House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Bt To Increase Phone Call Charges By 5%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14677298

Telecoms giant BT is to raise call charges for residential customers by up to 5% on 3 December - the second increase this year.

UK landline calls will go up from 7.6p a minute to 7.95p a minute. Line rental prices will also rise, but calls to mobiles will be unchanged.

The changes come after a 10% rise in call charges a year ago, and a 9% increase in April.

But BT said these prices would now be frozen until 2013.

In July, BT group said profits before tax in the three months to 30 June were up 20% to £533m, driven by demand for home broadband products.

I suppose they need to make up the pension deficit somehow...

And of course the only way to increase the profit figure is by putting up prices.

I don;t give a feck about call charges, I can choose to make less calls and I have my mobile & company mobile which are both cheaper, much so in the latter case! But I need to have a landline and £180 a year is lot of money for a bit of wire:

Under the changes, the cost of line rental for a customer paying by direct debit will rise by 70p to £14.60 a month.

I don;t give a feck about call charges, I can choose to make less calls and I have my mobile & company mobile which are both cheaper, much so in the latter case! But I need to have a landline and £180 a year is lot of money for a bit of wire:

What is it you need a LL for? Are you not in a cabled area? Skype, pc2pc-free, pc2ll (in the doveloped world pretty much) 1.4p/m with 5p connection. Set my mum up on it so she can phone the sis in dubai 15.6p/m verses BT's 61p/m off peak. BT are robbing scum. I much prefer skype as I use the pc for everything so am paying cable anyway.

Edited by zebbedee

My Talktalk contract (£26 a month) gives me unlimited inclusive calls to landlines in the UK and about 30 other countries, plus ADSL internet. I could be on the blower 24/7 if I wanted to and still only pay that £26. I can only presume that BT are imposing this hike because their core customer base (sorry to be stereotypical) consists of little old ladies, for whom the only name they can remember is Alzheimer and have no idea about the Internet, switching providers, etc. etc.

What is it you need a LL for? Are you not in a cabled area? Skype, pc2pc-free, pc2ll (in the doveloped world pretty much) 1.4p/m with 5p connection. Set my mum up on it so she can phone the sis in dubai 15.6p/m verses BT's 61p/m off peak. BT are robbing scum. I much prefer skype as I use the pc for everything so am paying cable anyway.

Some of us are not in cabled areas and have to live with BT line rental to get broadband ... to add insult to injury we only get 2mb broadband on a good day :(

Some of us are not in cabled areas and have to live with BT line rental to get broadband ... to add insult to injury we only get 2mb broadband on a good day :(

Don't be defeatist - see my thread on the off-topic.

I live in the middle of no where and only last week switched my supplier to the 3 network... i'm getting a consistent 1.75-1.9meg download, an unheard of 1.5meg upload speed and am 5.1km from the mast (not bad against my guestimate of 6km. I bet your BT line displays 2meg on the speedtest site but I guarantee you like mine it'll drop down to <1meg for the majority of the download.

I'm using an iPhone as a dongle. The proper MiFi dongle that you can get for £18 per month (15gb limit) gets you much higher speeds not that you need it as mine is a breadth of fresh air.

An anecdotal:

Guy I know (BT engineer) smashed his leg in paragliding a few years back however claimed that he fell off his ladder at work. Retired early as a result (aged 52 now) and changes his 4x4 for a new one every 6 months (dealer apparently does him a good deal) - two weeks ago I couldn't help but think that my line rental was paying for that. Not anymore :D:D

Or not even that. BT are UTTER SH*TE

Don't be defeatist - see my thread on the off-topic.

I'll chat in OT, but if it was just me and the wife browsing then I have no problem with a 3G router, but the kids like to play on the xbox's and the response times on the mobile networks are not acceptable :(

Or not even that. BT are UTTER SH*TE

+1 BT are utter SH*TE! We are in an infinity area so before I signed up to an 18 month contract with BT for infinity I decided to try it first. I stayed at my parents and used their infinity connection for a week and came to the conclusion that it was SH*TE. The BT network management software is so intrusive it makes the connection unusable. I can download my favourite linux torrent faster on my current connection than I could on this supposed 30+mb infinity connection.

BT are on my list of companies that will never get another penny of my money once I find another way ... before anyone says it I know I can get line rental from someone else, but all that does is add a 3rd party into the mix when you have a problem and BT will use any excuse to blame someone else rather than fix the bloody problems.

My Talktalk contract (£26 a month) gives me unlimited inclusive calls to landlines in the UK and about 30 other countries, plus ADSL internet. I could be on the blower 24/7 if I wanted to and still only pay that £26. I can only presume that BT are imposing this hike because their core customer base (sorry to be stereotypical) consists of little old ladies, for whom the only name they can remember is Alzheimer and have no idea about the Internet, switching providers, etc. etc.

IF BT put up line rental talk talk will follow.

We should all talk 5% faster!

Stop paying the BBC licence fee, it's about the same as line rental anyway.

£12.13 per month versus £13.90 from BT.

So around £3.45 billion a year to BT? assuming those with a telephone line also have a TV licence.

I suppose they need to make up the pension deficit somehow...

Very much so. Not sure how many people are aware of this, but the taxpayer guarantees all BT pensions - not just from when it was privatised in 1981, but also new entrants to the scheme. It's called a "Crown Guarantee". If it were to fail, we all pay.

I can only presume that BT are imposing this hike because their core customer base (sorry to be stereotypical) consists of little old ladies, for whom the only name they can remember is Alzheimer and have no idea about the Internet, switching providers, etc. etc.

It is imposing it because it can. because it has the monopoly on the infrastructure in about 48% of the country (the bit that doesn't have cable)

IF BT put up line rental talk talk will follow.

Refer to above infrastructural monopoly.

All we did was turn a public monpoly into a private one over which we have little or no control. Since 1981, and until last year when BT noticed the decline in landline rental (and it's all about the line rental) and some people (typically those who live over 3km from the exchange but near a decent 3G cell) started noticing their smartphones downloaded quicker than their ADSL, nothing was spent on the so called "last mile" - that decrepit old collection of copper and aliminium telephone lines dating back decades.

It's like the trains. If you cannot create a market, privatisation just results in people being ripped off with the assets milked like a cash cow. The market only exists in the areas which have cable since those are the only areas where competition exists. I can order ADSL from anyone, but it still won't provide a workable broadband solution because that requires either a very short length of phone line, or fibre optic cable.

If you had an infrastructual monopoly, would you 1. Seek to provide the best quality solutions possible, or 2. Sit back and collect the line rental in perpetuity since people will just have to accept what they're given?

Some of us aren't in cabled areas, can get ADSL but only at less than 2Mbps, and have a solution ;)

1442016285.png

Relies on you being near enough to the cell, and living in an area where contention is low.

The major irony here is that the cell is almost next to the phone exchange 2.5km away. It's simply that oxygen succeeds as a broadband conduit where 3km of knackered old GPO phone line fails.

I'll chat in OT, but if it was just me and the wife browsing then I have no problem with a 3G router, but the kids like to play on the xbox's and the response times on the mobile networks are not acceptable :(

Average ping on ours is about 70ms so probably just as well I'm not into gaming.

+1 BT are utter SH*TE! We are in an infinity area so before I signed up to an 18 month contract with BT for infinity I decided to try it first. I stayed at my parents and used their infinity connection for a week and came to the conclusion that it was SH*TE. The BT network management software is so intrusive it makes the connection unusable. I can download my favourite linux torrent faster on my current connection than I could on this supposed 30+mb infinity connection.

BT Infinity is traffic managed and is not kind to P2P. You can get the Fibre-to-the-cabinet service from other providers without the throttling, albeit at prices which would make Virgin Media cable customers laugh out loud.

Stop paying the BBC licence fee

I feel much better for not subsidizing biased tripe like Dimblebore's Question Time.

After years of cruddy BT semi-rural broadband, I bought myself a 3 mifi about six months ago.

Works a treat - but this is probably because there's a direct line of sight across the valley to the mast.

I'm waiting to see if increased contention wrecks it for us as 3's all you eat data plans kick in as our patch is not entirely rural and there's plenty of scope for a tragedy of the commons effect to kick in and spoil it.

Slowly The Big ' Giving Up Telly And Landline ' Thread creeps towards the front page... :D

Well gone a week without live telly, and don't feel as "brainwashed."

Its amazing the change not having regular access to BBC News.

I think BT is next on the agenda however.

Edited by John Steed

This is why the charges are going up :

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/taunton_news/9218832.Phone_lines_and_broadband_down_across_Taunton/?ref=mr

Apparently this sort of thing is widespread.

We lost our service for two days recently because toerags stole a length of copper cable - an engineer told me it cost £20000 to replace. They tried to steal it again a week later, but only managed to cut it this time, because BT had fitted an alarm to it. This meant we only lost the service for one day instead of two.

So presumably charges will keep rising until alarms have been fitted to the country's entire copper cable stock...