House Price Crash Forum
GreenWarwick

Starving The Kids To Pay The Mortgage

This letter in one of the prominent Irish dailies getting a lot of interest today..

"Sir, – As I write this letter I am hoping that sleep can provide me with some escape from the anxiety and pain that the economic situation is wreaking on me and my family.

Until recently I have been able to meet my mortgage repayments and provide for my young children. At this juncture, seeing as the part-time work on which I depended has entirely ceased, I have found myself and my loved ones having to cope with a new torment – hunger.

Today I have had nothing to give my children only bread and cereal. My dole payment is completely servicing my mortgage and my savings have run dry on essentials. I dread what each day will bring.

The wolf that I have been keeping from the door has finally moved in. – Yours, etc"

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224303002054

Feel sympathy for him, or disgust that he continues to try to hang on to his overvalued house rather than just throwing back the keys, thereby affording to feed his family?...

A telling comment on how people cling to the modern myth of house ownership even at the expense of their own and their family's welfare?

Feel sympathy for him, or disgust that he continues to try to hang on to his overvalued house rather than just throwing back the keys, thereby affording to feed his family?...

A telling comment on how people cling to the modern myth of house ownership even at the expense of their own and their family's welfare?

Once you go into NE, the only way out is bankruptcy. Not surprising people hang on and hope something will turn up.

This letter in one of the prominent Irish dailies getting a lot of interest today..

"Sir, – As I write this letter I am hoping that sleep can provide me with some escape from the anxiety and pain that the economic situation is wreaking on me and my family.

Until recently I have been able to meet my mortgage repayments and provide for my young children. At this juncture, seeing as the part-time work on which I depended has entirely ceased, I have found myself and my loved ones having to cope with a new torment – hunger.

Today I have had nothing to give my children only bread and cereal. My dole payment is completely servicing my mortgage and my savings have run dry on essentials. I dread what each day will bring.

The wolf that I have been keeping from the door has finally moved in. – Yours, etc"

http://www.irishtime...l#1224303002054

God gave the earth to all inhabitants - therefore a plot of land to build your house-grow some food.

In modern times it is easier to grow prairie scale but means we have been lulled into slavery to their Monsanto Monster seed type companies getting a bigger grip and putting up prices of basic foodstuffs

But with them muscling in taking rising profit margins - is it still beneficial to our Nation?

Why is it in your mentality that usurping wealthy landowners and their co-partners in world crime, usury bankers, (both of whom are left to 'fraudulantly' tweak and skewe everything their way) should have and own it all?

Edited by erranta

The bankers have him exactly where they'd like the rest of us to be - so scared of them that we would rather let our kids starve than stop paying the mortgage. Perfect. I guess they don't call it the death loan for nothing. Looks like the second Irish famine is on its way.

The bankers have him exactly where they'd like the rest of us to be - so scared of them that we would rather let our kids starve than stop paying the mortgage. Perfect. I guess they don't call it the death loan for nothing. Looks like the second Irish famine is on its way.

Exactly.

They kept pumping debt - een free debt down the mouths of those too greedy / too short termist to worry. They knew it would break at some time and they could cash in on the resultant fees, charges, right where the wanted in penury with debt they scribbled into existence.

Its similar to the gold fever trope. I.e. people will cling on to the 'treasure' even at considerable risk to their own lives, and eventually get dragged under by it...

In fiction its a well used trope.

struggle to believe someone would pay their mortgage rather than feed the kids.

....bread and cereal is not starving your kids....there is plenty of free vit c growing in hedgerows at the moment...you don't pay your telephone, gas and electric before you stop buying food....this is a non-story, someone with more debt and responsibility than they can cope with. ;)

Does he not have any family or friends that could help? I'm sure someone he is close too would rather help him out than watch his kids starve. Unless he is too proud to ask for help and would rather starve his kids than take the food from another person.

Hard to believe than he's so hard up he's going without food. Selling the house or going bankrupt and moving into rented accommodation would be preferable to starving to death surely.

Does he not have any family or friends that could help? I'm sure someone he is close too would rather help him out than watch his kids starve. Unless he is too proud to ask for help and would rather starve his kids than take the food from another person.

Hard to believe than he's so hard up he's going without food. Selling the house or going bankrupt and moving into rented accommodation would be preferable to starving to death surely.

Under the situation he would be ask relatives keep his kids fed whilst he carried on living in a home he couldn't couldn't make payment for otherwise.

Aww. My heart bleeds for this moron, not.

How is it going to end well when we have so many stupid people breeding like rabbits across the UK and commonwealth?

Yay, human rights! Fvck yeah, time to invest more in heavy arms stocks.

People under heavy stress don't think too well. Theres probably a bajillion things he could do, but his brain is on a fixed track, a well worn groove of worry.

No doubt you've exerpienced this phenomenon yourself at some point - you've been beavering away at a problem, getting nowhere and then someone has just randomly shown you a very easy way to accomplish what you wanted, probably laughing at your foolishness while doing so.

5 quid a day should be enough to feed a family with nutritious food when times are tough. Porridge for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, standard dinner. Don't forget fruit and veg (that's where the cost comes).

Quite often when they interview these families on TV for the news they are sitting in a living room with a massive plasma screen TV, SKY tv, and games machines hooked up in the background. Usually two cars in the drive way as well.

Be a renter!! Where's the humanity :o

struggle to believe someone would pay their mortgage rather than feed the kids.

Close relative spends tens of thousands doing up his house, which he inherited so no mortgage, and drives new cars.

Kids are fed from a basic food budget, like £15 a week each, when the food runs out the fridge remains empty until shopping day, so the kids are self disciplined to make sure the food doesn't run out.

Money spent on house is seen as an investment, cars are for status and showing off.

Money spent on food is seen as wasted money as you get nothing to show for it..

Close relative spends tens of thousands doing up his house, which he inherited so no mortgage, and drives new cars.

Kids are fed from a basic food budget, like £15 a week each, when the food runs out the fridge remains empty until shopping day, so the kids are self disciplined to make sure the food doesn't run out.

Money spent on house is seen as an investment, cars are for status and showing off.

Money spent on food is seen as wasted money as you get nothing to show for it..

Child abuse

Nothing to do with rumours of debt forgiveness for those with mortgage difficulties in Ireland?

Of course debt forgiveness means debt transference as someone has to pay it in the end.

“I feel that one of our family has been dehumanised by our circumstances,” he eventually manages to say, after he has recounted this story.

I feel dehumanised having to read this rubbish. The Irish Times reports that his 7 year old daughter is eating cardboard. The article also states that his wife doesn't work outside the home. Perhaps she should try to get a job? Even if she made 20 Euros it would help feed her daughter. If my daughter wasn't sufficiently nourished the mortgage wouldn't get paid. Why would you bring all this attention to your plight? If the kids are starving wouldn't this just make their lives more stressful? The story doesn't add up on many levels.

It's quite ironic that they live in Kerry. At least the British won't be blamed for the famine this time around. When I worked in Dublin a minority liked to blame Britain for all of their past ills and they made me feel partly responsible. I didn't have the heart to tell them I was part Irish. They also liked to tell me how many millions of Euros their houses were worth and how strong the Celtic Tiger was. Every other conversation was about investing in BTL. None of them mentioned that the whole boom was based on cheap Euro mortgages and that their country is the recipient of huge EU assistance. It struck me that the people were excessively greedy. The country seemed sparsely populated apart from the Dublin sprawl, yet everyone wanted a fortune for their land and houses.

Britain and the rest of Europe are now propping up this greedy place. I find little sympathy for such shortsightedness.

If he was so shy and honour bound he wouldn't be writing about it in a national newspaper would he?

Britain and the rest of Europe are now propping up this greedy place. I find little sympathy for such shortsightedness.

More accurately they are propping up the british and european banks that lent out the money- at least most of the borrowers were not being paid millions for their alleged 'expertise' in the financial system, unlike the greedy banksters who financed their 'shortsightedness.'

Being stupid is not a crime- lending money to people who you strongly suspect will never be able to pay it back should be. Sure there was complicity on both sides- but one side was a lot more aware of the dangers than the other, and were presenting themselves as knowledgeable experts, rather than the bonus frenzied amoral shites they actually were.

and a free press

The press are certainly not free! The recent News of the World debacle illustrates that the press are in bed with the government. They are not free. You might like to consider the WMD debacle too. Tony Blair lied but made the BBC capitulate over the Dr David Kelly affair. You pay for the BBC through taxation but it is politicially strangled by the government. Britain doesn't have free speech either. It's not possible for me to demonstrate against religion because I can be imprisoned for inciting racial hatred! It's still okay for a Christian or Muslim to demonstrate against non-believers though. It's ironic that British political correctness and fairness is actually responsible for all of this. You cannot even go for a walk in any leafy English village without being on CCTV. The British electorate are like frogs being slowly boiled to death.

Edited by Xurbia

Nothing to do with rumours of debt forgiveness for those with mortgage difficulties in Ireland?

Of course debt forgiveness means debt transference as someone has to pay it in the end.

Not in this case.

Promises on both sides for stuff supposedly occuring tomorrow not following through create no cost.

More accurately they are propping up the british and european banks that lent out the money- at least most of the borrowers were not being paid millions for their alleged 'expertise' in the financial system, unlike the greedy banksters who financed their 'shortsightedness.'

Being stupid is not a crime- lending money to people who you strongly suspect will never be able to pay it back should be. Sure there was complicity on both sides- but one side was a lot more aware of the dangers than the other, and were presenting themselves as knowledgeable experts, rather than the bonus frenzied amoral shites they actually were.

Yes, you are correct that the banks are equally as stupid and greedy as the people. If Ireland defaulted it would trigger a crisis.

Ireland made a big mistake remaining in the Euro. They will leave eventually though when they default. The Irish had a chance to really make something of their country. They don't have to pay for an expensive military overhead because they rely on the rest of us to help them out. They have a young population and a country with ample room to grow. They get huge grants from the EEC. They can attract business with low corporation tax rates. Instead they've blown it all.