc.

Started out programming on the PET at school.

Then got one of the first spectrums (apparently worth a bit of cash now).

In no apparent order I have the following in full working order:

rubber keyed zx spectrum 48k and speccy +

commodore 64

commodore PET

commodore VIC 20

BBC micro

Gameboy

Gameboy Colour

SNES

NES

Gamecube

Sega Saturn

Playstation 1 and 2

Dreamcast

xbox and 360

DS

Master system

PC engine

Megadrive

I think that's it.

Perhaps not old enough (2001-5) , but anyway...

Early 2000's shooter faves..

Max Payne

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Tribes: Vengeance (underated game)

F.E.A.R.

Far Cry

also... Grim Fandango

going back a bit ..

R-type

Total Carnage

Smash Tv

Nemesis

commodore 64

commodore PET

commodore VIC 20

BBC micro

Gameboy

Gameboy Colour

SNES

NES

Gamecube

Sega Saturn

Playstation 1 and 2

Dreamcast

xbox and 360

DS

Master system

PC engine

Megadrive

I think that's it.

Where's your Jupiter Ace, your Dragon 32 and your Oric ?

Also, the holy of holys, the ZX80 ? Have you seen how much they go for on Ebay ?

Perhaps not old enough (2001-5) , but anyway...

Early 2000's shooter faves..

Max Payne

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Tribes: Vengeance (underated game)

F.E.A.R.

Far Cry

also... Grim Fandango

going back a bit ..

R-type

Total Carnage

Smash Tv

Nemesis

R-type and smash tv are classics

Also, the holy of holys, the ZX80 ? Have you seen how much they go for on Ebay ?

My cousin had one of the original home assembly ZX 80 (i think) they (his mum and dad) took it back to the shop. He also had an original Tamiya R/C Subaru Brat which is also worth a small fortune.

My cousin had one of the original home assembly ZX 80 (i think) they (his mum and dad) took it back to the shop. He also had an original Tamiya R/C Subaru Brat which is also worth a small fortune.

I think the ZX80 only came in kit form. It seems to be the one people want. I guess the volume was pretty low compared to the spectrum which sold in millions.

I think the blurb on the ZX80 was that it was the first computer under $100 or £100. I say that they go for a fair bit on ebay these days, but I guess £100 would be worth quite a bit more now as well.

Of course they were bloody shocking. Overheated all the time and had just about enough memory to add two numbers together. But those were the days and best of all it was British !

R-type and smash tv are classics

Aye,

R-Type Final on the Ps2 is well worth a visit.

Midnight Club II was a great street racer from 2003 that is very addictive & hard.

Theres been some ground breaking legendary speed runs recently, (segmented) on the original halo 1 & halo 2 from Mr monopoli at www.highspeedhalo.net

I thought this was going to be about school yard games but it appears to be about computer games.

The first Dooms were brill - Dooms 1 & 2 as were the first couple of Quakes.

The first Duke Nuke'em 3D was hilarious. I never forget nervously walking along corridors hearing female moaning in the distance, thinking that some monsters would zap me any second... then I turned a corner and found a nubile semi-naked chick tied spread-eagled to a bed whilst another girl was whipping her.

You don't get that nowadays in games.

The Last Ninja series for the C64. And Supremacy. Paradroid's a classic too as is Boulderdash.

For the Amiga - Dungeon Master (and Chaos Strikes Back) and Eye of the Beholder.

The Last Ninja series for the C64. And Supremacy. Paradroid's a classic too as is Boulderdash.

For the Amiga - Dungeon Master (and Chaos Strikes Back) and Eye of the Beholder.

The Last Ninja is a fine game

I had a Jupiter Ace! I thought I was the only one!

It was the successor to my ZX81, with cool FORTH instead of basic BASIC.

After that, I ordered a Spectrum and waited for it in vain for 3 months (I now know why, after watching Micro Men) before demanding my money back. I ended up getting an Amstrad CPC instead.

commodore 64

commodore PET

commodore VIC 20

BBC micro

Gameboy

Gameboy Colour

SNES

NES

Gamecube

Sega Saturn