House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowflux

Hurricane Irene Headed Directly For New York

Will they blame Al Quieda for this one ? :lol:

No, it's the usual suspect Al Niño and his wife La Niña. Yanks have never gotten close to seizing them though.

I have not been following this but I just read that they are evacuating New Jersey or something - is that true? Is that just panic or common-sense? Is this a Katrina style size storm? Surely it will lose energy before it reaches that far North?

I have not been following this but I just read that they are evacuating New Jersey or something - is that true? Is that just panic or common-sense? Is this a Katrina style size storm? Surely it will lose energy before it reaches that far North?

Does THIS LINK work for you? (Scroll down to the 'FWD' button.)

Anyway it'll "just" be the Jersey Shore evacuated.

I am at ground zero for Hurricane Irene. My primary residence on the Intracoastal Waterway, with 19 glass doors and wall to wall windows, is my first nightmare. My four-story Surf City beach house faces the Atlantic, and backs to the Intracoastal Waterway. I am, what they called, self-insured, aka phukked. People in glass houses should not live where there are Hurricanes.

Even those with insurance may not be able to come up with their 5% deductible. A good hurricane will send a lot of high end houses back the the banks. That will not be great news for the banks, either. Then there will be the flooding. What are the chances that the only thing keeping FIMA from being busted will be QE3? Where will the private insurance companies get the money to pay out. Can you say TARP 2?

I'm trying to send my wife and daughters away. Kids who stay and survive hurricanes are sometimes traumatized for life. And after the storm, of course, the real fun begins. There will be busted houses, flooded streets and no electricity. It can get pretty uncomfortable in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity with no air conditioners, or even a fan. In a town like Carolina Beach, where home prices have already fallen 46%, look for real estate to recover in maybe 25 years from now.

You may not be hearing from me for a while, but if I ever get back to the net, I will give you all a full report.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/map-of-the-day-new-york-city-hurricane-evacuation-zones-2011-8#ixzz1W5GstLf8

Looks like she is going to pay dc and nyc a visit.

This could be a major event.

It won't be, unlikely to even be a hurricane by the time it hits New York. Scotland gets worse storms every year.

It won't be, unlikely to even be a hurricane by the time it hits New York. Scotland gets worse storms every year.

Erm ... Scotland's more exposed parts may routinely get stronger winds. But that's just one element of the tropical storm, and nowhere in the UK gets an intensity of rain that could even begin to compare to it! And I suspect anything man-made on Scotland's more exposed parts may tend to be robust and functional ... perhaps more so than the land of extravagant follies.

Erm ... Scotland's more exposed parts may routinely get stronger winds. But that's just one element of the tropical storm, and nowhere in the UK gets an intensity of rain that could even begin to compare to it! And I suspect anything man-made on Scotland's more exposed parts may tend to be robust and functional ... perhaps more so than the land of extravagant follies.

People talking about a "major event" don't mean a few.houses in the Hamptons getting damaged, they mean Manhattan and I suspect the buildings there can take a bit more wind and rain than an isolated cottage. The day after tomorrow is fiction you know.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16057517

]Hospitals and Nursing Homes in parts of New york have been ordered to evacuate.

New York's mayor Michael Bloomberg has said anyone living in those regions - around 250,000 people - should be ready to evacuate if necessary.

A decision about ordering a general evacuation of what is America's most populous city will be made no later than Saturday morning, with the storm set to hit on Sunday.

The governor of New York has declared a state of emergency and officials will later open 147 shelters with room for about 70,000 people.[/b]

Around 65 million people on America's East coast live in the projected path of the storm.

16057314.jpg

Photos From Space of Irene

581574main_image_2043_946-710.jpg

The last time a hurricane hit near NY was in 1938 - it wrote off 8,000 houses. I am amazed this has been moved off-topic.

The population living on the coast is much denser now. Millions of home owners have no insurance let alone hurricane insurance.

weakening already, may not even be a hurricane by the time it gets as far North as New York. They get worse nor'easters in Winter almost every year.

MICROWAVE DATA AND

OBSERVATIONS FROM THE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT THE INNER CORE HAS

ERODED. ALTHOUGH IRENE WILL BE MOVING OVER WARM WATER DURING THE

NEXT 12-18 HOURS...THE LACK OF AN INNER CORE WILL LIKELY PRECLUDE

ANY RESTRENGTHENING. ALTHOUGH NOT SHOWN IN THE OFFICIAL

FORECAST...IRENE COULD WEAKEN JUST BELOW HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE

REACHING SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

My link

We had an electrical storm here in SW Poland a few nights ago, I've never seen anything so intense and I'm not a spring chicken

Rapid flashes of lightning without break and the most severe winds and rain I have seen since I was in the States one night in 1981 or 82, it was spectacular, I'd never seen anything like it outside of a TV documentary