House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Shops Report Worst Trading For 40 Years Amid Fears That Fall In Consumer Spending Will Lead Britain Back Into Recession

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2030252/Shops-report-worst-trading-40-years-amid-fears-fall-consumer-spending-lead-Britain-recession.html

High Street stores are facing some of the worst trading conditions for 40 years – amid fears that the collapse in consumer spending could tip Britain back into recession.

Optimism among retailers had slumped to its lowest level for two years following a dismal summer blighted by the riots, said the Confederation of British Industry (CBI).

And the boss of the Co-operative Group warned that trading conditions were the worst for decades.

High inflation, over indebtedness, low interest rates, credit bubble, it's almost as if there's some sort of link....

High inflation, over indebtedness, low interest rates, credit bubble, it's almost as if there's some sort of link....

Nah surely not, I thought wolves and vampires were keeping the shopping away, or maybe hooded youths? :blink:

Sorry chaps who run the shops and economy, I'd love to spend some of my rapidly devaluing dosh and fill my place with more useless shit, but it's already packed to the gunwales.

Of course, if I could just afford to move to a bigger house then I'd have more room to put it in. But sadly my salary of ~3x the national average and the couple of hundred grand i have in the bank wouldnt buy me more than a 3 bed semi round here. And seeing as I already live in a 4 bed semi, you can see my problem.

Sorry.

Really, come on. One weekend mainly in London in non shopping areas, at night.

These consumers are a fickle, fragile bunch... a bit of cold weather, warm weather, a sporting event, a royal wedding... it all puts them spending. :rolleyes::lol:

could tip Britain back into recession

Nonsense.

As if we ever came out of recession. :rolleyes:

Perhaps everyone is "saving" for a big shopping spree, for Christmas and the sales this year? :unsure:

Savings? Pah! Say hello to my flexible friend.

creditcards.jpg

Nah surely not, I thought wolves and vampires were keeping the shopping away, or maybe hooded youths? :blink:

Even worse, zombie hoodies.

Shaun+of+the+Dead+1.jpg

You'd expect shops to be hit anyway by the rise and rise in Ecommerce.

I'm not saying there aren't problems - there obviously are - but looking at these figures in isolation is as much use as looking at Heathrow numbers (which iirc are up this year).

We need a real tangible state of the economy indicator. House prices, perhaps? ;):lol:

Sorry chaps who run the shops and economy, I'd love to spend some of my rapidly devaluing dosh and fill my place with more useless shit, but it's already packed to the gunwales.

Of course, if I could just afford to move to a bigger house then I'd have more room to put it in. But sadly my salary of ~3x the national average and the couple of hundred grand i have in the bank wouldnt buy me more than a 3 bed semi round here. And seeing as I already live in a 4 bed semi, you can see my problem.

Sorry.

If you work for a living - when do you expect to get to the shops? Or will it be online shopping from your desk..?

If you work for a living - when do you expect to get to the shops? Or will it be online shopping from your desk..?

I employ people to spend my money for me: I call them the wife and kids. But if this recession/depression/lost decade keeps up, i may have to let them go.

of course, if we let a few shops go, and banks, go to the wall, rather than having special lending schemes for half dead companies, then the rest of them, the healthy ones, making profits and not relying on ever increasing growth to cover their debts, then those healthy ones would see a serious upturn.

of course, if we let a few shops go, and banks, go to the wall, rather than having special lending schemes for half dead companies, then the rest of them, the healthy ones, making profits and not relying on ever increasing growth to cover their debts, then those healthy ones would see a serious upturn.

My business turnover is -70% this year (Cars) As far as I can tell from talking to other dealers that's in line with the norm.I used to carry £200k worth of stock.This morning it's 55k.I suppose I have 70% less stock so maybe I should not be surprised but in the current situation I really don't feel like having that kind of money sitting out there.It's knocked on to everyone I deal with,Parts, Advertising,even the chap who comes round to do the "touching up" on the nags.He just told me he's halved the Mrs's housekeeping.

Edited by profitofdoom

My business turnover is -70% this year (Cars) As far as I can tell from talking to other dealers that's in line with the norm.I used to carry £200k worth of stock.This morning it's 55k.I suppose I have 70% less stock so maybe I should not be surprised but in the current situation I really don't feel like having that kind of money sitting out there.It's knocked on to everyone I deal with,Parts, Advertising,even the chap who comes round to do the "touching up" on the nags.He just told me he's halved the Mrs's housekeeping.

we are on Austerity too.

Lost a couple of clients who are also cutting back or gone...

Its going to be tough

i've seen this with the dealerships i drive past, their stick levels dwindling.

out of interest, what do you deal in, is it mainly second hand £5,000 to £20,000 market?

out of interest, what do you deal in, is it mainly second hand £5,000 to £20,000 market?

Most expensive is £6995.In the last month every deal I have done has been someone whose car has died.Accident/MOT/Big

mechanical failure.Nobody buying out of choice.

Stagflation it is then.

It's been that way for a while, hasn't it?

No increase in real wages for what seems like years and zonking inflation in expenditure that can't be avoided - accommodation, petrol, energy, food . . .

Online business will continue to gain share of retail sales, but I imagine that spend must be well below forecast too.

I had a rare pub lunch the other day. Big place, opposite a retail park. I was the only one there for an hour . . . four staff and a kitchen assistant with nothing to do. I don't suppose my half of bitter and the baked potato chili exactly covered the overheads.

Yep, some of the over-extended over expanded stores that look wealthy on the face of it are relying on sales to cover the costs.....let the sickly expire to enable the healthy to thrive. ;)

It's been that way for a while, hasn't it?

No increase in real wages for what seems like years and zonking inflation in expenditure that can't be avoided - accommodation, petrol, energy, food . . .

Online business will continue to gain share of retail sales, but I imagine that spend must be well below forecast too.

I had a rare pub lunch the other day. Big place, opposite a retail park. I was the only one there for an hour . . . four staff and a kitchen assistant with nothing to do. I don't suppose my half of bitter and the baked potato chili exactly covered the overheads.

Opposite experience to me then, I had a Pub dinner yesterday around 7pm and it was packed. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a table and the waitresses were running all over the place serving people. This is in a pub which is out of town too and not near any houses so not like it was just locals in there.

Maybe it just depends on the time of day.

stick levels deffo dwindling....its all the houseowners buying sticks to put in vases.