House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Acronis Backup Software

I recently had a drive failure and needed to use the Acronis True Image 2010 software that I had purchased. What a load of rubbish, even after hours on the phone with their tech support, it still wouldn't work. To add insult to injury, Acronis are now trying to sell me the 2011 version. On principle, I requested a refund which they have flatly refused as they say the software is very old (2010 very old?). You only find out if backup software works when the shit hits the fan. What a shower :angry:.

Fortunately, I was able to restore my data using Windows Backup that is free with Windows 7.

So the moral of the story is don't trust your backups to Acronis.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I really appreciate your feedback. product cannot be refunded as this is a very old product. We do understand that you faced issues while recovering your data. However this is one odd incidence. please try to take a new backup and see if the issue reappears.

There are so many customers for Acronis who take the backup and restore, I really apologize for all that happened in your case. Please be assured that I will send the strict feedback who ever responsible for this situation.

As of now I would request you to please give us just one chance so that I can work on this and if the same issue appears again, you will be provided assistance from Acronis Expert team.

I am sure that you will give us one chance to work on this case, and I hope we will fix this up.

Why would I need to do that when Windows backup actually works?

So they want you to give them a chance and aren't even offering a token gesture? *****.

Yup!

Here are some of the emails.

My name is *******. I am a Support Professional with Acronis Customer Central.

Thank you for your response and providing us the valuable feedback.

I have already forwarded your feedback to the concerned department and hope for your suggestions to be incorporated in our future releases.

It is indeed unfortunate that we failed you at the time when you most needed Acronis. I take the responsibility on behalf of our previous technician’s inability to be able to comprehend the issue thoroughly and I pledge that the same mistake would not be repeated in future. I also accept the fact that the solution delayed is equivalent to solution denied.

Would appreciate deeply if you continue your association with Acronis on the basis of same faith with which you became a part of Acronis family earlier. We will do everything we can to better your experience in future.

Any feedback from your side is most welcome. Thank you again for your co-operation.

For further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Okay.

If you can provide me with the full latest version, not a trial, I'll give

it another try. But, I will still continue to backup with Windows Backup in

parallel in case of further issues

Thank you for your e-mail. My name is ****** ****.

I really appreciate your patience and great cooperation. I would appreciate if you can purchase a full version for Acronis True Image Home 2011 Upgrade.

There is a special summer offer on the website where you will get the Upgrade version on a very amazing price USD 17.99

Acronis has 30 days money back guarantee if you face any technical issue and we did not solve it.

Please let me know if you have any other issues with Acronis products.

We look forward to your reply.

Purchase? You are adding insult to injury!

I have already purchased one of your products that is not fit for purpose,

do you think I am stupid?

I now, on principle, formally request my money back. If I have not been

reimbursed within the next ten days, I shall seek advice on some of the many

relevant Internet forums.

I tried Mozy for online back-ups because it was rated top of the bunch in a Sunday Times article.

What I ended up with was a super slow PC, random drive letter changes and a nonsensical back up.

I contacted them and got a refund very quickly. And rightly so. They were selling rubbish.

You say they refused a refund... and you're going to accept that? Get letter writing and start kicking up. You have every right to get your hard earned money back!

I tried Mozy for online back-ups because it was rated top of the bunch in a Sunday Times article.

What I ended up with was a super slow PC, random drive letter changes and a nonsensical back up.

I contacted them and got a refund very quickly. And rightly so. They were selling rubbish.

You say they refused a refund... and you're going to accept that? Get letter writing and start kicking up. You have every right to get your hard earned money back!

I have only just begun :D.

I've heard good things about Paragon.

I use a combination of Carbonite (good) and Genie Timeline (OK-ish) to continuously back up my files, both to an offline location and to a second HD on my PC.

I'd like to ultimately drop Genie for Oops! Backup, which would allow me to backup to more than 1 HD at the same time, something that no version of Genie Timeline does. That way I could simultaneously back up to my external HD as well.

In theory, even if my PC or (heaven forbid) my home were reduced to a pile of ashes, I'd still have my data.

I've used acronis for years and never had an issue with it. Although I never do a live backup always offline via a boot CD.

Although I have started using the paragon backup tool as it's free and I've not had any issues with that either.

However just to be devils advocate for a moment why didn't you test the back up before you needed it? :ph34r:

I've used acronis for years and never had an issue with it. Although I never do a live backup always offline via a boot CD.

Although I have started using the paragon backup tool as it's free and I've not had any issues with that either.

However just to be devils advocate for a moment why didn't you test the back up before you needed it? :ph34r:

I had no issue with it either.... until the one time I really needed it :(.

It verified okay under windows, but when my drive failed and I had to restore it to a new SSD from a backup on a USB HDD, booting from a DVD boot disk, it kept coming up with an error and aborted.

I had a second string to my bow and that was Windows Backup, so I didn't lose any data, but wasted a day trying to restore using Acronis which I had considered to be my front line defence.

I had no issue with it either.... until the one time I really needed it :(.

It verified okay under windows, but when my drive failed and I had to restore it to a new SSD from a backup on a USB HDD, booting from a DVD boot disk, it kept coming up with an error and aborted.

I had a second string to my bow and that was Windows Backup, so I didn't lose any data, but wasted a day trying to restore using Acronis which I had considered to be my front line defence.

I was more meaning you didn't do a test restore?

Out of interest did google reveal if it was a known issue?

Have you still got the image?

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/faqs.html

Why not try and see if you can convert the image into a vmware usable format, providing it's your Windows partition?

I was more meaning you didn't do a test restore?

Out of interest did google reveal if it was a known issue?

Have you still got the image?

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/faqs.html

Why not try and see if you can convert the image into a vmware usable format, providing it's your Windows partition?

I do backups every week or so. If I were to do a test restore every time it would take ages, and anyway, if it failed it would be a major hassle.

As I said, Windows Backup got me up and running again so I have no interest in messing about with Acronis any more. It let me down, it's history.

I must say I've used Acronis for years also with no problems other than when I first used it and tried to do a recover on the fly (that was fun but my fault), I tried that paragon thingy and found it far to cluttered whereas Acronis is a charm to use. I always do a full achive from the bootcd though and verify the archive.

That said since win7 all things microsoft seem to be looking up, is that because they've just ripped off linux :)

Me too, but I've only ever done images and the data is always backed up with some other program, so I'm guessing OP was using a daily backup program from this company. Can't fault the imaging software, never, ever had a problem with it and piece of p*ss to use.

Me too, but I've only ever done images and the data is always backed up with some other program, so I'm guessing OP was using a daily backup program from this company. Can't fault the imaging software, never, ever had a problem with it and piece of p*ss to use.

No, it was an image, I only use image backups and have done for over ten years, Power-Quest Drive Image was brilliant but has issues with Windows 7 . Acronis True Image would not restore using the Acronis boot CD, it just kept coming up with an error and aborting :(.

Windows Backup image worked perfectly after booting from the Windows 7 CD. I have now made a Windows 7 boot USB flash drive which I keep with my USB hard disk that I keep my images on.