House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Fat Tax

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8722709/Tax-unhealthy-foods-or-half-will-be-obese-by-2030.html

Those traffic light nutrition guides on our food will no doubt be leading us down the path of the above article :rolleyes:

Our government have already done a 'Sterling' job inflating the price of all food in the last few years. Branded junk food is up 100% already (cadbury's fingers £1.99 for 125gram, walkers crisps up from 78p to £1.58 for six bags) own brand niceties up 40%

Don't we pay 20% VAT on luxury junk foods already.

I enjoy the odd kebab (was £4.70 now £7.80) after my pint of beer (used to be 2-3pints) and when it comes to McD's can't say I am whiter than white. All in moderation though and I am in no way obese (5ft9, 67kg)

If this goes ahead and they tax food as punitively as tobacco then I can genuinely see bootlegging/counterfeiting of food becoming an underworld possibility. Before the criminals step in I'll be buying a cheap and cheerful microlight for jaunts across the channel :D

Edited by tomposh101

Back to the discussion of charging obese people for 2 seats on a plane or train. Well the radio commented on it again. An ex obese guy made the sugegstion (if he really was?).

Personally, it seems harsh, but I guess it would kick a few into losing weight to save some money. Cash is the incentive, and not just a few pence on a McD's.

Annecdotal - Guy at check in refused to pay for extra baggage weight as he said that he and the luggage weighed less than the person next to him. And the airline gave him that!

Fair play.

In an ideal world, fruit and veg would be free to everyone and all other foods would carry a tax based on the fat content (including stealth fat like sugar).

Something needs to be done about obesity, and leaving it to 'choice' obviously isn't working.

Buckers

Why? Fat is an essential food component, so why tax one essential and not others? Fat isn't the problem, overconsumption of it is.

In an ideal world, fruit and veg Fondue and Raclette would be free to everyone and all other foods would carry a tax based on the fat content (including stealth fat like sugar).

Something needs to be done about obesity the lack of ski/boarding slopes , and leaving it to 'choice' obviously isn't working.

Buckers

Hope you dont mind ive taken the opportunity of fixing it for you

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

In an ideal world, fruit and veg would be free to everyone and all other foods would carry a tax based on the fat content (including stealth fat like sugar).

Something needs to be done about obesity, and leaving it to 'choice' obviously isn't working.

Buckers

Nothing needs to be done to combat obesity , what needs to be done is scrap the NHS and make the entire health system user pays.

This way people that choose to eat healthily don't have to pay for fat slobs high medical costs.

UK can't afford the NHS anyway , might as well cut the cord right now.

Why? Fat is an essential food component, so why tax one essential and not others? Fat isn't the problem, overconsumption of it is.

Quite. Clearly the answer is a 30% blanket tax on foodstuffs.

Nothing needs to be done to combat obesity , what needs to be done is scrap the NHS and make the entire health system user pays.

This way people that choose to eat healthily don't have to pay for fat slobs high medical costs.

On the other hand, I'm quite happy for over-worked, thin, bankers, lawyers et al to subside the NHS for me, so keep it!

Edit: Seriously, this thread is not even past the first page and you've raised the NHS issue already...

Edited by efdemin

Quite. Clearly the answer is a 30% blanket tax on foodstuffs.

How about a new law, that food stores are only allowed to be on the top floor of any building, and no lifts or home deliveries are allowed?

I don't think they should scrap the nhs but maybe stop support for self inflicted illness like obesity. No one made you obese but yourself so they can't expect someone else to foot the tab when they get ill because if. Ditto for smokers and lung cancer etc

The trouble is that the basic ingredients for fattening foods are dirt cheap.I watched a Turkish guy making up his Doner meat and it was all the offcuts,at least 60-70% fat.Maybe we could have police hit squads knocking in the doors of KFC's with their Big Red Keys and arresting the masterminds behind the business (Well they are usually Graduates in there)

I recently lost 15kg over 6 months.Basically if you stop eating fat you stop being fat.Simples.

I don't think they should scrap the nhs but maybe stop support for self inflicted illness like obesity. No one made you obese but yourself so they can't expect someone else to foot the tab when they get ill because if. Ditto for smokers and lung cancer etc

Is that also ditto for people participating in sports like football, rugby, jogging or horse riding who get injured and need NHS treatment?

We either go the Jack Dee route (search Youtube for Jack Dee NHS) or we provide a lot more carrot to help people change their habits.

The trouble is that the basic ingredients for fattening foods are dirt cheap.I watched a Turkish guy making up his Doner meat and it was all the offcuts,at least 60-70% fat.Maybe we could have police hit squads knocking in the doors of KFC's with their Big Red Keys and arresting the masterminds behind the business (Well they are usually Graduates in there)

I recently lost 15kg over 6 months.Basically if you stop eating fat you stop being fat.Simples.

and I've recently lost 9kg over the last four months by cutting out processed carbs and replacing them with fatty foods

It's not that simple

If this goes ahead and they tax food as punitively as tobacco then I can genuinely see bootlegging/counterfeiting of food becoming an underworld possibility. Before the criminals step in I'll be buying a cheap and cheerful microlight for jaunts across the channel :D

Southpark have already covered this. Carman ends up bootlegging KFC and doing drug-dealer style deals with the colonel who throws people out of helicopters if he thinks people are informing on him.

Is that also ditto for people participating in sports like football, rugby, jogging or horse riding who get injured and need NHS treatment?

We either go the Jack Dee route (search Youtube for Jack Dee NHS) or we provide a lot more carrot to help people change their habits.

Sliglhty different as they are accidents and couldn't be forseen even if they are a possibility. No one eats loads of food and ends up obese by accident same if you smoke as you know you very likely to get lung cancer.

All taxing stuff does is cause more hardship for those who are sensible and don't over do it. Making the majority suffer for the actions of a few.

apparently, 40% will be obese.....thats good, cos 40% of me is quite large already.

The other 60% of me is doin just fine.

Southpark have already covered this. Carman ends up bootlegging KFC and doing drug-dealer style deals with the colonel who throws people out of helicopters if he thinks people are informing on him.

+1

Not seen that before... had a look on YouTube :D

Many moons ago I used to do some work for an Asian family whose business was the import of chickens from China, literally off the back of a fleet of lorries and bypassing stringent quality controls. His mark up was 1000% and a few supermarkets were taking off him (think 'not just any food' ;).

edit: the family were multi-millionaires with helicopters and an extensive BTL portfolio in a particularly sh*t area of Telford beginning with 'P' ending with 'slee' - another clue for 'P' first word of PPR as used in aviation. :D

Edited by tomposh101

edit: the family were multi-millionaires with helicopters and an extensive BTL portfolio in a particularly sh*t area of Telford beginning with 'P' ending with 'slee' - another clue for 'P' first word of PPR as used in aviation. :D

When did this thread turn into the Times crossword?

<br />Why? Fat is an essential food component, so why tax one essential and not others? Fat isn't the problem, overconsumption of it is.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thank you. Someone else who understands the facts. In basics, there are 5 food components that we all need to survive and that contribute to a healthy diet: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, Minerals and Vitamins.

My old Nutrition teacher in the 80's, Mrs Carbuckle I think her name was, drummed the following into us religiously:

"There's no such thing as a health food, there is such a thing as a healthy diet"

Sliglhty different as they are accidents and couldn't be forseen even if they are a possibility. No one eats loads of food and ends up obese by accident same if you smoke as you know you very likely to get lung cancer.

Don't agree personally, whether they are small or not there are risks when playing sport. Nobody is forcing people to play sport and nobody is stuffing cakes into peoples mouths.

Go in to A&E any time at the weekend it's packed out with people with sports injuries or something alcohol related.

I'm not against people taking responsibility for their actions and if an obese person needed a knee replacement because of the stress they caused due to over eating I'd be more than happy for it to be refused on the grounds they had done it to themselves, but equally somebody with a sports injury would have to suffer the same fate.

but equally somebody with a sports injury would have to suffer the same fate.

Which is why I don't skydive in the USA. Sure you can join the USPA for a month for $20. But this only covers 3rd party. Stick in medical insurance and you're looking at $500 for insurance for a week!